Commonwealth Cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Commonwealth Cup 2017

This topic contains 169 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Ghost of Rob V Ghost of Rob V 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

There was an update on Blue Point as Charlie Appleby nominated 5 horses from his stable for this season.

Regarding the Commonwealth Cup prospect he stated:-

“He has thickened out well and has strengthened up. He looks like a sprinter. He has a big backside and is thick through the shoulders.
    “He went out to Dubai for the winter and has done all the right things ahead of his three-year-old career. We will work back from the Commonwealth Cup and look towards the Sandy Lane at Haydock as a starting point.”

The Sandy Lane is run at the end of May and was won by Quiet Reflection last season. She went on to win the Commonwealth Cup next time, so Blue Point is treading a proven path.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

Thanks for the info, Steve; this sounds quite prominsing.
    If anybody has any news about Mrs Danvers and her route to the big race,
    please post it here as well, will you :yes: ?!

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Here’s the trainers website Hein.
    Might be of interest to you

http://www.jonathanportmanracing.com/

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

Thank you Nathan, it is indeed.
    Only when I click on “entries” it doesn’t open at all, But I hope her first run will be published early enough..

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Mrs Danvers is running tomorrow at Chantilly.

The race is the Sigy Stakes, a Group 3 6F race.

Due off at 4.50 UK time, there are 10 runners. Ze Turf give Mrs Danvers the nod in their preview forecast, with Fas, nominated as the main danger.

Chantilly Sunday 4.50 Mrs Danvers

Enjoy!

Racing Post Card:-

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/204/chantilly/2017-04-09/673005

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

Mrs Danvers is running tomorrow at Chantilly.

Thanks a lot Steve, this is essential information for me,
    because without your post I would probably have missed her :good: .

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

Has anyone got an idea of MD’s chances tomorrow?
    There are also 2 Germans in this race, I can confess they will be no dangers, as we only breed good stayers..
    But how are the French horses to assess, do you know them already, Steve?

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

The free French to English translation service I used provided the somewhat limited interpretation of the Ze Turf preview for Mrs Danvers.

Mrs DANVERS: unbeaten in five attempts addition-handle in the past year, this British competitor does not hesitate to perform the move on our soil, on the occasion of its race of autumn this season, and, even if this has never occurred on such a long distance, there is no doubt that it has the means to continue its series victorious. Difficult to move its services before the blow!

My take on it is that the filly is proven on late season soft ground. She is tackling 6F for the first time but has the potential to cope with the extra furlong and extend her winning sequence.

Quite what “Difficult to move its services before the blow!” means is a mystery to me.

I don’t follow the 2yo 5F horses in France, as it is the ones that are going to head to the Classics I am looking for. I am not aware of the form on the locals but Mrs Danvers is top rated by the Racing Post. I feel she was a strong finisher over 5F last year and should get the 6F. The main worry for me is if she trains on. Fillies in general and particularly fast ones have a habit of not bringing their A Game back from their 2yo season.

I would have to wait to see how she looks before the race tomorrow and know what the odds were before thinking of a bet. She has the talent but it’s a new season and it’s the time of year when bubbles are burst.

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 642

Thank you very much, Steve!
    I probably will share your bottom line to only watch this race as a foundation for a future assessment of one of my four-legged heroines ;-) .

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I decided to back Mrs Danvers at 15/8 today.

I feel if she is going to win races this season, this may be as good a time for it to happen. If she is to fail to progress it is likely to be as the season progresses that other 3yo horses catch up and pass her by.

I feel on balance she is likely to get away with 6F and as an unbeaten filly, she commands a certain respect.

Also running today is Cloth Of Stars and he got back on track three weeks ago, after winning twice last year and then being beaten the next twice. I think the son of Sea The Stars is the one to beat today and at 2/1 I doubled him up with Mrs Danvers for something to watch later.

4.10 Chantilly Cloth Of Stars 2/1
    4.50 Chantilly Mrs Danvers 15/8

TheGun
    TheGun
    Participant
    • Total Posts 186

Is there somewhere you can watch French races live, Steve?

seaing stars
    seaing stars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 67

At The Races are showing some races from Chantilly today, if you have that.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Is there somewhere you can watch French races live, Steve?

If you register on Ze Turf you can watch them live. You don’t have to deposit any money to watch the races. You can get the replays without registering but I am not sure how long they keep them up on the site.

As said, At The Races sometimes have them but they seem to have the knack of clashing with another race. The Ze Turf site lets you watch it in peace but the commentary is in French. The picture quality is high.

I just watched Cloth Of Stars finish fast and late to win by an ultimately cosy neck to land the first leg of my double. The commentator’s call of Cloth Of Stars termine avec une grande vitesse pour gagner
    was enough for my dodgy French to interpret that he had finished well to win.

Come on Mrs Danvers!

ps Crikey, just noticed Cloth Of Stars came right in to be returned 4/6 Fav. 2/1 was like Christmas.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Good Luck with Mrs Danvers Steve.
    I too backed Cloth of Stars for a couple of nuggets after doing the same last time and him winning, I didn’t see today’s race but it sounds like they played him very late. The last race he traveled so well and possibly got to the front too early as he was pressed late on so perhaps that was the plan today to leave it late.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Sadly the party is over for Mrs Danvers.

Looking at her before the race she hadn’t grown an inch from last season. In the race she kept tabs early doors but it was soon clear she was beaten. The game was up too early to blame the extra furlong, although she did weaken to be beaten a long way.

In my opinion she just hasn’t trained on, she looked a shadow of herself today.

Fas absolutely hosed up. Far bigger and chunkier than Mrs Danvers the colt looks a promising sprinter worth keeping an eye on.

Hard to say what next for Mrs Danvers. Back to 5F and down in class would be essential but I won’t back her again. That looked a classic “Hasn’t trained on” today. :negative:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 170 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.