The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2019

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2019 Champion Hurdle 2019

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6127

He must have been all over the place in his chase schooling.

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

Gordon Elliot said this about Labaik today “There’s been no decision yet. He’s just back in light work. There’s a few things to be sorted out there yet”.

The positive of course is that he is back in training. What we don’t know is the plan nor how long it will take for ‘light training’ to turn into ‘full training’. I can’t imagine they would send him over fences given they’re trying to bring him back from a nasty injury.

It’s always nice to try and find an angle in the betting and I wonder whether Labaik might provide to be the desired betting opportunity. I know he’s had his problems with starting a la Mad Moose but I understand from a Festival perspective they are able to use a loud-sounding whip (very techical term) to initiate the desired fight or flight response.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

Full of ability anyway CNC- i think he has a few ownership problems let’s say…

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

Yeah Labaik runs in the Green, White & Orange silks of Varadkar Racing now.

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

OMG – I see what you mean. I must have missed the story but have just looked it up. What a mess. I think it’s fair to say as long as this is going through the courts then Labaik won’t be running anywhere soon, especially as one party would appear to be suing another for loss of earnings due to a career-ending injury. It might not look so career-ending if he were to suddenly show up this season. What a mess. Poor Labaik. Thanks for drawing my attention to the story.

Participant
    • Total Posts 722

Samcro, Laurina, Melon, Summerville Boy and Buveur Dair. We’ve got ourselves a race here.

• Total Posts 14937

I was sleeping, and completely the missed the 33’s on We Have A Dream, and best I can get now is 20’s FFS.

That would be a decent line up, with hopefully We Have A Dream stepping up to that standard as well.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7207

The CAB got most of John Gilligan’s empire from him in the end…that yoke is small beer in comparison, reckon CAB and the courts will laugh at the scumbag.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7179

Laurina 12-1 ew here. Mullins confirmed its the target and the mares allowance could come in handy.

• Total Posts 14937

That’s a fair price Mike, and the more I look at her, the more I like her myself.

In a quandry, as trying not to have an early play in the race, but Laurina right up there with We Have A Dream after reading that news. I could see her price evaporate quickly, and I don’t want a shafting on the price with the pair of them.

I agree with comment made by Botchy about Mohaayed as well, and I like a dark one in my list.

I’ll have to make a call on this soon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 722

12/1 a very good each way shout for Laurina but I’d be careful. If Benie Des Dieux doesnt make it to The Mares Hurdle then Laurina could be thrown in there. Just because the plan is the Champion now doesnt mean she’ll end up there but I suppose at 12/1 you’re getting value for the risk

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7179

They’ve got Limini as well even if Benie don’t make it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 722

True, Mike :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

Of the potential challengers:

Samcro, could be unbeatable.

Melon, could improve again and is likely to show up well here again, given its a championship pace + he seems to need that to be at his best.

Laurina, looks superb, beating little, but ratings and times suggest with a mares allowance she is up with the best novices of last year. Will she go here? Initial signs sound positive, but don’t they every year?
    All it will take is an injury to one of Limini or Benie and she’ll be right in the mix for here as long as they have a CH contender. It’s also possible, Apple’s Jade will come back to her best (given Elliots stable tour) which in my opinion would beat Benie.

Summerville Boy- what a win in the supreme. However, he’s a terrible price for two reasons. 1) He will need to jump better 2) The ground will probably not be as soft this year.

We Have a Dream- Looks a good horse ,but dont a lot of 4yos? Won’t be winning this year IMO.

If the Cap Fits- probably the one i am looking forward to seeing again, and i could make more of a case for him at the price than the two listed before him here.

Saldier- i think he will do a footpad, wrong age for this, and is a lovely leggy type for chasing next year.

So far i would be betting:

Samcro
    ITCF e/w

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7179

So Samcro is going for the champion hurdle. I think its a mistake myself as he is built like a chaser.
    Not sure he would necessarily have the pace on a good ground champion hurdle but time will tell.
    They may even go back to chasing if something beats it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 893

I am sure many people share your view Mike but there’s no way this decision has been taken likely. He will be showing people far more qualified than you or i things at home on top of what he has already that make them believe he could win a CH. As you rightly say, could always go chasing if all doesn’t go to plan

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7179

:good: :yes: B-) :bye:

Willie Mullins plans to take aim at giants Samcro and Buveur D’Air in the Unibet Champion Hurdle with star mare Laurina.

The five-year-old has won all four starts by a total of more than 52 lengths since arriving from French trainer Guillaume Macaire and is set to begin her march to Cheltenham in Ascot’s Coral Hurdle on November 24, a race won by the Mullins-trained mare Annie Power in 2013.

Laurina romped to an 18-length win in the mares’ novice hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival last season before a first Grade 1 success at Fairyhouse, and Mullins thinks she has the talent to shake up the best.

After watching Laurina do her morning work ridden by regular partner Paul Townend, the multiple champion trainer said: “The Champion Hurdle is the plan; she could be special. She is unbeaten with us and her owner is very keen to give her the opportunity of going down the Champion Hurdle route rather than the mares’ hurdle.
    To me, looking at her, she could go novice chasing and be a Grade 1 mare over fences. She is a fine, big mare with scope. But, anyway, we will train her with the Champion Hurdle in mind.”

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.