The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Retirements

Home Forums Horse Racing Retirements

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 528 total)
  • Author
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1695
    The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

Aye Tonge, thats the way to go out.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Brighton is one of my favourite tracks and I am pleased they are naming a bar after this marvellous horse.

But, if they ever name a race after him too, please make it a race over a trip he actually won at and a Class he was actually competitive in.

Thanks in advance.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12756

What a lovely story Tonge and happy retirement to Pour La Victoire a fantastic horse to own.
    Brighton will miss him but they have ensured he will always be remembered.
    Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 410

Lovely to hear about Pour La Victoire :-)

This thread seems the best place to also mention an “unretirement” – Lady Buttons has returned to training as it seems she is not going to be able to become a broodmare. It sounds as if connections are going to take things gradually and see what she tells them about whether a return to the racing is appropriate.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1637

Caspian Prince has been retired, after an old injury flared up.

One word: ledge.

Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 266

Sir Maximilian has been retired at the age of 12

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 410

Some wonderful old Flat performers bowing out recently :-)

The classy French-trained In Swoop, last year’s German Derby winner and second in the Arc, has also been retired due to injury.

Wishing them all long and happy retirements.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 410

Prince Of Arran, placed in the Melbourne Cup three times, has been retired https://www.racingpost.com/news/hes-been-a-superstar-for-me-prince-of-arran-retired-after-kempton-run/509061

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1695

Nicky Henderson has announced that Altior has been retired. He’s going to Mick Fitzgerald’s. A legend at his peak and pleased to see they’re not making him struggle on now that age has clearly caught up with him.

MoyenneCorniche
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Was lucky enough to see him in the flesh on 9 occasions and he won every time.

He had a 4 year period where he was unbeatable, proper horse.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1481

Glad Mick Fitz is getting him , he was always his biggest fan , not surprised especially as Nicky has the new 2 mile king

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3610

A truly magnificent horse

What a sight it was watching him power away after the last fence like he had 3 more gears than every other horse in training

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1746

Altior was a fine chaser but my favourite performances by him were over hurdles.

His win at Kempton on Boxing Day when he hit a flat spot but then powered many lengths clear was pure class.

I was convinced he would win the Supreme and he ended up winning one of the strongest ever renewals, beating Min and Buveur D’Air with plenty of good horses strung about behind. If he had stayed over hurdles, he would have won a Champion.

A pity the end of his career was marred by Henderson and his nonsense over the ground on Tingle Creek day but he was a great chaser and I hope he has a nice, long retirement.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

I remember being at Newbury in February 2015 and having a decent bet on Barters Hill at 12/1 win only in the concluding bumper.

There were a couple of Henderson likely sorts in there, but I thought they might not be unduly knocked about and took them on.

In hindsight I was VERY fortunate.

For the pair were Buveur D’Air and Altior!

Altior was a marvellous horse, a cracking novice hurdler, a cracking novice chaser and a good Champion Chaser.

He often took a while to pick up, but then relentless surge once he did….

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 528 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.