Barry Geraghty

Home Forums Horse Racing Barry Geraghty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 185

Seriously caught sleeping there

TheBluesBrotherTheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1073

He is going to get the sack, his ride yesterday on Champ was bad enough nearly running out, but his ride today on Buveur D’Air was so bad it is the stuff of nightmares, he is definitely passed his sell-buy date.

Mike.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

That was a shocker. Sheer complacency. Even if he had won it would have been bad ride.

I am not an odds on punter but the horse got backed from 1/4 to 2/13 in the minutes before the off. Plenty of people must have got their fingers burned and are entitled to feel very aggrieved.

Reckon McManus will give Mark Walsh the job soon. He is far better than Geraghty now.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 185

Plus Coleman showed him how it’s done at Newbury , I’d say he won’t be around to much longer

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

It may not have been Barry Geraghty’s fault.

From today’s Racing Post;:

Dual Champion Hurdle winner Buveur D’Air looks set to miss the rest of the season due to the freak injury he suffered at Newcastle.
    He returned with a splinter of wood in his foot after his defeat at 2-13 in the Fighting Fifth Hurdle on Saturday.
    Trainer Nicky Henderson said on Sunday morning: “They are about to operate on the injury now at the Donnington Grove Veterinary Surgery.
    “It is very serious and I hope it’s not career-threatening, but we won’t know for a week or two. However, it seems certain we may have to give the rest of this season a miss.
    “It’s like having a large splinter under your nail and the only way you are going to get it out is to go in and operate on it. The only good thing about all of this is that the injury has not touched the horse’s coffin bone, which is just above the hoof.”
    Henderson described the injury as a “freak” occurrence on Racing TV later on Sunday and said: “It’s not possible to even think how you could do it.
    “It has gone in through the top of the coronet band and right underneath the hoof. It’s very sore.
    “The good news is that the coffin joint hasn’t been affected, which is very important. Now it’s a matter of getting this piece of wood out from under his hoof but they’re going to have to open the hoof to let it come out.”

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 185

He missed the start , that was his fault

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Thought Barry had a senior moment at Newbury and luckily looked up just in time. Not that ITV saw it that way of course.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2041

Lol at this thread :negative: :negative:

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4596

I think some apologies are due when you see the injury Bouveur suffered. :wacko: :wacko:

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2347

Why would he get the sack, im missing the point here?

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 88

I accept a partial apology is due because Buveur D’Air picked up an injury which clearly compromised his chance after it was sustained. However, I still maintain Geraghty rode a tactically poor race. Read Henderson’s comments afterwards. He said the winner got away from us and we had to chase him down. It is fair to ask why did an experienced jockey like Geraghty riding a dual CH winner and 2/13 chance let an outsider get away from him? The poor jump at the second last was due to the pressure he was already under. I am NOT blaming Geraghty for the injury. That was very bad luck and I hope the horse is going to be OK. However, no one can convince me that was a good ride – and I am not talking through my wallet either!

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 185

Don’t understand why an apology is needed , I started the thread stating he was caught sleeping , watch the start of the race …he was caught sleeping , personally I don’t believe he has ridden as well since his return from injury , we,ll see how his season goes from here

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1292

I think he jumped the first six hurdles without the splinter and until he reached the 2nd last, where he picked up the injury, he was already beaten.

Geraghty stopped being a top drawer jockey some 10 years ago. I never was a fan of him and never will be.

Ricco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 60

My gripe with Geraghty is that I think he’d rather win 5 races looking cool and producing a horse just in time to win by a head, than win 10 in the correct manner and ride the horse to it’s best merit.

He’s obviously a talented jockey, but the amount of times he’s asked a horse too late, or luckily just in time when it’s had enough in the tank to win by ten lengths is laughable.

To keep it’s handicap down, to not overtax the horse, to look good when winning…. No, just get the bloody thing home first!

Whether he got it wrong in this race I don’t know, but I do know with a different ride BVD wouldn’t have had a lump of wood stuck in his leg. Personally I think he should have asked BVD for more on the turn, he would have been closer and less stressed at the second last for the mistake. It seems the mistake was just one of those things, Cornerstone Lad clipping the hurdle in front of him was probably what did it, Geraghty’s fault???

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2149

I think he jumped the first six hurdles without the splinter and until he reached the 2nd last, where he picked up the injury, he was already beaten.

Already beaten? He was upsides not long after the last but just didn’t go through with it or Cornerstone Lad found that bit extra when he got to him. Whether he didn’t pass because of the injury who knows but it definitely could be an excuse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.