The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Barry Geraghty

Home Forums Horse Racing Barry Geraghty

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17025

He definitely didn’t tell me first.

He’s had plenty of knockers over the years, but I didn’t mind him at all, and that ride on Sire Du Berlais in The Pertemps was one of my favourites.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 519

A very good jockey and a gent. Good luck to him with whatever he’s got planned for the future.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 686

It feels a bit like Ruby Walsh’s retirement last year. Back after a serious injury, one more season where he was a bit selective about what and where he rode and then call it a day. It is not unexpected given his age and rotten luck with injuries.

But what a way to go out. Five winners at the Cheltenham Festival! I thought he was very good on Epatante and the Champ race will live long in the memory.

And to be associated with all time greats like Sprinter Sacre and Moscow Flyer is really something special.

Looking back at this thread, I still stand by what I said about the ride in the Fighting Fifth. Cheltenham aside, I am not convinced he was riding as well in his last few years as he was in his prime. Having said that, his ride on Sire Du Berlais in 2019 was superb.

My personal favourite memory of Geraghty is his ride on Kicking King in the 2005 Gold Cup. He was on the best horse but it was a beautiful ride. I am sure he would have won a second Gold Cup but for injury.

It will be interesting to see what he does in retirement. Best of luck to him.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3639

Good luck to him with whatever he does next :good:

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 44

He was one of my favourites, it’s the end of an era, with the likes of him and Ruby retiring.

I’m sure that there will be a bit of speculation around who replaces him as retained rider for JP McManus.

I can see a scenario where Mark Walsh and Aidan Coleman split the rides, before Jonjo O’Neil takes over all being well in a few years.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 759

Jesus is jonjo making a riding comeback , lol seriously I could see junior getting it in a few years , I’ve said on here numerous times the jockey who should be getting the next big job is Sean Bowen …bit left field but could jp tempt Nico away from the Henderson yard ?

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2775

I loved Geraghty as a jockey.

Tactically versatile and horses rarely put down oh him
    There was a period where he struggled to win the big races but I think this was partly due to JPs horses lacking talent, particularly the chasers.

He’ll make an excellent TV analyst

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.