The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Barry Geraghty

Home Forums Horse Racing Barry Geraghty

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2261

So might JPM ;-)

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2261

There were three other jockeys caught sleeping as well. OK they didn’t fight out the finish but they were all left at the start by Brooke’s cunning thinking.

Ricco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 60

“He was making a bit of noise” or “Found to be lame the next day” would be an excuse, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen “He’s out for the season” used in that manner…

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4806

Why not praise the enterprising ride given to the winner than choosing to slag off ONE of the jockeys that missed the start??

If you are going to be critical at least be critical of ALL the jockeys that gave the winner a soft lead :unsure:

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1496

Sorry Raymo, when you’re responsible for 13k to win 2k it is a bit different than when you’re riding a 16/1 shot.
    And let’s not forget the ones he rode as instructed for the bloke with the green and golden sleeves.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2540

How is it different ruby, thats a really flawed perspective, jockeys want to win regardless if its 1/100 or 100/1? Not to mention your factoring in that jockeys should care about the odds a horse is before the off, when they shouldnt..

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1496

They all want to win, regardless of their odds. But when you carry the money of an entire nation, the pressure is a lot higher. You can’t take too many risks and are even more focussed than a jockey on a 50/1 shot whose race is likely to end a lot earlier.
    All that I know is that people loved blaming Ruby for his falls on a hot favourite, but NEVER ANY OTHER jockeys from the same race.

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 523

I must admit I am no fan of Geraghty and the ride he gave BVD was poor. Regardless of the injury BVD got it was a poor ride.
    However what I cannot understand is how the racing press seem to blame Champ rather that Geraghty. The horse got him out of trouble but blaming poor Champ in my eyes was poor. It’s not that he’s never ridden there before.
    Personally I don’t bet on horses that he rides I try and find an angle against him. It works more often that not.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 380

He gave defi a competent ride yesterday , he’s a good jockey but like many older jockeys in good jobs he,s not going to this a average horse at a fence …self preservation

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1496

Sizing John – his final ride of the year knuckled on landing and fell.

Champ – his first ride of the year fell when in command two out.

The bad run continues.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 404

As I posted on another thread, the fact he was having a sneaky look around and ended up on the deck was not good.

Not convinced he was at his best on OK Corral either.

He is a real puzzle because I voted for his ride on Sire Du Berlais as the best of 2019 – but that might have been my wallet talking!

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2516

Not exactly sure this contributed to the fall all the same.

Horse has jumping frailties it’s that simple.

I don’t love BG at all btw.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 404

No, I don’t think it did really. All I am saying is if I had lumped on at odds on (not something I do) I would prefer my jockey to be concentrating on what was ahead of him rather than looking around.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17337

Announced his retirement tonight.

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 482

Well spotted. Yet to be covered by Racing Post or Sporting Life.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.