The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘Coolmore and Godolphin’

Home Forums Horse Racing ‘Coolmore and Godolphin’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 646 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Surely the rule of thumb is—you pick the best available for group1 races? No?

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

I’m more interested in the horses. He must have a pretty clear idea what he’s going to run at Epsom and I think he should be sharing it with us instead of playing this ludicrous guessing game.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Whoever the Coolmore team put on their horses is a vote of confidence in the jockey. They would not put a jockey up if they thought he might not be up to the job.<br>I believe they would let Fallon have his choice, but until he returns, I think the team are picking who rides particular horses. Kinane is probably prefered when available and Spencer may get the odd ride. Hefferman seems to ride most of the stable’s horses when top names are not available.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Well of the 19 still in at this stage, the RP have jockeys "booked" for 6 of them, which are:

Authorized – L Dettori<br>Kid Mambo – Joe Fanning<br>Petara Bay – Dane O’Neill<br>Regime Dwyer – Martin Dwyer<br>Salford Mill – Ted Durcan<br>Strategic Prince – Eddie Ahern

This leaves 13 others, 8 of which are APOB.

The non-Coolmore horses are

Aqualeem – R Hills?<br>Arabian Gulf – Seb Sanders?<br>Eastern Anthem – K McEvoy<br>Leander – R Hughes?<br>Lucarno – Jimmy Fortune

Which leaves the 8 Coolomore horses and a number of jockey options. Based on last years Derby, where the stable saddled 4 runners, the pecking order would appear to be

K Fallon<br>M Kinane<br>J Murtagh<br>J Heffernan

So ignoring Fallon (obviously) and assuming APOB has only 6 runners at the most, I would reckon that the other 3 rides will go to:

C Soumillion<br>C O’Donoghue<br>J Bowman

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Fortune is suspended whilst Soumillon has been claimed by the Aga to ride at home.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Whoops – forgot about Fortune’s supension!!

D Holland has ridden for Ballydoyle before so he could get the call there

Regarding Lucarno, others with no ride include:

C Catlin (7% SR at EPS over last 5 yrs)<br>P Robinson (11%)<br>T Queally (23%)<br>S Drowne (7%)

Can’t think of any others who might get a spare ride

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Why don’t ballydoyle give Mc Donagh and Smullen a ride? the 5 that def will get 1 is Kinane, Heffernan, Murtagh, Bowman and O Donaghue. Possiblity of Gerald Mosse and Theirry Thuillez getting a ride as they did in the french guineas. Also Pesilier must have a shout with his wins on Cockney.

(Edited by Money on at 10:20 pm on May 28, 2007)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

It’s unlikely Ballydoyle will give a ride at Epsom to a French-based jockey. More likely to give it to a British based jockey. Soumillion is an exception for obvious reasons.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Dunno whay they wudnt give a french jock a ride when they are givin Bowman 1?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Dear Artemis<br>Lets make a distinction between a vote of confidence and facts. A vote is decided on the numbers. Facts are what happens during a race.Regardless of the outcome of an election do you believe that young Heffernan is a recognised group 1 jockey?<br>Young Hughes got abused on this forum for his riding recently. Do we apply the same standards to young Heffernan? My belief is that young Heffernan is not a group1 jockey yet.Whatever he rides will not win the Derby!

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Remember Bill Williamson and Ballydoyle?<br>What if Franki is deemed not capable of giving his very best on Authorised due to the injuries he received in his latest fall?<br>I know he will swear that he is fully fit But can he get a doctor to do the same?And if he is not deemed fully fit will the trainer and owners stand behind him when a derby is at stake? Would you?

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

andyod,

Basically I agree. Hefferman is unproven as a top race jockey as yet. However, at some stage he is going to become one given a fair wind. He gets plenty of rides for the stable, so they obviously rate him quite highly.<br>As you say, he will not be on any of the stable’s main Derby hopes, so his mount will be a very unlikely winner.

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

I think its fair to assume at this stage that Heffernan will never become a top jockey. Whilst he is professional and dependable, those who have watched ride on a daily basis in Ireland know his limitations – he uses the whip poorly in the backhand position for one and unbalances horses. I would imagine the other leading home based jockeys will be amongst the riders …. Smullen, Berry, McDonogh etc

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

colinf,

If you and others who watch him ride every day see his limitations, then you may be right. I’m just surprised that such a prominent stable persevere with someone who is merely an adequate jockey and use him so regularly – maybe keeping the saddle warm for the return of a true champion.

Anyway, thanks for that. I don’t see much Irish racing, probably to my shame.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Quote: from andyod on 2:31 am on May 29, 2007[br]Remember Bill Williamson and Ballydoyle?<br>What if Franki is deemed not capable of giving his very best on Authorised due to the injuries he received in his latest fall?<br>I know he will swear that he is fully fit But can he get a doctor to do the same?And if he is not deemed fully fit will the trainer and owners stand behind him when a derby is at stake? Would you?<br>

I rem Last year the fri night before the Derby, Martin Dwyer was dumped off Sirens Gift 3 times and she had to be withdrawn and Martin was a big doubt for Sir Percy as he had a injured wrist i think. He ended up takin the ride and the rest is history

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 646 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.