The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Chase 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Ascot Chase 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

It’s already set aside Raymo, to make sure it’s still there in a month’s time :good:

GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1165

On his win in the same race last year, Wexfordman, which was underrated IMO. WP has probably not shown the same level of form this year because this was effectively his first run since. However, WP has still beaten Politologue by the same amount he always beats him, going right back to a novice chase at Haydock a couple of years ago, with the classy FN in the same cluster as also was the Peterborough Chase winner and very good handicapper Aso was several lengths behind that group.

Even the most conservative judgement of the merit of Cyrname’s performance makes him the second best horse in training behind Altior.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Cyrname was remarkable. After the energy he put out last time, I thought he might struggle today. Nicholls changed the horse’s training regime before his last race. I’d love to know what he did.

Waiting Patiently in his best form would never have beaten him, but the Jefferson horse never looked comfortable and between the last two looked distressed to my eye. I strongly suspect a wind problem.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Oh, and well done Graham. Sounds like you’ve had a good day.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1087

Golden, I’d have to take the opposite view, the form of last year’s race is quite poor. Cue Card was a shadow of himself last season, Frodon has improved a lot this year but has only one a couple of handicaps and beaten a boat in Elegant Escape and a 155 horse in Terrefort. Top notch is an abmirable consistent performer but below grade 1 class

In short, I haven’t seen any evidence that WP should have been rated 170. A rating of 170 is very hard to reach and he’s been given that rating based on very very windy form in only one race.

Compare how windy the 170 is, with the consistent top class performances of Un de Sceaux, with a hatful of grade 1’s running and showing consistent high class performances, and ran Altior to only 4 lengths. Yet he’s rated 168 and was only rated above 170 once in his career.

I’d also seriously question the 173 given to Clan Des Obeaux after the King George. With ratings like this, is it any wonder that UK marks have been gradually inflating over the years, leaving irish horses well handicapped.

botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3666

Could we have our new Bristol De Mai ? :unsure:

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

Cheers Joe :good:

DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Wow, what a performance by Cyrname.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Visually impressive again (and a good time compared to the rest of the card) but lets see if he can do it going left handed before I get too carried away with him being the next coming, a 181 RPR seems to me an over reaction especially when you could question the overall form of the race.

I think WP is a full on soft ground horse (don’t expect to see him at the Festival unless it is proper soft ground) and has been overrated on his defeat of a declining Cue Card last year, Fox Norton was doing a little too much early on and (bar his Aintree win) looks more like a 2 miler and although he has won G1 races I have never been entirely convinced by Politologue at the top level (can’t really put my finger on the reason for that though).

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1498

Can’t stop rewatching this fantastic race. He broke the course record, was about 15 seconds faster than anyone else on the card and the jumping was even better than Best Mate’s.

Am I crazy or is this the highest rated horse in the country? Saturday’s performance should easily put him somewhere near Altior and I dare to say that he hasn’t stopped improving yet. Haven’t had any bets on him yet, but I just want him to get there in one piece for the Ryanair.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

Just be careful if Cyrname does appear in any markets for Cheltenham Ruby, Nichols in an interview
    suggested he that he likes going right handed and “is unlikely to go left at next months Cheltenham
    Festival”. He indicated that his targets would be the Punchestown Gold Cup in April, and the King
    George VI Chase 8 months later. It’s a pity we won’t see him there, but on the 2 courses he has run
    at which were left handed (Newbury and Chepstow), he jumped to the right at Newbury and ran no sort
    of race at Chepstow. So, great horse that he is, it does look like the festival is not for him.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2575

I agree Ruby, looks superb. The horses he beat have all shown Ascot form as well.

Thank goodness for my Ryanair bets he looks to be swerving it!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1165

There’s two schools of thought again this year about the Ascot Chase (see long thread re 2018 version). Both renewals have featured excellent performance/s and both have been underrated. For various reasons it still hasn’t been possible to prove that about last year’s race despite Frodon’s good season (he went off too fast in 2018).

I repeat that Cyrname’s effort makes him second best horse in training behind Altior. As I say, there is divided opinion on here. What mystifies me about those who have the opposite view and about rating services is, same as last year, going into the race everyone is agreeing what a tremendous field it is, full of top level, proven performers. Indeed they nearly all held every chance early in the straight. Then a horse comes out and demolishes them, is visually impressive and PUTS UP A GREAT PERFORMANCE ON THE CLOCK. Suddenly some people are claiming about those he beat that they aren’t that good, deriding their past form, making excuses for their effort on the day!

It’s a crock. The one genuine excuse is that Waiting Patiently MAY have needed the run, however, I reiterate from my earlier post: he CONFIRMED PREVIOUS FORM WITH POLITOLOGUE VIRTUALLY TO THE POUND.

Wake up you naysayers!

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2570

You should always look at these with caution, twice at ascot twice given an easy time of it, twice over the same trip, twice over the same ground, these are not coincedences, has never shown this level of form before these two runs etc etc

If you take it totally at face value everytime youll be on the way to the poor house

You also cant say wating patiently confirmed the form to the lb with Pol because pol did not confirm his form with charbel, so who never ran to form then? Doesnt work like that, none of that matters in reality because you know that WP needs it a hell of alot softer to be shown to best effect (i dont think hes that good anyway tbh) in reality if you believe that politologue ran to his best form (when he beat min) youd rate cyrname well into the 180s, which is NOT realistic,

Was a great performance, be cautious going forward, if he wasnt dependant on a particular set of circumstances he would be 100% going to cheltenham no questions asked…. but theres was questions being asked …. immediately after he did that…

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

He looks a right tool now they’ve managed to train him with the rest of his string. Hood taken off has helped wonders also. Rest looked to run their race to me, he was just in another parish.

What i would like to see is if what he’d be like with something hassling him up front. I would expect Willie or Gordon to adopt this in the Punchestown GC, but he might just be too quick to lay up with.

The best thing is that this could be the beast that shows how good Altior really is if they meet over 20F :yahoo:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.