The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Champion Hurdle 2007

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Champion Hurdle 2007

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

What is so intriguing about the current crop of top hurdlers is how much contrast in styles there is between the leading contenders. You couldnt make it up….

For this race im tempted by Hardy at 4’s . He seems rejuvenated this year and whilst BI is the most likely one to battle to the line…the 6/5 leaves me cold

Not and Iktitaff fan. Has ability… but resolution? Macs joy and asian maze have a few too many questions to answer this time around

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think i’ll wait until the day of the race.. If Macs Joy looks fit and ready and there’s no "coming on for the run" i’ll back him.. For me he’s a bit too quick for BI on the flatter track.. If he’s carrying condition BI will win

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Brave Inca beat Macs Joy a few times last season on different tracks…how does that make MJ a bit "quicker"? Brave Inca will not only prove he is too tough for them….but simply too good for them.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Perhaps he means that when the emphasis is on speed at 2m. i.e on good going or faster, Macs Joy would probably get from A to B faster than Brave Inca. I’s agree with that. Though such conditions are unlikely to prevail on Sunday and with Macs Joy returning from an absence, Brave Inca is the one to beat.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Brave Inca has beaten Macs Joy on good ground twice at Cheltenham….still does not stand up. Because Brave Inca does not race as flashy as Macs Joy does not mean he is slower, just lazier.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Since when has Cheltenham placed a particular emphasis on speed at 2m?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

MJ surely has the quicker turn of foot? And isnt there a feeling that MJ isnt exactly suited by the uphill slog to the line at Cheltenham?

I doubt if MJ will beat BI on Sunday, for the reasons DJ states, but a steady pace good grd flat 2 miles…different matter

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Aidan, flatter track? Cheltenham? :o  

I’m not saying he’s a better horse, for me there is very little between them, I thought last year at cheltenham the jockey (geraghty I think, can’t be bothered to look)  should have gone earlier on Macs Joy as once you get into a battle with BI there tends to be only one winner. Punchestown proved that on a flat track with the right tactics MJ is just as good.

But Sunday given the lay off I’m not really tempted to back him unless he turns up looking a million dollars

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Brave Inca has beaten Macs Joy at Punchestown and Leopardstown also. Punchestown proved nothing…end of a long season where Brave Inca was on the go for a long long time.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’ve made this point before but i’ll make it again, they ran the same number of times last year. So it’s not really an excuse.

And like I said I think they’re basically the same in terms of ability. MJ slightly better turn of foot, BI stays and battles better. Round punchestown I think MJ would win 6 or 7 of 10, the reverse if they were running round cheltenham. The hill suits BI better as it nullifies MJ’s turn of foot somewhat.. If I had to stake my life on it, i’d probably side with BI, but at the prices and as my life isn;t on the line i’ll take MJ

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

In my opinion macs joy wont be fully wound up, even if he has done alot of work at home because he is being aimed at the champion. i think he will run a big race but end up 3rd or 4th. i cant really see asian maze winning. iktitaf will run a big race, but i dont think he has the bottle to out battle brave inca and hardy eustace, and i think hardy eustace may just show brave inca he still has it

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Wouldnt suprise me at all if Macs joy’s fine trainer had him close to his best. Would need to be if this is his last run before cheltenham

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

just looked at macs joys form and he has never won first time out even when fancied

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Dave, sorry to be pedantic but he won his ever race, he also won first time out over hurdles in 2004, admittedly after a run on the flat..

Clive, they may run him in the red mills, although I don’t think he gets 20f, but if he needs it, it’s an option.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

ok, i will give you first time out ever, but a race on the flat got him fully fit for his return to jumping. i really dont think he will win on sunday. his trainer wants him peaking at cheltenham, although i dont think he will win that either as he is best on a flat track. his race will be at Punchestown in april again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.