The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2019 Grand National

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2019 Grand National

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 519 total)
  • Author
    jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2263

Superb VTC. Go with your heart though….Rathvinden!!!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Quelle FarceQuelle Farce
    Participant
    • Total Posts 198

Sandymount Duke reported out (racingtv.com), which should mean Bless The Wings is in.

Joe Farrell next in the queue!

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

Joe Farrell and The Young Master would both be of interest if they’re able to squeeze in.

I’m likely going to stick with what I have plus either of those two should things conspire for them. It just hasn’t been my year.

Ultragold :unsure:
    Walk In The Mill :good:
    Vieux Lion Rouge :wacko:
    Singlefarmpayment :mail:
    Joe Farrell :whistle:
    The Young Master :unsure:

KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 468

I was very surprised to see Warriors Tale still in the line up. I really wanted him to run in The Topham, but if he does run here I will still bet him, although it does look too big a trip.

bobbyjo1999
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Hi gang,
    Just looking back at a re-run of last years GN,it’s wasnt the greatest round of jumping by TIGER ROLL,he clattered a fair few fences but I suppose with being a small horse that was always going to happen,he’ll need to take a bit more care this year :good:

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26478

Not the race I watched, Bobbyjo.
    Tiger Roll isn’t the most flamboyant jumper. He’s no Rock The Kasbah. But if looking at what the horse actually did: even when Russell got a bit animated getting in close a few times Tiger Roll actually jumped accurately. Only true mistake I saw was pecking slightly at the first ditch second time around.

value is everything
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17025

Thanks for the comments guys

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

How many is too many to back? Think I have around a dozen on-side haha!

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1250

I must confess I’ve felt a little guilty having backed 6!

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 277

I think you can bet as many as you like lads, it’s the biggest race of the year. I will stick with four for myself though.

My early shortlist was

Noble Endeavour
    Mall Dini
    Rathvinden
    Polidam

I wish I had bet Rathvinden then, but no point crying over it now. At least the other pair are roughly the same price.

I will bet the three of them once final declarations are made, and Polidam for The Topham, as I am as well waiting now.

Bobby BluebellBobby Bluebell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 210

Thank you VTC for that superb write up, I really enjoyed reading it.

My big hope is Ramses- goes on any ground, is hard fit from a copy book preparation, stays, travels well, jumps adequately, is in form and has improved with each run this season. It’s a bonus the stable are in form.

With normal luck I believe he will go real close…wouldn’t want to hit the front too soon though!

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26478

I backed 15 in the race once, JJM; at (if I remember right) a combined price of 11/10. :yes:
    Although I like to think of it as having the winner Neptune Collonges @ 50/1.
    Some were main bets, some half bets (to win half of what I usually do) and some saver bets.
    Neptune was the one I’d backed to win the most money and – if I’d only backed one horse – would’ve been the winner. So you could argue I gave a bit back. Although have backed the winner several times before and since as 7th or 10th choice etc.

I say, if you think any individual horse is a good price, back it! My advice is back them to win different amounts – the best value (not necessarily the biggest price) being to win most.

However, these days I don’t usually have as many bets until late. Are Bet365 doing their free each way bets again? I don’t get involved with those… But – because of that offer – getting massive value in the place only betfair market. People laying off parts of free bets for no risk profits.

value is everything
    Running ReinRunning Rein
    Participant
    • Total Posts 185

Looking at the Bet365 National specials I see they go 7/4 less than 15 finishers. I think that may be significantly overpriced.
    Since the new fences were introduced we might expect an average of around 17 finishers on good to soft ground.
    However, with the current sensitivity around persevering when winning chances have gone, I can see a lot more horses than usual pulled up on the second circuit.
    I would estimate around 12 finishers to be more likely on Saturday.

• Total Posts 17025

Thanks Bobby

• Total Posts 17025

Pairofbrowneyes the only one not declared.

I’ll be topping up on Jury Duty, and adding Valseur Lido each way.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 519 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.