The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2019 Grand National

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2019 Grand National

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 519 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17042

Good luck Viktors, it goes without saying that I hope he goes close for you lol.

TheKryptonFactorTheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1015

VTC, I notice that Fagan was sold in the Goffs Spring HIT sale back in May. Purchased for £26,000 by Alex Hales. I assume this means that he’s no longer with Gordon Elliott.

• Total Posts 17042

I didn’t know about the move to Hales, but I did know something was up when I seen him introduced to the Foxhunter market for Cheltenham a few weeks back. That’s never a good sign is it? It was certainly enough for me to lay my stake back here.

I’m happy with that news now, that thr lay at larger odds might just have been a sensible move.

He’ll be off my radar for now unless I hear otherwise. Thanks for the heads up Krypton.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9453

Has anyone noticed that oddschecker, Paddy Power and all the bookies have the Grand National date down as Saturday 13th April 2019, I was beginning to doubt myself when I put up Saturday 6th April as the end date of my Select 3 Horses Jumps Season compy but Aintree racecourse are selling tickets for 6th April so why can’t the bookies get it right? :unsure:

Can anyone throw any light on this as I queried it with Paddy Power and they insisted it’s on the 13th April 2019
    :wacko: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6671

If Aintree can’t get the date right for the biggest date in the jumping calendar, then there is not
    much hope for us. I think you can rest assured that the National will be on Saturday 6th April Jac :good:

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9453

Lol you’re right there Graham thanks for putting my mind at rest.
    It just niggles that bookies can’t get a simple date right and everyone else follows suit. Rant over. :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1378

Jac after I said to you it was the 13th and you corrected me, I looked it up on the official site and it says 6th.

I think last year, or year before, the was some discrepancy between the bookies and the official site. They had it roughly 12 months from the previous running, however it was a week later. Can’t think why unless Easter moved it. Last year (2018) Easter was April 1st and National was April 14th, the year before (2017) Easter was April 16th and National ran on April 8th. In 2019 Easter falls on April 21st and National (according to the official site) falls on 6th April. I think the bookmakers will fall in line closer to the date.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 161

Traffic Fluide for me, was very disappointed he couldn’t qualify himself this year.

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1252

No qualification issues this time! In fact he has very much inserted himself into the argument after his recent efforts.

• Total Posts 17042

Looks a totally reformed character Peter, and even though he’ll go up in the weights for that, I doubt it would be prohibitive.

There’s plenty to like. Not least that 50’s.

joliffjoliff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 351

Can TF stay the trip?

I’ve had my first ante post bet on Rathvinden, think this race would be perfect for him after winning the 4 miler at Cheltenham. Can get 40/1 currently.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6671

Joliff, I’ve been a fan of Traffic Fluide for a few years now, I had a stonking bet on him
    for the Champion Chase a couple of years back, I thought he could have been that good.
    Unfortunately he didn’t get there, he was out for a year. He’s had his problems, and Moore
    has said he’s fragile, but thankfully he seems to be coping with a decent amount of racing,
    and I like what I’m seeing. He now looks stronger at the business end of his races now, as
    in his last 2 at Chepstow and Ascot over 3m. He’s never gone more than 3m 1 1/2f, where he
    got detached last year at Haydock on heavy, but he was probably doing his best work at the
    tail end. I think he has a touch of class about him, and I think he’s shown enough to suggest
    he could cope with a marathon distance. I’m with Honeysdad, and I’ve chanced him at 50/1 with
    Paddy Power. I hope Moore can keep him fit and decides to give him a his place in the race,
    I think he has a real shout :good:

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Was very taken by Looksnowtlikebrian at Carlisle on Sunday. Looks a proper animal, and think he could well prove an Aintree horse. Hoperfully he gets a Becher entry.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1378

Having just bought Timeform Horses to Follow for the current season they are some interesting contenders for this year’s National.

They are:-
    No Comment
    Step Back
    Thomas Patrick
    Presenting Percy

Presenting Percy

is only quoted by Skybet at the moment and maybe more for Gold Cup than National.

Thomas Patrick

will be 7 if taking up his option of running, stat wise a little young as no 7 year old has won since 1940. Stamina could be one of his strengths, winning the Betway Handicap chase last season (in a field of 16) showed promise but my opinion is this is too early. B-)

No Comment

Seems to be a basic 2.5 miler, although was tried at 4 miles, age wise he’ll be alright at eight, but doubt whether this is his target. :unsure:

Step Back

Statistically is the best age at nine, the National is at the moment very much his long term target. Winning last season’s bet365 Handicap Gold Cup was most encouraging a very large field of 20 and distance of 3 miles 5 furlongs proves excellent pointers in his form to cracking the coming Grand National. The only downside at the moment is that victory put him up by a stone. Early this season he was 24 length 7th of 12 to The Young Master back in October, but he may have wanted this run. :good:

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1378

VTC says

“Terrefort was awesome the other day, but he’ll definitely be too young for it next year. He’s got some potential, and no surprise to see him line up in The Gold Cup, he certainly looked good enough.”

I saw Terrefort quoted by Skybet for Grand National at 33/1. Anyone unaware that a minimum age of 7 is required to enter the National, will be doing their money without a chance on this horse.

Shame on Skybet :negative:

By the way how do you quote others on this forum. Had to cut and paste your comments :unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 519 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.