The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2015 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2015 2015 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17609

Here we go again :D

This years front 2 are bound to be popular again, and I don’t see any reason why they won’t feature again, particularly the winner.

The Mullins/Ricci team look sure to have a contender in Champagne Fever, but I’ve just got a suspicion Djakadam could come to the fore as a contender as well, cue the Mullins guessing game……..I can’t wait :roll:

The Jonjo pair of Taquin De Seuil, and Holywell are already well touted on here, with Taquin looking the more realistic of the 2.

From the RSA, the front 2 of O’Faolains Boy, and Smad Place will be popular as well, but Don Cossack, who fell during that race, could also emerge as a contender.

Bobs Worth, and Silviniaco Conti will surely be back as well, and fingers crossed Cue Card, and Sir Des Champs can also get there in one piece.

The Ante-Post KingThe Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8712

The Ante-Post market for the Gold cup fluctuates considerably these first few days since the last one,10/1 the field is fair,those die-hard

Bobs worth

supporters will be tempted considering he was 5/1 a year ago at this time,he’ll have to do a ‘Kauto Star’ to redeem himself and I just cant see that happening.Sadly ‘Bob’ lacks any scope for further improvement and it doesn’t matter how you dress it up his Gold Cup performance was visually concerning.I still dont think we have got right to the bottom of

Silviniaco Conti

so his odds of 16/1 with Corals would be far more tempting but again ‘That Swerve’ suggests to me a horse suffering from something,I can forgive that for an 8yo with his form figures though I believe the ground was against him.His ride wasn’t Noels finest either,hints of ‘Boston Bob’/Paul Townend rushing him into the straight. Corals go 8/1

Cue Card

thats half the price of ‘Silvianico Conti’ a horse who completely out-stayed him in the King george,that price is a joke for an injured horse returning.

Sir des champs

is still only an 8yo and at 14/1 again is a fair price for a horse guaranteed to be trained for this,again the concern is coming back from injury but Scope wise,this fellow still has some and if the race was run tomorrow he’s the one who could upset the applecart from this years race.Cheltenham suits this horse.

Annie Power

,the new ‘Dawn Run’?? at 16/1.She’d need to be!

O’Faolains boy

16/1 is the ‘Dark horse’ of the race and shouldn’t be underestimated just like last years winner of the RSA! :wink:

Champagne Fever

is too big at Bet365 stand out 20/1,he’s as short as 10/1 with Corals.If there’s a better jumper of a fence in this I’ve not seen it,this fellow hurdles his fences and imo is crying out for this sort of trip,I’d put him in my 3 for the race now.

On his Own

20/1 ran his heart out this year and proves that staying is the name of the game in this unique test. His price will double on the machine before Xmas,just by the very nature of his profile.The 3 Greys

Simonsig

,20/1,

Smad Place

, 25/1 and

Dynaste

20/1, wont be winning imo as non of them look like they have any more improvement in them,’Simonsig’ has the most but again injury plagues the stats.

Taquin de Seuil

25/1,now there’s a class horse,not bred to be a Gold cup horse but who really cares about the breeding of 3m chasers?This fellow is a Rolls Royce of a horse and has masses of improvement but until I see him win over 3m my powder will be dry.Dont write off

Shutthefrontdoor

100/1 just yet,there isn’t a bigger baby in the yard.I also think

Holywell

at 50/1 with Bet365 is again over-priced,he’s a proper staying sort with a will to win and is progressing the right way,he has filled out more than anything in Jonjo’s yard this past year and has plenty more to give,he is a big price.

Ballycasey

50/1 has fluffed his lines for Mullins as has

Boston bob

33/1 and as for

Djakadam

50/1? No chance! Neither

Morning assembly

50/1 nor

Dom Cossack

50/1 will be Cheltenham bound either.

The Giant Bolster

25/1 has had his chance and thats that but at least he gives this years race a bit more credibility than most are suggesting by running gallantly again.As for this years winner

Lord Windermere

8/1 is a joke,his profile will see that price treble throughout the year but if he turns up in the form he produced this year he’s the one to beat again,those who moan about him being a poor winner of this years race are a pretty clueless bunch,the sort who moaned about

Cool Dawn

and

Cool Ground

winning National hunts most prestigious prize,a prize that is only achieved by the few who can meet the unique test that is the Gold cup.Davy Russell rode the coolest ride ever in this years renewal because he knew he was on the best horse in the race,sadly not many others knew that though.
    Lets not forget

First Lieutenant

either,drifting already on the machine to 22’s,thats normal for this under-rated natural jumper of a fence…….Lets see how things pan out this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8712

The most significant mover in next years Gold cup is

Champagne Fever

,Bet365 were a standout 20/1 yesterday but have taken significant money today and have slashed his price into 14/1. :shock: Moves like that have to be noted and is generally stable money so in 11 months time when Willie Mullins is umming and aahing about where his Grey goes the stable already knows and have snaffled all the big prices when Joe Public has long forgotten this little event even occured,TAPK doesn’t forget though! :wink:

Jenno
    • Total Posts 37

I was one of many who came away from this years festival believing Champagne Fever was the winner of the 2015 Gold Cup.

I was hoping that VC Bet would go NRFB as they did last year but sadly it didn’t happen so I risked £25 win at 20s.I did go back in to have another bet but as you pointed out, the 20s didn’t last that long!!!!

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1252

Sprinter Sacre anyone? :lol:

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

I was thinking this the other day, Would running the GC distance at a slower pace be more or less strain on his heart than the QM distance?

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

O’Faolains Boy and Champagne Fever would be the two for me at the prices.

Ghost of Rob VGhost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 736

One who I’d love to see take his chance in the 2015 Gold Cup is

Module

. Rarely runs a bad race, is rather versatile on ground and leaves the impression (with me at least) that he could be effective over 3 miles. His eye-catching run behind Sire De Grugy (Queen Mother Champion Chase) has reinforced my belief.

OK, the chances are that he’ll never contest in it but if he was entered, I’d certainly go ante-post.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8712

I doubt

sprinter Sacre

will even set foot on a racecourse again never mind win a Gold cup!

BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Bobs Worth must emulate the mighty Kauto Star to regain the Cheltenham Gold Cup. He is a wonderful little horse, but the type who will always be vulnerable to an improver at this stage of his career.

Silviniaco Conti must surely fall into that category around Cheltenham. He appeared to be running on fumes after the last, but perhaps has a squeak at place money if ridden with slightly more restraint.

Lord Windermere has been a credit to connections with victories in the RSA and, of course, the Cheltenham Gold Cup, but we have seen in recent years how tough it is to win consecutive renewals and he was a mere average winner.

The talented pair of Cue Card and Dynaste must prove their ability at the distance – particularly around Prestbury Park, while Sir Des Champs must arguably return a better horse than the one who chased home Bobs Worth in 2013.

Champagne Fever has been crying out for a trip under rules and his slick jumping will stand him in good stead against more experienced rivals next season. It will be fascinating to see what route connections take and he looks a major contender.

It is folly to overlook the winner of an RSA Chase, regardless of the quality. Lord Windermere, anyone? This year, we witnessed three dour stayers filling the frame – O’Faolains Boy, Smad Place and Morning Assembly.

O’Faolains Boy – a respectable fourth in the Albert Bartlett as a novice hurdler and winner of the Reynoldstown this season. Smad Place – placed in two World Hurdles, and Morning Assembly – Grade 1 winning novice hurdler (Ballycasey held in third).

This trio may prove better than expected and are more than capable of competing against seasoned performers during the next campaign. O’Faolains Boy and Morning Assembly are open to greater improvement, but with the combination of another year on his back and the extra distance, I take Morning Assembly to emerge the most likely winner.

Connections are adamant that stamina is his forte and very much a horse for next year. He arguably travelled better than anything in the race, staying on and maintaining his effort right to the finish. The Hennessy Gold Cup would be an ideal race and one where he could compete on, what turns out to be, a very attractive mark.

Morning Assembly is the type of horse who could surprise a few next season and, hailing from a relatively unfashionable yard, he is arguably over priced. Champagne Fever has been a model of consistency and he will continue to be well handled. Bookmakers will take no chances and one impressive success will prompt an over reaction, whereas O’Faolains Boy is far from flashy and it will take a meteoric display for his price to tumble.

CHAMPAGNE FEVER @14/1 (BET365)
    MORNING ASSEMBLY @50/1(BET365)

thehorsesmouththehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5488

I’d imagine there are a lot of happy campers on here after that performance from Holywell!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8712

Holywell

at 50/1 with Bet365 is again over-priced,he’s a proper staying sort with a will to win and is progressing the right way,he has filled out more than anything in Jonjo’s yard this past year and has plenty more to give,he is a big price.

Ladbrokes go 8/1 about this fellow for next years Gold cup.Why would anyone take that when you will get that price at Xmas! :shock: Some of us have silly prices about

Holywell

none more so than

Bozlike

who got the 100/1.I’m happy with my 50/1 and 33/1 Tommy. 8)

Jamsym
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

Credit where it’s due TAPK for highlighting Hollywell. After that performance today it looks like he is a big contender for next years gold cup.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Aye, well done Holywellers…it will make for a nice warm winter!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

IBRacingIBRacing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

You can study form all you like a huge outsider will probably win it again.

I was looking at oddschecker a couple of days ago and I see it is 12/1 the field for this race. That is absolutely unbelievable.

Stick a pin in, trust your luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.