The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Don’t know much about Darkness other than that his jumping was awful first time round but on his return from injury it looked a lot better; he was a class horse so I don’t know what sort of weight he would carry or how old he is now, but he could be a bit of a dark horse [no pun intended, especially as he isn’t a dark horse but was given the wrong name and the dark horse was given the name intended for him; sorry, I’m rambling..]

• Total Posts 4293

We’ve got a bit of a problem with this horse, as we don’t want to piss off Fists of Fury and put him on the Gold Cup thread, and Kendal Cavalier will mock us out of town on this thread as his damsire is Strong Gale.

DARKNESS
    9yo by Accordion, out of a Strong Gale mare
    Owned by Lady Lloyd-Webber, trained by Charlie Egerton
    Won the Feltham when it was held at Sandown
    17 lengths 3rd to Star De Mohaison in Royal & SunAlliance, jumped poorly, was last as they came down the hill, and was 21 lengths down 2 out.
    15 March 2006 "If he’d have jumped he’d have won, its as simple as that. And if it was a Gold Cup over an extra 2 furlongs, he’d still have won, even though he jumped so poorly." Paddy Brennan, jockey
    PU in 2006 Scottish GN
    Missed 2006-07, and 2007-08 seasons
    In comeback race, beaten 8 lengths by Possil & Mon Mome after making a mistake at the last, and running on one pace.
    Wasted half an hour looking for the Egerton quote when he said he only had one bullet with the horse. Google is crap.
    Is entered in the Welsh National.
    OR rating was lowered 10lbs to 142 during absence, and then raised 1lb after the Possil race.
    Bullet is the Gold Cup?

• Total Posts 4293

Oh sorry – forgot the most important bit: he is a chestnut

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

If he’s got Strong Gale in him then KC is right; I wish I could remember the name of the horse that should have been called Darkness therefore knowing the name that Darkness should be called..if he’s got his jumping together [and it looks as if he has] then I’m going to back him ante post for everything this year [but not the GN].

• Total Posts 4293

What about Air Force One?…is the National on his agenda.
    Seems the right type of chaser (maybe not on trends/stats) but a strong travelling, safe jumping staying sort with a touch of class.

Mann was quoted 16 March 2007 that the horse will be a Gold Cup horse in 2 years time (ie, 2009). Can’t do both?

When I wrote "Can’t do both?" I was being unduly influenced by the remembrance of Cool Ground.

There are 22 days between the Gold Cup & GN this season.

There have been a few horses that have won or been placed in the GN that have run in the Gold Cup or at the Festival. The following isn’t an exhaustive (ie accurate) list, and I can’t be bothered at the moment to check how many days there were inbetween the two each year:

Silver Birch ran in the Cross-Country race at the Festival, but there were 32 days inbetween.
    Royal Quest ran in the Gold Cup, can’t be bothered at the moment to check which race Miinnehoma ran in.

I suppose that it could be argued that for the placed horses, running at the Festival compromised their GN winning capability
    Royal Auclair & Simply Gifted, 2nd & 3rd 2005
    Blowing Wind 3rd 2002
    Suny Bay 2nd 1998 ran in Gold Cup
    Encore Un Peu 2nd 1996 to Rough Quest, ran in Kim Muir

Ebony Jane, 4th in 1994 was 3rd in the Irish Grand National 5 days earlier!!!

One thing we have to keep reminding ourselves is that Air Force One is a German horse, and might be capable or incapable of things that British, Irish or French steeplechasers can’t or can do.

I also read on Nick Mordin’s website that because of a fall earlier in his career, the horse concentrates on getting his front end over and on not falling, and doesn’t mind dragging his feet through the fence. How will this affect him at 29 spruce fences (assuming he doesn’t do it at the Water)? I’m not an expert on trees. Birch fences presumably cause scratches. Is spruce prickly?

• Total Posts 4293

Stupid, obvious question that I’ve only just got around to asking myself. Will Air Force One like the Aintree fences, or say sod this for for a game of soldiers?
    Was previously thinking, without thinking, his exuberant jumping meant he liked jumping. What if it is a sign that he doesn’t?
    This is probably drivel – I’m going to bed.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I love racing because generally it is all about opinions.

Personally I believe Air Force One would travel sweetly for a long way at Aintree but I can’t quite see him getting home.

I may be wrong but the last German bred winner over four miles was Sudden Shock in the 2003 NH Chase. Both Sudden Shock and AFO have the influence of the decent French horse/stallion Tanerko in them but that is about the best I can muster. It’s a very loose connection.

• Total Posts 4293

Considering how few German-bred chasers there are in the country, and how few 4m+ races, I don’t mind that statistic.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

must put on ante post bet for Old Benny after seeing Niche Market’s success today…….

• Total Posts 4293

I love racing because generally it is all about opinions.

Opinions? I can’t even agree with myself. :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

I was wanting to do a little research into the relationship between the age of the winner and the Going. Unfortunately, the results on the RP website don’t have Topspeed’s Going Correction, so I’ve merely used the times of the race instead. Can’t be bothered to adjust the times of the race to account for the varying quality of the field.

Here it is, for its worth.

10yo 9m00.80 1996 Good Rough Quest
    12yo 9m04.10 1995 Good Royal Athlete
    9yo 9m05.90 1997 Good Lord Gyllene
    8yo 9m08.60 2002 Good Bindaree
    9yo 9m09.70 2000 Good Papillon
    10yo 9m13.60 2007 Good Silver Birch
    9yo 9m14.10 1999 Good Bobbyjo
    9yo 9m16.60 2008 Good Comply Or Die
    12yo 9m20.30 2004 Good Amberleigh House
    9yo 9m20.80 2005 Gd to Sft Hedgehunter
    10yo 9m21.70 2003 Good Monty’s Pass
    10yo 9m41.00 2006 Gd to Sft Numbersixvalverde
    11yo 10m18.80 1994 Heavy Miinnehoma
    10yo 10m51.50 1998 Soft Earth Summit
    11yo 11m00.10 2001 Heavy Red Marauder

A bit ambiguous, but I think I’d like to concentrate on 9yos if it is Good, and 10 & 11yos if it is softer.

A word of warning, KC and Moehat, I am concentrating on finding the winner, but I think you are just as keen on finding the placed horses. I think in most years the ages of the horses in the first four places are varied.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Spot on Gerald; finding placed horses is as important as finding the winner. It’s probably easier to find the winner if the going is quite extreme [eg Mr Frisk..Earth Summit] and more difficult if the going is genuinely good ground [Red Marauder being an exception to all the rules; a non staying, bad jumper winning in extremely testing conditions].It’s been a lot more difficult in recent years because at one time most of the horses seemed to be running from out of the handicap…I became really fascinated by it when I went to a racing club meeting and said that I fancied Seagram that year to which they all replied ‘of course you do because he’s going to win it’….if I had time I’d like to study all races in the same sort of detail but as it is I only manage the National! Having the extra info on the breeding side of it makes it even more fascinating!

• Total Posts 4293

I was working on this last weekend, and I don’t think I’ve finished investigating some of the points raised, but I thought I had better post this before I either lost part of it, or spilt tea on it.

I was investigating two separate things at the same time, and as the Racing Forum doesn’t seem to accept tabs, I’ve split it up into two parts – breeding, and Cheltenham or Aintree experience, so as to make it easier to read.

Okay, some of us either can’t devote as much time as KC, or have as much knowledge of breeding, so I thought I’d try looking at the Flat Stamina Indices that the Racing Post use, and see if they are any good as a ready reckoner.

The first figure is for the Sire.
    The second figure is for the damsire.
    A — indicates there ain’t one, which suggests the horse doesn’t have many flat winners and is almost exclusively a NH stallion.

13.0 * 12.8 Comply Or Die
    — * — King Johns Castle
    11.4 * 10.9 Snowy Morning
    — * — Slim Pickings

— * — Silver Birch
    9.2 * 16.4 Mckelvey
    — * — Slim Pickings
    10.9 * 13.4 Philson Run

10.1 * 16.4 Numbersixvalverde
    11.5 * 14.1 Hedgehunter
    — * — Clan Royal
    10.9 * 12.0 Nil Desperandum

11.5 * 14.1 Hedgehunter
    11.2 * — Royal Auclair
    11.2 * 14.8 Simply Gifted
    11.5 * 14.0 It Takes Time

12.5 * 16.0 Amberleigh House
    — * — Clan Royal
    12.0 * 11.9 Lord Atterbury
    11.5 * 13.0 Monty’s Pass

11.5 * 13.0 Monty’s Pass
    12.4 * 15.0 Supreme Glory
    12.5 * 16.0 Amberleigh House
    11.3 * — Gunner Wellburn

16.0 * 9.7 Bindaree
    12.4 * 10.2 What’s Up Boys
    10.2 * 11.3 Blowing Wind
    16.0 * 12.4 Kingsmark

11.3 * — Red Marauder
    9.8 * — Smarty
    10.2 * 11.3 Blowing Wind
    11.4 * — Papillon

11.4 * — Papillon
    12.0 * 9.0 Mely Moss
    12.7 * 12.8 Niki Dee
    15.0 * — Brave Highlander

— * — Bobbyjo
    — * — Blue Charm
    — * 16.4 Call it A Day
    — * — Addington Boy

9.7 * — Earth Summit
    16.0 * — Suny Bay
    14.1 * 16.0 Samlee
    12.3 * — St Mellion Fairway

— * — Lord Gyllene
    16.0 * — Suny Bay
    14.0 * — Camelot Knight
    12.5 * — Buckboard Bounce

18.0 * 14.8 Rough Quest
    9.7 * 12.1 Enclore Un Peu
    12.7 * 6.7 Superior Finish
    10.7 * — Sir Peter Lely

16.0 * — Royal Athlete
    — * 16.0 Party Politics
    12.7 * — Over The Deel
    10.8 * — Dubacilla

12.0 * — Miinnehoma
    16.0 * — Just So
    16.0 * 14.0 Moorcroft Boy
    16.0 * — Ebony Jane

If we rather arbitrarily, but I think rather reasonably allocate a stamina index of 15.0 to those Sires and Damsires without one, then the lowest combined total for a winner is 24.5f for Monty’s Pass. Now I suppose the vast majority of horses in the GN have a figure of this, or higher, and I was going to use last season’s field as a test, but I haven’t got around to it yet.

Of the placed horses, these are the ones who didn’t attain the 24.5 figure:-
    Snowy Morning
    Philson Run
    Nil Desperandum
    Lord Atterbury
    What’s Up Boys
    Blowing Wind
    Mely Moss
    Encore Un Peu
    Superior Finish

Quite a lot. I started to investigate Snowy Morning, but didn’t write down the details, so I don’t know whether I am referring to the Sire or the Damsire. First of all, not all the information is available, as the RP website generally only goes back 20 years or so. Some of these Stamina Indices are made up of small samples of winners. In this case, it included a dual 6f winner with RPRs of 42 on each occasion, including at Laytown, if you please. I need to go back to calculate how much she may have brought the stamina index down by.

TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

I backed Black Apalachi in last years national and it was down at the 2nd. He has gone on to win the Becher Chase at Aintree .
    I always think that the winner will be irished trained, so whatever irish trained horses run, im sure to back onr of them.
    The ex local trained ‘ Simon ‘ has ran well in both in the last 2 years. If he gets his jumping improved, he could well be in with a chance.

Horses are probabley going to get injured before then, so I will decide the day before.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’d imagine that Simon’s handicap rating will have gone down a bit which could make him interesting; what do you mean by ex local? has he changed stable or something? however a horse that surely has to be backed ante post because of the vast numbers of people called Simon who back him on the day!

TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

John Spearing used to be placed about 2 miles away from me. He has moved, but i cant remember where. That is the problem, backing it because of the name, so it shortens haha.

Moe, you know what price you can get Simon at?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

33’s at the moment but no price with Ladbrokes; wonder if there’s a doubt about him running?

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.