The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 562 through 578 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2283

5 day forfeit stage – pulled out horses –

Afistfullofdollars, who would have been burdened with 11st 9lb, was one of the nine horses taken out of the Grand National on Monday. The others, in handicap order, were Roll Along, Hobbs Hill, Always Waining, Hot Weld, Conna Castle, Tumbling Dice, Ice Tea and King Harald

disraelite
    • Total Posts 26

I like a few at bigger prices.

I think Snowy Morning is well over-priced at the 33s available. Aimed for this race since finishing a good third 12 months ago and hasn’t had his preferred good ground since.

Looks a similar enough profile to WP Mullins’ Hedgehunter which ran well in a National as an 8yo before coming back at 9.

Up 11 lbs since last year but on his subsequent run behind Neptune Collonges at Punchestown, that looks fair, even a bit lenient.

The other one at a bigger price I like is Battlecry. Definitely been disappointing this season but I think he’s a spring good ground horse, had fair form in good novice company last year and as a Hemmings horse has probably had this race in mind all year.

I’ve liked My Will for this since his Hennessy run and War of Attrition is well in at the weights but both are too short for me now.

dis.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I have a dreadful record in this race but for what it’s worth a small stakes each-way on Brooklyn Brownie doesn’t look the worst suggestion. Hopefully the rain will stay away and they will not go mad with the watering.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If l’Ami wins this I’ll pack the game in- horses that flop in a National don’t come back to win it. My guess is it’s some ill-informed tipping line inspired plunge, combined with people thinking JP is on and following the money. Would like a bit of 4/6 that AP will ride Butler’s Cabin who has a much better chance.

The majority of GN winners have won at their first attempt but Highland Wedding,Rag Trade,Little Polveir and Hedgehunter to name but four all won after "flopping" in previous years so you can never be certain.
    Hedgehunter in particular looked as though four and a half miles was beyond him when he fell at the last in 04

I don’t see how you could call Hedgehunter’s prevoius run a flop- he was out in front jumping boldly the whole way but may have had too much use made of him and faded- he was favourite the following year!
    Little Polveir ran a very similar race as an 8yo not getting home 3 years before his win- he was still in contention 3 out. I don’t remember Highland Wedding or Rag Trade, you’re going back a bit there! I’d still be against a horse like l’Ami who in 2 visits was never sighted and took a terrible fall (ending Mick Fitz’s career)

• Total Posts 113

I think Rambling Minster will win,also having Butlers Cabin and Comply Or Die.

Of the bigger prices i like the look of Chelsea Harbour,Parsons Legacy and Knowhere.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

War of Attrition’s out now.

magpiemick
    • Total Posts 1

RAMBLING MINSTER at 11s and
    kilbeggen blade at 25 ew.
    look good bets to me.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

War Of ttrition out…gutted :(

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

May double up my bet on Brooklyn Brownie and have a small ew on Parsons Legacy; had this idea of Rambling Minster winning with Parsons Legacy coming second, someone more atriculate than me could come up with a really clever headline for that..where’s gc?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2283

war of attrition ruled out

Participant
    • Total Posts 2283

WOA ruled out

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

WOA ruled out

Absolutely gutted.

Didnt have a bet on the old boy but really wanted to see him run in this

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

And as soon as WoA pulls out, then in comes the money for Hear The Echo on Betfair. Was 27’s 1.5 hours ago and 17.5 two minutes ago.

Now that makes me wonder two things,

Was WoA ever going to run; and

If Hear The Echo was being primed more for Fairyhouse then surely he will be short of some work for this race, unless of course…………..

Either way HTE is not going to win the National so I don’t know why I am so bothered.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

Could anyone tell me What the chances of Nine De Sivola are of running, please? Thanks
    Crizzy

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Could anyone tell me What the chances of Nine De Sivola are of running, please? Thanks
    Crizzy

Not going to happen mate

18 have to drop out for him to get in

• Total Posts 2184

And as soon as WoA pulls out, then in comes the money for Hear The Echo on Betfair. Was 27’s 1.5 hours ago and 17.5 two minutes ago.

Now that makes me wonder two things,

Was WoA ever going to run; and

If Hear The Echo was being primed more for Fairyhouse then surely he will be short of some work for this race, unless of course…………..

Either way HTE is not going to win the National so I don’t know why I am so bothered.

War Of Attrition was definitely an intended runner. Mouse was very keen on letting him take his chance here and was trying to convince O’Leary to skip Cheltenham in order to keep him fresh for this, before he had his slight setback that forced their hand. Davy schooled him over a few Aintree style fences last week and said that he took to them like a duck to water.

Gutted he won’t be running. Hopefully we’ll see him back in action in the Guinness Gold Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2283

zabenz is the last horse safe from elimination

Viewing 17 posts - 562 through 578 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.