The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why Frankel will rule the world

Home Forums Horse Racing Why Frankel will rule the world

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 2,111 total)
  • Author
    CRW
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20

Andre Fabre sends another one out in the next hour. Overview, a filly out of Take The Hint. Another one for Prince Khalid. 13:15 Maisons-Laffitte

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Two nice ones running tomorrow. Alfawaris ran very promisingly behind his brother Swiss Storm last time and Cracksman is supposed to be useful…

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

Another first time out winner for Frankel today, with Cracksman beating a decent looking field at Newmarket.
    Video at: http://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/video/20161019/2637393/15748420

lionroars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

must admit i did like cracksman today. he really reminded me of his dad. really grabbing the ground. impressive when you think how the 3rd horse ran 1st time out

Participant
    • Total Posts 16534

Thanks M/Value I couldn’t get to Newmarket today and thought Cracksman battled on well to get the upper hand on Wild Tempest both worth following. Wild Tempest looks like he will really appreciate good/firm ground next season his performance was very eyecatching.
    From the video Cracksman’s action reminded me a little of that of the mare Attraction, he should go on any ground and a brilliant ride by Robert Havlin..Jac :good: .

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

Three new Frankels tomorrow.

UAE King, a half-brother to Dubawi out of Zomaradah, winner of the Italian Oaks. Trained by Roger Varian. In the 1:20 at Newbury

Commander, a colt out of Model Queen. A 670,000 guineas yearling. Trained by Roger Varian. In the 2:25 at Newbury

Mirage Dancer, a colt out of Heat Haze, a one million dollar winner in the USA, and a three-quarter sister to Dansili, Champs Elysees, Cacique, Intercontinental and Bank’s Hill. Trained by Sir Michael Stoute. In the 3:10 at Doncaster.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Another nice first time out winner for the mighty sire as Mirage Dancer showed a smart turn of foot to get up close home having looked well beat at halfway. Beautifully bred and looked like he had a lot of filling out to do over the winter. He’ll also appreciate further. The other two ran ok without looking anything special.

I make that 14 out of 37 that have won first time out!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

With nothing now running in the Racing Post and with no G1 winner in England to change the picture, I thought I’d post my end of season thoughts, after all the jumpers are calling!

Yes it’s early days, and far too early to judge, but looking at Crop 1 I think we’ve already learned a fair bit about Frankel as a stallion.

1: I make it 35 to have seen a racecourse somewhere in the world so far, although I may have missed a few. Of these, 24 are colts and 11 fillies, which is a big difference. Numerically that’s roughly 30%, give or take, of the first crop, which I would say is slightly on the low side. So, ‘Where are they all?’ is still a valid point – although we know one answer to that, which is that no (English-based) trainer wanted to be the one to really burst the bubble of hype/expectation.

2: In terms of ORs (where we have them):
    5 are rated > 100, and of those 3 are fillies (Queen Kindly, 113; Fair Eva, 110; Frankuus & Seven Heavens, 106 and Toulifaut, 104). Then there’s a bunch that are in the 80-high 90s range, most of whom are the promising maiden winners and/or more exposed early colts (Cunco, 97; Majoris, 95; Last Kingdom, Senator & Cracksman, 91; Swiss Storm & Atty Persse, 86; Monarch’s Glen & Zefferino, 85; Eminent, 84; Lightening Fast, 83; Aljezeera & Icespire, 83). Below that there is a group of lower rated colts in the 60-70 bracket (Franked, Weekender, Count Octave, San Remo, Alfawaaris), and below that again a group of colts and fillies in the < 60 bracket (Khattar, Rainbow Legacy, Top Deck, Moon Mountain, Overview, Aspira, Ambrosia, Harba).

So, there’s the usual level of mediocrity, a reasonably strong middle numerically and a top that doesn’t seem very stretched, at least at the moment. That could easily change if some of the more unexposed middle start to improve.

3: Progression seems to be an issue for several. At the top level, Queen Kindly and Fair Eva disappointed in the Cheveley Park; Toulifaut did the same in the Boussac, as did Seven Heavens in the Dewhurst. Then there are those who looked promising in their initial (couple of) run/s, but then haven’t progressed e.g. Senator, Zefferino. And then there is quite a big group who, after one reasonably early run, have been put away – could be growing, could be sore shins, could be the virus, or could be something else altogether.

4: Temperament is a big issue, especially with the more forward and more speedily bred ones, and it’s more of an issue with the colts – or at least those that have seen the racecourse. It may also be an issue with the fillies, given the contrast in the numbers of fillies and colts appearing. That said, if the yard can ‘channel it’ – as with Frankel – some calm down a bit over time. The best examples of this so far are Cunco and Frankuus, who both displayed a lot of ‘boyo’ tendencies initially but who now, after several races, are knuckling down to it on the racecourse, and improving steadily.

5: They come in all shapes and sizes, and colours – and (unlike several sires) there is no correspondence so far between colour and ability. The top performers in Crop 1 are: chestnut x 2, grey, brown and bay.

6: Those we have seen are all ‘gallopers’ rather than horses with a devastating kick/ change of pace. This is like dad in some ways, in that it was his immense engine, stride length and ground coverage, and capacity to sustain that for longer than others, rather than change of gear, that made him so exceptional as a racehorse. But, the sons and daughters are also not quite the same, in that the engine isn’t his. Instead, many of them – particularly those that have appeared recently – remind me much more of Frankel’s full brother, Noble Mission.

So far, I’d give him a B+. He’s done really well, much better than I expected, on numbers of winners but low numbers, the disappointments at G1, and the anticipated temperament issues are definite negatives for me.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Brilliant post Titus and I would agree with most of it. When I have a bit more time next week I’ll post my own thoughts but you are definitely right about the disappointments in Group 1’s. I was with one of Richard Fahey’s jockeys this week and she told me that Queen Kindly was actually ready to go back in January so she may have gone over the top in the Cheveley Park. They still expect big things from her. I think we were all guilty of over-hyping Fair Eva. Seven Heavens couldn’t handle the massive step up from novice to Group 1 and needs to learn to settle. Toulifaut in fairness was completely taken out in her race and I think you can draw a line through it.

Listening to the trainers, many of them are saying “he/she is definitely one for next year” and I am sure you are going to see many of these promising maiden winners step up massively when they fill out a bit next season.

By the way, over in Japan last night, Soul Stirring won The Ivy Stakes to make it 2 out of 2. I can’t get the video yet but i’m sure it will be available soon.

lionroars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

that was a great peice titus. i have to agree with it all. its going to be the temperament that will let most of them down. which is a great shame. hopefully they will settle down. would like to know which frankel colt or filly that has impressed you the most

for me i liked yesterdays winner MIRAGE DANCER. and ATTY PERSSE that godolphin have now aquired shortly after his win and now hopefully train on for next year. i had a few quid on FAIR EVA after she won at haydock for the guiness. but they now in the bin. especially after charlton said she spot on last twice. cant understand why ran so badly

then pat smullen has said she to weak at present so who do you beleive

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Here is Soul Stirring winning last night – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnIEhZhhqwY

Participant
    • Total Posts 1314

UAE King was bitterly disappointing yesterday. Folded tamely away. I expected a lot more than that wimpy effort 🙁

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

and (unlike several sires) there is no correspondence so far between colour and ability.

An unlikely idea. What sires are those?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

Any further news on Mi Suerte? Arguably the most impressive début of any Frankel offspring so far.

lionroars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

must admit that was very imptrssive intro by mi suerte

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

@ Venusian – unlikely, I know, but the last time I took such an interest in one particular stallion’s first crop was long ago with Mill Reef, and it is those memories that triggered the comment. There was one chestnut colt in that first crop that was group class – Main Reef. Later on, I can only remember one that was group class and chestnut, and that was Milford (ex Highclere) – and he definitely had temperament issues. All Mill Reef’s best sons were bay. I went and looked at Darshaan’s record as well – only 1 x chestnut in the top 150. Then again – Northern Dancer. His best sons were surely the bays: Nijinsky, El Gran Senor, Nureyev and Lyphard v The Minstrel, Be My Guest, Viceregal? Other stallions are clearly different – Galileo being the obvious case, where the top (at least on official ratings) is a mix of bays and chestnuts.

A background thought in all this is – where have all those really top quality chestnut colts gone, and when was the last time that we saw a really stand out grey colt on the flat?

Back to Frankel – the ‘they’re all sorts’ thought (i.e. he’s not stamping them) was the first thing that struck me about his progeny, and colour was in that just as much as size and shape.

As to which do I like best? I find it quite difficult actually to single them out and decide on a pecking order. But this is what it looks like at the moment:

Visually, the best performance looked to be Mi Suerte to me. I was also quite taken with Soul Stirring against the colts – see Joni’s link. Perhaps the best of Frankel’s first crop may be in Japan?

As to the ones who are racing in Britain & Ireland, my votes for the first year ‘Frankelet’s’ would be:

Best colt: Seven Heavens – but oh dear, unless he settles he’ll never realise his potential

Best filly: Queen Kindly (I wouldn’t rule her out as a 1000 filly, and she does not have temperament issues)

Most promising newcomer/s: currently impossible! I liked Cracksman’s attitude, Monarch’s Glen & Atty Persse, plus I was impressed with Aljezeera when I watched the replay. Icespice has ability – but she wears a hood already!

The one that has grown on me is Frankuus – this one has done nothing but knuckle down and improve. A typical Kingsley House inhabitant, I can see him turning in good performances next year.

I also like the beast that is with Elsey! But then, I’m increasingly of the view that Frankel needs to be sent faster mares. This is one that is an example of that.

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 2,111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.