The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Zuhair

Home Forums Horse Racing Zuhair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 53

Prehaps it’s just my age but noticed a horse called Zuhair won a maiden at Nottingham and it took me back to the old Dandy Nicholls sprinter. i know this happens these days but is it right that the same name is being used in a relatively short space of time? Think they are both homebreds so there’s not even a suffix after their name.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1094

Do NOT get me started!

It’s all the time!

Gorytus, Low Profile – so many!

Ban it or resurrect a mandatory “II, III etc” suffix!

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3191

The oddity here is that both horses were named by the same owner. The old Zuhair began life with Major Dick Hern in the colours of Hamdan Al Maktoum. Who also owned the current Zuhair when it made its debut last year.

Twenty five years between the foaling dates and the old Zuhair won’t be appearing in any pedigrees, so not much risk of confusion. It’s just those of us who were regulars at Goodwood around the turn of the century that will recall Zuhair the First, King of the Sprint Handicaps.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

I have started to notice a few names of horses I can remember cropping up again.

I think it can be filed under “Getting Old”. ;-)

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Another vote for it being annoying. I cannot see entries currently for Johnstones stayer ‘The Trader’ without subconsciously assuming the race is a sprint handicap. I was absolutely obsessed with sprinting when The Trader and my namesake The Tatling were banging heads seemingly every week. Fond memories.

Tangent – I remember having a big bet on Tatters 4/5/07. 5f on rattling ground (remember when that was allowed?) at Mussleborough. Both the commentator, and the RP analysis, had him winning “Cheekily” under Darryl Holland, from River Falcon. Hence the username.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 152

Totally agree on this. There is a list of “protected names” that can’t be used permanently, but it is woefully short. The argument that names need to be recycled or they will run out doesn’t make sense either seeing as the possibilities are practically infinite.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1094

1. IMO there is an infinite number of permutations of letters that can give every horse from Frankel to the slowest selling plater a unique name which is protected and thus immortalised.

2. If I am wrong and/or that will not work worldwide logistically, after the original every repeat use should carry the suffix “II,” “III” etc.

I am sure I saw a Bunker Hill III run in a point-to-point once and I am fine with that.

But this direct copying has to end!

I am confident if the next owner who does it is publicly executed it will put a swift end to this heinous practice.

Sound like a plan?

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

If I bought a foal by a 30 rated colt, out of a 30 rated mare, would I be within my rights to call my horse ‘Frankel’? Seems stupid.

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

No TTC, why not use numbers 1 – 100 then 101, and so on infinity. sorted no more king Frankel, etc.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

I believe Classic winners names are protected, so Frankel as a Guineas winner cannot be used again.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24484

He won very nicely..
    Some size on him too

Member since March 2008
    The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Didn’t know that CAS, but I approve.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24484

Just Gabriel Frankel
    and Sizing Frankel and My Frankel
    Reckon Frankel will have more named after him than anything else

Member since March 2008
    The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Seems like he has no end already.

Can’t wait for Droopys Frankel, Minella Frankel, and Monbeg Frankel.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

Just wish King Frankel could have won the first at Epsom last Saturday. That defeat still hurts a bit. :cry:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.