The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Zuhair

Home Forums Horse Racing Zuhair

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 152

Returning to an earlier point, Frankel didn’t obtain automatic protection of his name when he became a Classic winner. It seems absurd, but not even winners of races such as the 2000 Guineas or Grand National get automatic name protection these days. If anyone is interested in which races do obtain automatic qualification, the list is here https://www.ifhaonline.org/resources/NP_2020.pdf. Frankel is on it after he was nominated by the BHA in 2012.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1327

Was waiting for you to nominate ‘Fox Torture Frankel’ Tank.

I don’t know that one; will this do?

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Would prefer to see you chased in a “noble” fashion by Basil Brush and his firm Tank tbf.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1327

They will be culled anyway, just a matter of deciding what is the best way of doing the culling.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

Alexander Frankel – Noel O’Callaghan

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5307

In the case of fillies/mares it’s been my undestanding that those who win ‘black type’ races; that is, they are eligible to have their names printed in bold type in stud books, have their names protected

And ‘black type’ races are more or less the equivalent of Pattern Races

Have I got this correct?

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

I know ‘Black Type’ is being placed in a Listed or Group race. I do not know about name protection. Seems unlikely to me a mare finishing 3rd in a listed race would be ‘protected’ wherhas a Guineas winner such as Frankel, would not. Who knows with the dipsticks making these decisions though.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

I stand corrected. I always believed the names of Classic winners were protected. I find it incredible they are not. :unsure:

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Your belief was far too sensible to actual to be correct CAS.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3020

Hamdan hasn’t been averse to giving the same name to different horses. As well as Zuhair, he also had 2 Fards. The first one won the Middle Park while the second was not so good and is currently in training with Michael Blake.
    I’m sure he’s had one or two others as well with the same name over the years. Even the Queen has done it and had 2 Hopscotch’s.

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 237

I don’t believe black type winning mares are protected. Black type is transient (races gain and lose status), so it would be difficult to maintain. My understanding is that to take a previously used name, the original animal has to be registered as dead or a certain length of time has to have passed so that it is presumed dead. There are then certain names that are protected for longer, or forever (per the list posted by Marlingford). There is some wiggle room on country of birth, so you could potentially have Frankelbean (GB) and Frankelbean (FR) on the go at the same time. I don’t know how fussy they get about that. Finally you have to hope that Mrs Magnier hasn’t reserved it. You can reserve names for free for a certain length of time (it’s a set period and quite short, can’t remember exactly). After that you have to pay. I’ve heard that Magnier gets the minions to reserve reams of names on whatever theme she is on at the time (hence the poets, countries and so on), which obviously may mess it up for you if you want one of them.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

“You could potentially have Frankelbean (GB) and Frankelbean (FR) on the go at the same time. I don’t know how fussy they get about that.”

I remember when there were two horses in training at the same time named Green Lane. One was trained by Roger Charlton for the Weinstocks, the other by Ian Balding (I think). Charlton’s horse had an IRE suffix and Balding’s was USA. Both horses ran over middle distances and in theory could have met but they never did.

If I recall correctly, Balding’s horse started its career in America before moving here. I assume it was not possible to change its name here at that time.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24484

Hamden had two Ertijaal’s running at the same time (not in same race) one was good and the other not so
    Think there were two binocular’s running in the same season too
    it’s one thing having the same name twenty years apart but running in the same season seems a bit extreme

Member since March 2008
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1246

And there was Galileo, dual Derby and King George winner in 2001. Followed by Galileo, Polish St Leger winner and then triumphant in what is now the Ballymore at Cheltenham in 2002.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 63

I remember when there were two horses in training at the same time named Green Lane. One was trained by Roger Charlton for the Weinstocks, the other by Ian Balding (I think). Charlton’s horse had an IRE suffix and Balding’s was USA. Both horses ran over middle distances and in theory could have met but they never did.

I think in the mid-90s there were two Avertis that did run in the same race. One was a Khalid Abdullah/Henry Cecil runner and the other (possibly with the IRE suffix) was trained by Willie Muir. I’ve got a feeling it was at Yarmouth and maybe it if wasn’t the same race it was the same meeting.

Hamdan/Shadwell has definitely had two called Jurz. The original was trained by Tom Jones and ended up in the West Country somewhere – Ron Hodges perhaps. Don’t know much about the second one other than when I saw it I thought “we’ve had that one before”.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.