The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your favourite moment of 2011

Home Forums Horse Racing Your favourite moment of 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

As the year draws to a close – what were your personal favourite moments in racing during 2011.

The sight of Frankel many lengths clear at the halfway point in the Guineas was the iconic moment for me. I remember feeling exhilirated – not knowing, like most of us at that point, whether Queally had simply blitzed off at a suicidal pace or if I was seeing something extraordinary. Either way it was thrilling and, of course, we know now that we were witnessing the emergence of a real once(or maybe twice)-in-a-lifetime champion.

What about your own highlight?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Ditto. My jaw was on the floor. Stunned. Still stunned about it now.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

After slagging Joseph and his dad all year winning the BC on Saint Nicholas Abbey in such wonderful fashion allowed me to forgive all and end the year on a high.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Havre de Grace winning the Woodward. Honorable mention to Court Vision’s win in the BC Mile.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 354

Gold Cup day 2011. From the early start on the gallops, getting to see Hurricane Fly led out for a pick of grass, to almost turning myself inside out screaming them home in the Gold Cup. Much as I love both horses, my heart really wanted Denman to beat Long Run, and the reception The Tank got on his return made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Wandering over to the testing boxes afterwards to see both horses, and missing the next race(s).

I’m so glad I made the most of what’s turned out to be my last chance to see Denman on a racecourse.

Ok, a bit long to be a moment… so there was a moment when Denman outjumped Kauto and I thought the race was his, and could happily have died right then.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

On the course – Frankels kick when putting Canford Cliffs to the sword
    Off the track – hearing of Monet’s Garden return to Greystoke . I could have cried.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

A toss up between Hurricane Fly winning the Champion Hurdle and Kauto Star winning at Haydock.

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1135

A couple of obvious ones….

Frankel

and his entire campaign of last season, from the breathtaking way in which he destroyed the Guineas field right up to his final and arguably most impressive performance in slamming his rivals in fantastic style at Ascot!

Kauto Star

and the way he bounced back after being wrote off by many and winning the Betfair Chase and then proving that was no fluke and doing it again to claim a superb 5th King George.

The one I really enjoyed though….

Maybe a bit biased from my pocket because it was a rare big priced, big race winner for me :wink: ….but….

Carruthers

victory in the Hennessy, not really for the horse but more the jockey Matty Batchelor to which winning a race of that calibre clearly meant so much, and the way nearly all the other top jockeys went over to offer their congratulations….it was a moment that will definitely live long in the memory!

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

I’d have to agree with Andy as I too was dismissive of St Nicholas Abbey, so to be proved wrong in the Breeder’s Cup was enervating.

However,without doubt watching The Tatling write a fairytale ending to a long and illustrious career better than any Hollywood scriptwriter could get away with was the stuff of legends.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Even though I prefer the "twig hopping" side of the sport I have to agree with Corm that Frankel’s 2,000 Guineas run was head and shoulders above anything I have seen, not only this year but in most years. The way he destroyed the opposition was something else.

For an NH highlight, again not being original and even though my money was on Long Run to win the Gold Cup, it was the battle between Denman and Kauto Star that had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

After all the years of hype we were finally getting the promised showdown and to see them locked together as they turned for home with Richard memorably saying "Denman and Kauto Star rolling back the years" in commentary.

I wouldn’t have cared a jot about the bet had either of them won that day.

It is the equine stars who will always compensate for the incompetence of those entrusted to run the sport.

Turning the topic round my two "lowlights" of the year show the dark side of racing.

The first was the worse possible start to the year, at Cheltenham, and Joe Lively’s horrific injury – certainly one of the worse I have seen on a racecourse. The second, very similar, was Rewilding’s last race and the sight of him running down the track after his fall.

I’m not ashamed to admit both made me cry.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

It would be difficult to argue with any of the moments put up so far and I would add the moment Mickael Barzalona stood up in the irons on Pour Moi at the end of this year’s Derby

But if we’re talking about moments this year that were personal to me then I would have to nominate:

Feet of Fury crossing the line at Southwell unchallenged as she turned her last race for us into a procession;

Carter swinging off the home turn with the race at his mercy at my local course (Stratford) en route to victory; and

Tourist nailing Eager To Bow on the line yesterday to bring up our tenth win of the year.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

No doubt having a connection puts the cherry on the sundae.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

It would be difficult to argue with any of the moments put up so far and I would add the moment Mickael Barzalona stood up in the irons on Pour Moi at the end of this year’s Derby

Absolutely. I took my daughter to the Derby and we watched from just beside the winning line. She’d picked out Pour Moi as her choice and she’d also taken a shine to Barzalona. I doubt she’ll EVER forget that moment at the line and nor will I. From where I was it wasn’t at all clear who had won, and I’d just seen him emerge literally last second of the race so it was a gasp-of-breath moment and I actually wondered if he’d just made the biggest mistake anyone was ever likely to make.

Thrilling moment.

And you had a few moments Tuffers – I noted your incredible strike rate today on the post on Tourist’s TRF page. Great stuff.

EmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

Guineas andddd Kauto Star in the King George

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13114

To have climbed to the highest vantage point in the stands at Newmarket to watch the 2,000 Guineas and then to witness the gasp from the crowd as Frankel pulled 6 lengths clear, and then when we all knew that nothing was going to get close the applause that lasted from almost 2 furlongs from home to the post.
    I have never and don’t think I ever will witness anything quite like it.
    At the entrance we had been issued with ‘Go Frankel’ rosettes now my most prized possession. Just glad I was there. :D

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1636

Maybe a bit biased from my pocket because it was a rare big priced, big race winner for me ….but….Carruthers victory in the Hennessy, not really for the horse but more the jockey Matty Batchelor to which winning a race of that calibre clearly meant so much, and the way nearly all the other top jockeys went over to offer their congratulations….it was a moment that will definitely live long in the memory!

Probably this one for me too, a nose ahead of Kauto’s recent triumphs.

A couple of other happy moments that spring to mind are the Tatling’s last ever run which turned into a win, and Lough Derg’s retirement.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Jumps – Kauto’s Betfair/King George Double
    Hurricane Fly’s Champion Hurdle
    Outlaw Tom’s win at Hexham

Flat-Frankel
    Twice Over’s Juddmonte
    The Derby

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.