The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

York

Home Forums Horse Racing York

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello DJ,

Agree that Knot in Wood SHOULD win a big H’Cap this year, but it should have done last year! :)

Unfortunately, it hates getting his head in front. Let’s hope the trainer has some fresh tactics this season to avoid yet another short head defeat that were so prevelant last season.

Maybe the"tender" ride today is part of an overall strategy to eventually introduce a new style of racing that will lead to victory…and beyond !!!!

regards,

doyley

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

The only horse I can see beating Authorised now is Archipenko.. Salford Mill is a terrible price…

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I disagree with you guys.  I’m not sure that I rate the animal.

Today he beat two Stoute animals which probably didn’t stay, am overmatched Ryan handicapper, a hyped Charlton drifter who may not have trained on, and a Gosden horse who couldn’t quicken in the ground.

Authorised looked good, granted. He looked real sexy going past them all on the bridle. And he might still be improving. My view is that he will have to.  There’s nothing substantial here.  And if the weather drys up, will he handle the ground?

6/4. Not for me, but best of luck.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Does anything have stronger credentials going into the race at present? No. Do I want to back him at 6/4. No.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

6/4 not for me either, but was certainly the most visually impressive trial winner, and PCH likes to leave a bit to work on. Will more than likely drift to a backable price on the day.<br>Nobody seems to agree but I think Aqaleem was quiet impressive too, a little saver for me.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

authorized looked pretty fit to me, not sure how much improvment he has in him, he reminds me of dilshan who was trained by m stoute who had a very simliar profile. The thing with authorized is he has been very impressive both times he has raced on heavy,soft ground,dont believe he will be any where near as good on faster ground that you 99%per cent of the time get at epsom.<br>

(Edited by newyork at 9:09 pm on May 17, 2007)

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Whether or not Authorized goes on to win the Derby remains to be seen, but  it is starting to look fairly safe to say that this season’s Craven was a pretty mediocre event.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

This years Craven was a poor event. Thousand Words ran a good race in France but that is as good as he is, somewhere between 110 – 113. Adagio is pretty much the same level give or take a pound or two and depending on conditions.

It’ll take a goodun to beat Authorised at Epsom because as good as he was today he can only improve and improve quite a bit I would think for a real stamina test being by Montjeu out of a Saumarez mare. He has good speed and will stay every inch. He hasn’t encountered really fast ground yet but it was pretty much good today and I doubt it’ll be significantly faster at Epsom.

He’s a short price and there’s no way I’d back him at 6/4 but he deserves to be that price IMO. He has some engine and he doesn’t seem to have any real weakness.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

There’s nothing substantial here.

As opposed to any of the other trials?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Quote: from madman marz on 5:54 pm on May 17, 2007[br]6/4 not for me either, but was certainly the most visually impressive trial winner, and PCH likes to leave a bit to work on. Will more than likely drift to a backable price on the day.<br>Nobody seems to agree but I think Aqaleem was quiet impressive too, a little saver for me.<br>

I agree with you I thought Aqaleem ran a good trial. Looked green too and should improve both for the experience and for a faster run race.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he ran a decent race at Epsom.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from Flash on 9:16 pm on May 17, 2007[br]

He’s a short price and there’s no way I’d back him at 6/4 but he deserves to be that price IMO. He has some engine and he doesn’t seem to have any real weakness.<br>

I’m confused, how can it be a no way i’d back him at 6-4, but he deserves to be that price at same time?

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 9:28 pm on May 17, 2007)

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Quote: from empty wallet on 9:27 pm on May 17, 2007[br]

Quote: from Flash on 9:16 pm on May 17, 2007[br]

He’s a short price and there’s no way I’d back him at 6/4 but he deserves to be that price IMO. He has some engine and he doesn’t seem to have any real weakness.<br>

I’m confused, how can it be a no way i’d back him at 6-4, but he deserves to be that price at same time?

<br>(Edited by empty wallet at 9:28 pm on May 17, 2007)<br>

Because I don’t back horses at that sort of price thats all.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

OK Flash,  no probs m8, your statement confused me thats all

<br>If you think he’s not worth backing at 6-4 then he should really be a lay and i was just trying to understand what you meant

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Gareth, the immediate post-race commentary on all the various media was that Authorized was highly impressive and will take all the beating at Epsom.

I thought the Dante lacked substance, at least in terms of a decent yardstick, and 6/4 is a ludicrous price. The Motivator beat a better field in his Dante and was 5/2 and 3’s in the aftermath.

Soldier of Fortune proved he can battle. Aqaleem proved he can quicken. I would be interested to talk to David Elsworth about his reaction, bearing in mind the esteem in which he holds Salford Mill. All three can be backed at much better prices and, to my mind, all have similar chances to the Chapple-Hyam horse.

What exactly did Authorized prove it could do today, that we didn’t already know?

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

I tend to agree with you Max and don’t forget Archipenko,  another promising 3yo and AoB has stated plenty more to come

(Edited by empty wallet at 9:51 pm on May 17, 2007)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.