The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What horse will you always remember?

Home Forums Horse Racing What horse will you always remember?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Decoupage

Gizmogirl
    • Total Posts 60

Flat            Reference Point (strangely underated horse but empitomised Cecil/Cauthern at their best)<br>

Coo, thought I was going to be the only one there. A golden combo at a golden moment for me. Dad bunked me off school to go to his Derby (I was 15). I had a bet on him, saw him in the paddock and told Dad to go back for seconds. I stood on a bin to get a better view and remember the flash of the yellow silks with the black spots and a roar like I’d never heard before. One for the memory banks.

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

Flat- Dawn’s Delight<br>Jumps- Desert Orchid

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

New Seeker

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Racing Daily on 11:06 pm on Dec. 16, 2006[br]Scenario: Someone asks you to name a horse.  No time to think about it.  Instant answer required.<br>What horse would spring to mind?

My answer – Sonny Somers

You may say "that’s an obscure answer".  I get the feeling that we will see some very obscure answers to this question, as famous doesn’t always mean memorable.<br>

<br>Frankly any horse that can still be winning competitive handicap chases at EIGHTEEN is to be revered as a god. Very good shout there, RD. Whilst less prolific in their dotage, and not raced until quite as old, I’ll always remember and admire the longevity of Nosam, Fiddlers Pike, Better Times Ahead and Prince Carlton.

Inevitably, though, the final vote has to go to the late Mr Q Crossett esq. of Fangdale Beck, North Yorkshire. Seldom has such a modest but honest horse given so much to so many people.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from quixallcrossett on 3:29 pm on Dec. 17, 2006[br]Blazing Walker, jumps<br>

<br>Do my eyes deceive me? :biggrin:

Only kidding, he was a fine servant also.

I’ve thought of others for me – Bishopdale, Perroquet, Xaipete, Just So… oh dear, just one horse alone won’t do me, I’m afraid.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from clivex on 11:10 am on Dec. 18, 2006[br]<br>Jumps        Aonoch  (anyone else remember him?)<br>

<br>Oh God yes, Clive – a regular ride for Sharon Oliver and well capable of landing big handicap hurdles at whopping odds.

gc<br>

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Scottish Jamie on 8:05 pm on Dec. 18, 2006[br]<br> the loveably slow but game KittenKat

<br>Awwwww, I loved her to bits as well! Verily a horse for whom the phrase "needs five miles" would have been coined.

I think she’s been sent to the paddocks now, hasn’t she? Could be all set to produce some of the most dour plodders EVER.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 123

Think you’re right there GC, not seen her out this season so presume she is off to the paddocks. Bizarrely she was a close relation of Rooster Booster, he must have got her share of the family speed !

qzy
    • Total Posts 6

Moscow Flyer for me

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Desert Orchid<br>One Man<br>Best Mate<br>Teeton Mill<br>

(Edited by PAULCS at 12:50 pm on Dec. 19, 2006)

Malc Smith
    • Total Posts 61

Best Mate

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

I’d have to say the first horse I really followed, and the horse that made racing such a sentimental, emotional  game for me:

Comedy of Errors

Others that spring to mind and bring a tear to the eye:

Night Nurse/Monksfield (belong together)<br>Sea Pigeon<br>Desert Orchid<br>Spartan Missile<br>Past Master (started a race 3 times out of 10)<br>Nice to see someone mention Kittenkat! <br>Pebbles<br>Red Rum

What was that hurdler (graysonscolumn’ll know) beginning with ‘A’ probably in the eighties that was top class and died in a race at the top of his game? Bloody memory! Sorry I can’t come up with any more clues!

(Edited by Burroughhill at 6:52 am on Dec. 19, 2006)

warrej
    • Total Posts 37

Flying God

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

King of Kings

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.