The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What horse will you always remember?

Home Forums Horse Racing What horse will you always remember?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Karaoke King.

The closest I’ve ever been to a ‘life-changer’.  The date was Friday 13th (!) 2003 and I decided to have a multiple bet.  As a bettor in singles, it was the first time I had done that for at least ten years and I haven’t done it since.  I have absolutely no idea why I put that bet on.

I’d already had a winner in the afternoon but thought no more about it and disappeared for a cricket net in the evening.  Switching on Sky when I got home, I immediately saw Glistening Silver bolt home at 25-1.  I then checked other results on teletext: Toy Story had won at 25-1, Sharp Hat at 8-1 and it was all going on to Karaoke King, due to run in the last race of the night.

I had taken 8-1 on the bet and the bloody thing was punted into 11-4 fav.  I was staring at total winnings of about 165k.  Bounced out into the lead, quickened momentarily then was caught over 1f out and finished a well-beaten third.

It was a hell of a blast, but I seemed to realise it was my one shot at punting immortality and basically I’d lost (apart from five grand’s worth of trebles).  It seemed futile to try again, so I haven’t.

Bloody Karaoke King.

Mike<br>

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Good call on Spartan Missile BH – really like your list.

My own choice would be the breathtaking Tingle Creek.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Burroughhill on 6:40 am on Dec. 19, 2006[br]<br>What was that hurdler (graysonscolumn’ll know) beginning with ‘A’ probably in the eighties that was top class and died in a race at the top of his game? Bloody memory! Sorry I can’t come up with any more clues!

<br>It wasn’t Arcot of Jeremy Glover’s, was it? Killed at the last hurdle when favourite for the 1994 Swinton Hurdle.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

purr
    • Total Posts 13

Run and Skip.

Others would include Midnight Madness, Private Views, Cashew King, Sir Jest, Antonin, Roberty Lea and One Man.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Zameliana – our syndicate horse :)

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

The Almighty Lammtarra, enough said.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

I will always remember my boy No Chance To Dance

and for bad reasons i will always remember Ballinger Ridge (the race at Lingfield that has most likely got Fallon into all this trouble amongst other races)

ofcourse others i will never forget: Giant’s Causeway, Dessie and Solerina

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I remember backing Cashew King at 11/1, as the outsider of three, at Ascot.  The market was something like 5/6, 11/10, 11/1.  CK was wayyy overpriced that day :)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Cashew King had fallen at the first on his chase debut and the jolly at Ascot was Michael Buckley’s The Proclamation, who sadly dies after sustaining injuries when doing the splits at an early obstacle. I believe that Young Snugfit was the other runner. (I’m going to check the RP database now!!)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

11/10 twice and 12/1 it transpires.

For the benefit of the tape, yours truly backed the winner at 12/1 in the Ladbrokes shop on the corner of Clerk Street and Preston Street in Edinburgh. I subsequently lent £20 to a ne’er do well called Stuart Rose who smelled shocking and used to sneak into Powderhall Stadium for the last four races as it was free.

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Pebbles.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Quote: from rory on 6:13 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]11/10 twice and 12/1 it transpires.

For the benefit of the tape, yours truly backed the winner at 12/1 in the Ladbrokes shop on the corner of Clerk Street and Preston Street in Edinburgh. I subsequently lent £20 to a ne’er do well called Stuart Rose who smelled shocking and used to sneak into Powderhall Stadium for the last four races as it was free.<br>

I didn’t know that info would be available at the RP site.  Was it 12/1?  I got better value than I recalled :)<br>One of th efew winners I have ever got at Ascot.  A dodgy track for me.  Hot Grove placing was a killer that i’ll never forget, along with the other five win bets that placed on that day :(

roland
    • Total Posts 302

i’m a relative newbie and my favourites all come from the present era.

Jair du cochet was a horse that had everything in his career. Robbed of a chance at the triumph hurdle due to foot and mouth but possibly the best juvenile hurdler seen for decades. His last race over hurdles as a juvenile was simply astonishing to see. <br>A fantastic novice chaser culminating in an awesome Feltham victory when 5yo which was just 1 second slower than the King George on that same day. In the Sun alliance chase that same year he came 2nd with possibly the worst ride these biased eyes have ever seen. i still have nightmares about it!<br>Pillar chase winner to boot, and one of the few horses to beat best mate at his peak he was sadly killed on the gallops preparing for the Gold Cup when 7yo.

Swansea Bay and in particular Ei Ei are my other favourites who are responsable for between them, in the years of 2002 and 2003, a hugely prosperous period within my household!;)

(Edited by roland at 7:26 pm on Dec. 19, 2006)

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 12:24 pm on Dec. 19, 2006[br]

Quote: from Burroughhill on 6:40 am on Dec. 19, 2006[br]<br>What was that hurdler (graysonscolumn’ll know) beginning with ‘A’ probably in the eighties that was top class and died in a race at the top of his game? Bloody memory! Sorry I can’t come up with any more clues!

<br>It wasn’t Arcot of Jeremy Glover’s, was it? Killed at the last hurdle when favourite for the 1994 Swinton Hurdle.

gc

No it’s not him. I was sitting watching ATR this afternoon when it came to me in a flash….Lanzarote.

Yes I know it doesn’t begin with an A, but I couldn’t think past ‘Azertiuop’ at the time, probably because it’s got a Z in it too! My stupidity amazes even me sometimes….

I’ll have to dig out my old journal I used to keep when I was a teenager. It’s got a reference to the racing on every page. I used to make comments like "Past Master failed to start again" and "Comedy won today. Yippee!". <br>Might bring back a few memories and a few old names.

Roland I’m glad you mentioned Ei Ei! That was another I was going to add to my list this evening. He was another killed during a race, jumping the last when winning if I remember rightly. <br>

(Edited by Burroughhill at 8:57 pm on Dec. 19, 2006)

absolution
    • Total Posts 214

NH – Hill House – ‘famous’ winner of 1967 Schweppes

Flat – Top Cees – could write a whole book……

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.