The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Was Istabraq turning up a bit of a stitch up?

Home Forums Archive Topics Was Istabraq turning up a bit of a stitch up?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    tooting
    • Total Posts 379

Kathy,

some support for you today from Will Buckley in the Observer – asks almost exactly the same question.

hobnob
    • Total Posts 9

Everyone seems to have really short memories. Two years ago, when he won his last champion hurdle, he was found to have blood on his nose after arriving at the racecourse. AOB told the public – something we should be thankful for, the same as we should be thankful they were so honest this time – we were never kept in the dark. Anyway, they took the decision to run him in 2000, taking a huge chance, and it paid off. I don’t see that what happened this year is any different. It might have seemed like it was impossible for him to win this year but I remember a hell of a lot of people saying the same thing in 2000 – nobody said the horse shouldn’t have run then, so why are they saying it now?<br>Its all over now anyway – no point arguing over it, i hope he has a long and happy retirement, and the injury clears up soon.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>according to local legend  chelt council teamed up with gillespie  in a plan to attract more irish toursits to come to the town  so they could recover even more of last years losses.

ladbrokes being  long time supporters  of cheltenham  council  (helps when planning applications are submitted)    agreed to join in the plot.

it was therefore agreed   that  ladbrokes would receive  favourable  assents to their planning requests  if they could ensure  istys attendence.

therefore  ladbrokes immediatly contacted jp   and promised him  that  if he brought isty over   no matter whom won  race   they would place  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£20  on the nose  of the winner at early morning prices  and he would have the winnings paid in cash tax free.

the rest as they say is history

sidders
    • Total Posts 46

MY TURN………………………

I hear people say Istabraq was 8/1 to be pulled up or not finish…?? Nice price !!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder who placed 100,000 Euros on Isty with Paddy Power at 8/1 the day before he ran………….<br>Bit of a scam or just pure innocence………?????????

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Where are the facts to say someone had 100K @ 8/1 . I also would be led to believe that 800,000/100,000 would more than likely cause a price cut , especially when Powers max payout is 500,000. Dont believe every piece of bullshit story you hear Siddlers…..

sidders
    • Total Posts 46

Hi Gearoid,<br>    Getting on you nerves this thread I think.By what i can tell you loved the horse and had every faith in the bugger. Now I aint going to disagree with you on that cos I lost just a bit more on him than you did as I had no reason to believe he would be beat…..(gutted me !!)<br>This ‘story’ or whatever you wanna call it came from a man who has just come back over from Ireland and his exact words where "Paddy Power took 100,00 Euros on Monday for Isty" Duty rumour now in Ireland is that JP MAY have done it………………….alledgedly.<br>I know your over their mate so see if you can shed any light on it for us and tomorrow when I see him I’ll ask where he saw the bet recorded………

:) :) :)

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

Sidders, that is honestly the most sneaky example of trying to stir things up a little I have ever seen in my life,

If you honestly believe those rumours about JP then I can only come to the conclusion that you are either very gullible, or very, very stupid

sidders
    • Total Posts 46

DANIEL……..stop calling me names and read the thread again reference JP…….excuse me for being THICK but I did,nt say I beleived em……………

Personally I dont give a donkey’s rude bits…………..

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Every big bet struck is linked to J.P. Who is to say he had 100K on Like-A-Butterfly ? Or does anyone remember he was linked to a £120,000/£80,000 on Behrajan when beaten by Hati Roy even tough he never bets odds on ? The fact is no one had a €100,000 at 8/1 for the simple reason that it exceeds there max payout. Your right this thread and the whole Istabraq thing is getting on my nerves especially the crap about this alleged 8/1. he was also 3/1 not to finish the race.

ALI
    • Total Posts 43

JP, a multi millionare, acting in such a desperate way, i doubt it very much. I’m sure when he places his bets they are more for fun, not because he needs the winnings.

Anyway, why the hell would any bookmaker lay 8/1 on Istabraq not finnishing the race to the very man that owns the bloody horse??????????????

This 8/1 on Isty not finnishing was no doubt a novelty bet, i dont think for one second that they would have taken a bet of 100k on this.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Sidders you are either a liar or stupid.There is no way on earth that Paddy Power laid that bet.I’m sorry if you don’t like what I say but I would say its fair comment.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Sidders would have us believe that not only did Paddy Power lay the 100,000 at 8/1 but they also held the price.Maybe Kathy and himself should start writing the X-Files.

Flagship
    • Total Posts 9

What an interesting thread. I’ve been looking forward to seeing this since last Tuesday.

I had the pleasure of being at Cheltenham and seeing the (non-event) Champion Hurdle.

I’m particularly interested that Kathy raised the question as (the rumour) was exactly what I had heard from a bookmaker on the course!

What I found the most fascinating was Mr Barry Dennis’ book on the Champion Hurdle. Below are the prices chalked up on Mr Dennis’ board from about 30 minutes before the off to about 2 minutes before……..

9/4 Istabraq

Yes, thats all he priced up on the race until a couple of minutes before the race.

Thats a pretty strong opinion on the race, don’t you think?

Interestingly I believe this is the only time during the festival I saw anything of this nature. You would have loved Mr Dennis’ face after 30 seconds of the race……I couldn’t tell whether this was pure relief or whether this was just embarassment….I am certain it was only relief…..(for legal reasons!)<br> <br>Didn’t see the Morning Line and am unaware of the bismark or whether this is normal practice at one of the largest betting events in the calander…

Would be interested in comments……

sidders
    • Total Posts 46

Thankyou very much Escorial……….

I rest my case !!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

<br>As for the X-Files Luke  !!!!!…….Kathy, you up for it.????;) :biggrin:

(Edited by sidders at 8:22 pm on Mar. 18, 2002)

beard
    • Total Posts 15

Just to throw a spanner in the works:<br>FACT-JP had backed both Landing Light and Valiramix ante-post.

Now that makes for an interesting scenario.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.