The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Was Istabraq turning up a bit of a stitch up?

Home Forums Archive Topics Was Istabraq turning up a bit of a stitch up?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

I honestly find this thread highy insulting. I had €500 on Istabraq and was in a sorry state in the front row of the parade ring. HELLO ESCORIAL the big screen is in view of the parade ring. You are the one who says you cannot judge a race and that you look to the form book. Are you saying that it is impossible that Aiden O’Brien could not tell ?????????? Come on man do you really think they pulled a stroke. Aiden knew he was risking the horse but they still thought a big run was possible. Stop the conspiracy bullshit , the horse was there to win.

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

But Katy , your point is spot on. I do not expect or want you to apoligise.  If that is your view than I am here to arguye it . I feel very strongly on the issue. The horse is the champ and  I roared that at him as he passed me in the ring. My heart is pumping just thinking about him being lead in as the winner , 10 feet away from me. But it was not meant to be. Do not try and tell me he was an non-trier , that is bollocks……………..

(Edited by Gearoid VI at 11:16 pm on Mar. 14, 2002)

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

Jumping in these islands would be in a lot worse of a position without supporters like JP mcmanus. It is insulting what is suggested on this forum. Free speech etc , things that are a given on here. I think it is the most idiotic idea here to suggest that JP carried the horse over ot get the 8/1 for him not to finish, from people who should know better.

<br>  

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Did anyone see Charlir Swans interview????? The man was like me , he was close to tears. Did you see how Aiden O’Brien turned in disgust ,  he knew the horse was not at the races ????? Did you see the shame on J.P’s face as he admitted it was Hors La Loi III day and not the time to announce his retirement ??? Yes ye are right , of coure Istabraq was a bookie runner…………………………………………..

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Katy , if someones send you a private message than why should you broadcast that here ? This is an open forum , are you an agony aunt all of a sudden ? The fact is that the horse had an unexpected injury. I have no doubt that he would have pissed that field if 90% right. The conspiracy stuff reminds me of a genuine horse winning a QEII over Novere…………………………

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

Kathy, you are entitled to your opinion but I really wonder what impression you have about racing if you believe what some of you are saying to have any shred of truth,

You may not know over there but McManus, O’Brien and co have been on every radio programme, every TV programme, not just racing but general interest programmes with people who know crap all about racing,

They have been asked again and again, and if you are saying they deceived everyone in Ireland when they knew he had no chance then I am worried. Sure, they weren’t confident, but how many other horses ran this week with little knocks that they hoped had cleared up,

Isty had a scare the night before his last Champion Hurdle but they ran him and he won,

And as for speculation behind the scenes before the race and stuff, really you should know better at this stage !! How many rumours was there before anyone of his races,

If you took all the rumours there has been about certain horses over the years and staked your money on those rumours coming true you would be quite poor as a result ..

I can’t believe anyone could possibly suggest this, what an insult. I weep

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Yes Daniel , I wonder how anyone can argue the very thought of such a thing. Katy , you might think you are doing some justice in airing the views of people who have private messagened you. Lets be serious , were you there ??? It could not , could not , could not , could not , could not , could not , could not ever happen….

Boggles Back
    • Total Posts 14

I’d probably have to say I’m with Georoid on this one. It was well publicised before the race that Isty can have a lot of ‘off’ days now he is getting on a bit. The way I see it, O’Brien probably thought that if he was having a ‘going’ day, eg. reacted to the roar and got the old adrenaline pumping he could do it again. As it turns out he didn’t, I and many others done their cash but i DONT think it was a conspiracy.

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

Kathy,

I tend to think racing stinks to high heaven most of the time.

In this case, though, I think it was just the triumph of hope over reality, on the part of everyone – trainer, owner, jockey, punters, an entire nation.

Hope of course is the last and cruellest of all Pandora’s evils.<br>  

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

It appears the connections of Istabraq were hoping rather than expecting…and that isn’t the basis on which to run a horse in the Champion hurdle. You’ve got to expect your horse to win, not just hope for the best.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Kathy I would love to tell you what I think of your opinions but I strongly suspect it would be deleted.<br>Do you have any idea how much JPMcManus is worth.This man offered £50 million to the Irish government towards the cost of building a national sports stadium provided it was built to the highest standards.The Sunday Tribune had a piece on the wealthiest people in Ireland a couple of years ago and basically they said McManus was probably a billionaire.<br>McManus openly said in interviews before Tuesday that he wasn’t going to have a penny on the horse.Yesterday he didn’t have a bet on Barracouda and Bannow Bay owned by his closest associates was the subject of a mega punt -was there anything improper there.<br>                  

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Well Kathy I have said what I think which is more than be said about you.Your comment about even the richest owner in the world having his price is plainly ridiculous.

larry layer
    • Total Posts 84

Kathy, I’m on the fence whether to agree with your suggestion or not… both sides are plausible in my eyes.  But I whole heartedly agree with you for putting your view on the forum like you have.  As you say, this is a forum for all to read and you were simply putting a possible reason for Isti running out there.  Guys there’s no need to be angry with Kathy for doing this, she has a right to suggest some food for thought, and its cool if you disagree :)  But please be respectful to Kathy for doing it, allow people to have their point of view and be able to express it as they like.  

Gearoid VI
    • Total Posts 56

Kathy , What exactly are you trying to imply. I never said you should not put up this thread or that people should not air there views. Once your views are up they are there to be shot at.

Daniel McD
    • Total Posts 34

This kind of attitude persists everywhere in this oh so cynical world,

In hindsight, everyone is wise…

This is the kind of stuff conspiracy theorists dream of, I hear the Russians were behind the 9/11 attacks now

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.