The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

usa vs uk

Home Forums Horse Racing usa vs uk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 386 total)
  • Author
    griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

Lasix is for bleeding.

Ven, I don’t think Bute is allowed in all states, but certainly in Kentucky.

The permissible amount of Lasix allowed is half as much in Canada than in the US and is administered by the vet on the morning of the race. $90 (£45) Canadian a shot, or there abouts.

They should get rid of both and come into line with the rest of the world.

Although I use the exchanges to bet on UK racing, I think they are a licence for absolute corruption.

The handicap system forces ‘corruption’. A trainer has to ‘use the system’ otherwise the horses would have little chance of ever winning again.

I’m not so fond of the claiming system, but it does grade the horses and if you drop to low, then you will lose your horse.

We’ve had problems, as have the States with ‘milkshakes’ etc. I think 3 months is nowhere near enough of a punishment. Working the handicap I can live with, but things like this are outright cheating.

I think racing here at Woodbine is fairly straight. It’s by no means perfect and certainly not without it’s types, but it’s as good as anywhere and better than most.

<br>

<br>

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Good to see jockeys Dean Williams and Brian Reilly warned off for 18 months apiece and ex-owner and off course bookie Owen Churchill for 8 years as the HRA continue to clean up racing’s tawdry image. Full transcript yet to appear on the HRA website but clear message that systematically leaking information and more isn’t "inside information" but is in fact corrupt.<br>

(Edited by Lingfield at 7:35 pm on Dec. 11, 2006)

bimble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

<br>  This is the link , but it is Dean Williams , not Darren <br>  Williams , who has been suspended .

http://www.thehra.org/doc.php?id=43906

slipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

deleted … link posted above..

(Edited by slipperytoad at 7:10 pm on Dec. 11, 2006)

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Aplogies and thanks for the correction bimble, got my "Ds" mixed up

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Is Dean the younger brother of Darren?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Peter Savill is reported to have once said that, ‘Inside information was the life blood of racing .. ‘<br>Should he be warned off and sacked ?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Why are they allowed to continue riding pending an appeal, when KF is not? They have actually been found guilty and can still ride. Reilly has a ride at Southwell tomorrow.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

with the intention of not obtaining the best possible placing, in the knowledge that the horse was being laid to lose on betting exchange Betfair

<br>Sentence don’t seem to fit the crime  and  allowing them to ride while waiting for an appeal hearing is an absolute disgrace

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 7:52 am on Dec. 12, 2006)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I dont think that fixing horse races is a criminal offense, but I’m not sure.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Churchill apparently still runs a betting shop. Will anyone object next time his licence comes up for renewal?

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from dave jay on 8:59 am on Dec. 12, 2006[br]I dont think that fixing horse races is a criminal offense, but I’m not sure. <br>

<br>I’m not sure either Dave,  maybe someone with a decent wedge should try and take these people to court and find out, if in a court of law,  these people have commited the crime of fraud.

Better still, the company where these actions took place should take these people to court on behalf of it’s customers, who lost money backing the horse in the  races mentioned

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 9:31 am on Dec. 12, 2006)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

EW, it is conspiracy to defraud, there is no such crime as fraud in the british judicial system.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Cheers Aragorn, i should really get up scarch on the Laws of the land before sticking me neb in shouldn’t i :biggrin:

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

Don’t get me wrong – of course all races should be run straight – but I always have a wry smile when people talk about punters who have lost money when a horse is pulled taking people to court. What about all those  innocent but lucky punters who won on the race when they shouldn’t have done. Under TRF ethics are they duty bound to pay back their ill gotten gains?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 386 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.