The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

UK sprinters

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nemaluk
    • Total Posts 2

Greetings,

I’m a newcomer to the forum. I’m based in Hong Kong and am interested in how you UK punters see the quality of your sprinters this year, compared with the last half-decade when raiders from Aus have taken a lot of your Royal Ascot prizemoney.

Have you got anything good enough to trouble Hong Kong’s Sacred Kingdom – if he is back at his peak?

His return from a layoff due to injury and an op was less than impressive for his first couple of starts, and even his win in HK before heading to Singapore was not at his previous level.

But the Singapore run was very good, though he probably would have been beaten by the local Singapore champ Rocket Man if the barriers were reversed. But that is no disgrace as Rocket Man next season will be sensational wherever he races if he achieves the normal rate of improvement from 3 years to 4.

So what have you got at "best in the world" level?

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Amour Propre is probably the only one at present, he looked something special at Newmarket, for a 3 year old to win on his first time of asking against big experienced sprinters in great style is a mark of something special imo.

Of course he needs fast ground but everything about him is striking to me which is impressive since he is small which is not a traitfor sprinters, and I think he won with plenty in reserve if needed and he also broke 2 course records as a 2 year old and his Palace House run the clock showed an impressive time.

He is a worthy ante post favourite for The Kings Stand Stakes.

Wouldn’t be a surprise if he runs for Ballydoyle by the end of the season.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think were lucky the Budapest bullet Overdose is sidelined or he would rout the lot of them. There’s a lack of class among the home team at the moment IMO

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

For the King’s Stand Stakes (5f – 1000m), some of us still have faith in Fleeting Spirit. However, that is all based upon one performance in the Temple Stakes (Group 2) first time out in 2008 at Haydock. She was disappointing afterwards. The point is that this season she deliberately isn’t having a prep race, and will be going to Royal Ascot fresh.

For the Golden Jubilee (6f – 1200m), I think we are hoping that the foreign raiders will have lost their edge by having competed in the King’s Stand 4 days earlier. The unknown quantities for both us and you are the 3yo horses that I refer to as the Guineas Rejects: will Finjaan, Bushranger or Art Connoisseur step up to the mark? I’m sure that lots of us will be having bets on these, if they are at big enough prices. (Personally, I will be on Sir Gerry, as he is always thereabouts in 6f races at Ascot.)

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Is Finjann in the Golden Jubilee? I didnt realise! I’d very much like to see that – think he could be a dark horse.

I’m already on Bell’s AC – Like I mentioned the other day, my respect for his ability to get a horse ready for a big assignment has increased even more after Sariska’s Oaks win.

Sir Gerry could have a whole new lease of life going to the Best stable too.

Good shortlist, Gerald. Very interesting indeed

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Yes – just checked. Finjaan is entered in the Golden Jubilee and the July Cup.

Art Connoisseur a 50-50 chance for Royal Ascot

By racingpost.com staff3.07PM 29 MAY 2009

ART CONNOISSEUR is rated no better than a "50-50 chance" for the Golden Jubilee at Royal Ascot after trainer Michael Bell revealed the horse had thrown a splint.

Winner of the Coventry Stakes at last year’s meeting, Art Connoisseur was last seen finishing seventh in the Betterbet European Free Handicap at Newmarket under top weight.

And although Bell is still keen to go to the royal meeting if he can, the race is not necessarily the principle target of the horse’s season.

He said: "Everything was going according to plan and I wanted to run him as he’s a course and distance winner but boringly he popped a splint on his near fore.

"He’s been to the equine pool in Newmarket and missed some work. He’s coming back on Tuesday and I hope we can get him ready."

The son of Lucky Story is a general 33-1 shot for the 6f Group 1 contest but Bell is content to wait for the Darley July Cup on July 10 if necessary.

"I’d say he’s a 50-50 chance and I will only run him if I think he can run well. If things were not right I’d wait for the July Cup," Bell told At The Races.

I keep forgetting that Sir Gerry has joined Best.

Best was trainer of Kingsgate Native, who won the Nunthorpe and was 2nd in l’Abbaye as a 2yo, and won the Golden Jubilee as a 3yo last season. Retired to stud, he fired blanks. Either that, or he couldn’t get it up. One doesn’t like to enquire too much into these matters.
    He is now back in training, but with Sir Michael Stoute this time. I joked whether Sir Michael Stoute had any other sprinters to work him with (that is if you ever do work sprinters together). That was just before edited: ( don’t normally pay too much attention to trainers :oops: ) Main Aim emerged.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Well done. Good for you, Halfway.

Believe it or not, I didn’t have a bet on the race! Haven’t watched it yet either, as I was working overtime.

Thankfully, never got around to my £200 bet on Sir Gerry, as I was waiting for the day of the race market, as I thought he’d be a bigger price.

Annoyingly though, I backed Art Connoisseur for the 2000 Guineas, in both the Win & Place markets. Now if I hadn’t been working today, and I decided to put my bet on AC instead . . .

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7239

Do you guys think Scenic Blast will win the July cup.I think he should do it.But i feel Marchand’dor will get a place as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.