The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Thyestes 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Thyestes 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Always a cracker this……

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/184/gowran-park/2021-01-28/776456

No market yet, but the two horses I wanted to see listed, Brahma Bull, and Acapella Bourgeois, are both there. Both fit the profile I look for in this, and Brahma Bull in particular is a long term fancy for this. He’s hardly straightforward though, and his jumping can be sketchy to say the least. I still like him though, and they’ll hopefully get the tactics spot on.

No market yet, but I’ll start chipping away early on the pair of them, price permitting.

Stones and Roses really interesting too, but he’ll surely not get in.

Plenty of others to catch the eye though…

Any Second Now is far better than his mark, but surely Aintree will be priority, while I’ll be keeping the faith with Ten Ten this season, even after his poor show in The Paddy Power Chase.

The Gigginstown pair of Coko Beach, and Farclas look big winners waiting to happen, but I get the impression it’ll be the spring for them. Both worth keeping an eye on.

The one who could be a real fly in the ointment for my pair is Spyglass Hill. Very poor start to the season, but encouraging signs last time, and I might just cover him.

No market yet, but all about this trio for me…..

Acapella Bourgeois
    Brahma Bull
    Spyglass Hill

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

Agree on Brahma Bull big time.

Other two for my starter shortlist are: Assemble + The Big Dog.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Yeah Jack, been hoping that Brahma would be here, but it’s just that bloody jumping lol.

Massive chance if he holds it together, but will he, that’s the big question.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

Interesting Bobby.

At first look, Long Mile won well last time, but the favourite fell + 12pd rise makes him easy to ignore.

Acapella off 156 and at 10/1 is also short. How many pounds can he really have in hand of his mark at this stage? He is the type of horse who could run a “monster” performance so to speak from the front.

Assemble at 20/1 would be of definite interest, but i suspect he probably won’t go.

Brahma Bull at 10s is rather annoying lol. As you say Bobby he can throw in a bad jump or two, but i do think he’s improve over them in general (bar the unseat). I could see him as one of those 160 horses that isn’t quite a G1 horse so for me he has room to win off 151.

Augusta Gold finshing a hd 2nd off 134 in theory makes her badly handicapped probably here after winning on her reappearance. She could be improving though and is a good staying mare.

The Big Dog, i probably did want bigger than 16s also….

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

My main bet here will be Farclas or Spyglass Hill, but I’m a sucker for Saturnas, and I’m going to take 50/1 ew just now

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2691

Farclas 14-1 ew 5 places. Backed him when he ran nice in the Paddy Power Chase and up just a pound. I did look at Brahma Bull but he only has chase experience of fields of 4-8 runners. So I will stick with Farclas.

fgwilson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

interested in koshari but more interested in cheltenham. quoted 10/1 to win any race but not listed in any of the races. wouldnt back mullins ante post anyway no indication which of his runners will run

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3774

Koshari has talent and I’ve backed him before- and might do here- but he’s a sketchy enough jumper too. I like Farclas and AFAIK they’ve long thought a trip would suit but also think he prefers better ground. If he turns up in a good ground XC at Cheltenham I’m backing him…he’s a neat little horse.

Might join Autumnal on Saturnas but will sit tight for bow.

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

I’ll have one early bet in this. Tout Est Permis at 16-1

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

A couple of possibles for here declared for the weekending.

The Big Dog (one of my shortlisted)
    Augusta Gold

It might actually be worth taking a view soon on this with a 10/1 and 16/1 surely not running now..

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Yeah Jack, agree with that. I’ve taken the 10’s for Brahma Bull.

I’ve had a decent swing at that 10’s, as this is a bigger betting race for me, and he’s a proper long term fancy for it. I’ll be watching it from behind the couch mind, with his jumping.

I’ll definitely add Acapella if he doesn’t declare for The Horse and Jockey on Sunday.

Spyglass Hill the only other one I’m looking at.

Edit, topped up at 12’s, and had a saver on Spyglass Hills 14’s.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

I’d want to be with Minella Fair at 20-1. He’s my ap selection. On the day, I can see myself adding Livelovelaugh.

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 55

Spyglass Hill 12-1, and Discordantly at 18-1 are my choices. I’m particularly keen about Discordantly and I think that’s a fine price.

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

One bet is a non runner. The one I was going to bet on the day, doesn’t go either.

I should leave well alone now. The signs are not good, but I’m on a recovery mission with Koshari, though it would be silly for me to bet before the final declarations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.