The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most over-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most over-rated horse of all time

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1688

I do not believe Curlin was at his best after the Dubai World Cup win.

Another example of failed planning post-DWC. I truly believe if you deviate away from a set plan, and then jump back on it later on, you are destined to fail.

Curlin was Arc-bound. Ran average in a Grade I turf race which Sudan bolted 12 lengths clear as the pace, and the plans changed.

And on Celtic Swing – for what Timeform and The Times and McCririck among others thought of the outlook for this horse (an immortal and nothing less), he became over-rated. But I will argue he is the best horse to be over-rated on this list. :roll:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I think the surface is a thoroughly valid excuse, to be honest. However, this is an argument that can never end so that will do for me.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Dear Dubai,
    Hardy Eustace was hardly ever over rated but he could have been under rated when he won the two Cheltenham Champion Hurdles.

PEEPINGFAWN
    • Total Posts 40

how about Denman?…. came out all guns blazing then not a lot since…..
    now I have lit the blue touch paper I think shall retreat ! :oops:

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Most over rated horse

NEVER

to have raced was Snaffi Dancer

The son of Northern Dancer a horse whose progeny both Coolmore and Darley were all out to eager to purchase was sold to Sheik Mohamed for $10.2 million after abitter battle in the sales ring between the Coolmore and Darley camps.

The quote from the breeder was ‘Well I wish it well but we are made for life now without the need to ever work again’.

Never ever raced as it was deemed to slow.

Next step was to go to stud but fired blanks!

Where is that now?

Another hype horse was Henry Cecil’s

Killer Instinct

reported to have been flying on the Newmarket gallops with Fallon on board backed before it had ever run to win Classic races.

Even Mick Kinanne could not get it to win a 5 runner maiden but to be fair it did 1 race whicgh was a Nottingham maiden @ 7s on!

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Should this thread be re-named the "name the top class horse you don’t like either for irrational, non-sensical or financial reasons"?

PEEPINGFAWN
    • Total Posts 40

Should this thread be re-named the "name the top class horse you don’t like either for irrational, non-sensical or financial reasons"?

calm down
    chief :wink: xx

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Yeats instantly springs to mind.

I think you are on the wrong thread with that one!

To me, Yeats dominated in an era when the opposition was mediocre … especially the ones he faced in the three Ascot Gold Cups. I think horses from the past such as Ardross, Sadeem, Double Trigger and possibly even Gildoran would’ve beaten Geordieland without much fuss.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

it must be numorous flat horses for me given the over the top way they hype horses up to try and be as popular as the jumpers ie: persian punch

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

I wondered how long it would be before this thread was created – or indeed, if it ever would be, given the way the press hype up so many horses in their eternal bid to unearth the latest "superstar" (whatever that term might mean).

As far as my list goes, how long have you got ? :wink:

Here are a few for starters :

Nashwan (just what exactly did he beat ? )
    Best Mate (best of a poor bunch in my opinion)
    Giacometti (anyone remember him ?)
    Levanter (another overhyped animal trained by Ryan Price and retired after just 4 races)
    Mill Reef (never liked this horse – in my opinion, the Brigadier was a far better horse)
    Lammtara (retired after just 4 races, presumably using the old "nothing left to prove" argument ! )
    Hawk Wing (a very in and out performer)
    Galileo
    Sir Ivor (a good horse but beaten plenty of times at the top level)
    Denman
    Lanzarote
    Celtic Swing
    Crowned Prince
    Ribofilio

the list is endless……………..

I think that really great horses come around far less often than we are led to believe, because it suits the financial interests of owners, breeders etc to hype their steeds up, sometimes to a ridiculous degree, and to try to convince us all that they are " the best thing since sliced bread".

It saddens me to see so many of the press and some of the TV pundits (especially Derek Thompson) fall for this nonsense time and time again, but I guess they feel they need to try to inject some kind of hysteria into racing and to view some contests as if they were a prize fight.

Why ever can’t a sense of proprtion be maintained ? It isn’t that difficult, surely – or is it ? :roll:

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

I wondered how long it would be before this thread was created – or indeed, if it ever would be, given the way the press hype up so many horses in their eternal bid to unearth the latest "superstar" (whatever that term might mean).

Levanter (another overhyped animal trained by Ryan Price and retired after just 4 races)
    Mill Reef (never liked this horse – in my opinion, the Brigadier was a far better horse)
    Lammtara (retired after just 4 races, presumably using the old "nothing left to prove" argument ! )
    Galileo
    Denman
    Lanzarote
    Celtic Swing
    Crowned Prince
    Ribofilio

I think that really great horses come around far less often than we are led to believe, because it suits the financial interests of owners, breeders etc to hype their steeds up, sometimes to a ridiculous degree, and to try to convince us all that they are " the best thing since sliced bread".

It saddens me to see so many of the press and some of the TV pundits (especially Derek Thompson) fall for this nonsense time and time again, but I guess they feel they need to try to inject some kind of hysteria into racing and to view some contests as if they were a prize fight.

Why ever can’t a sense of proprtion be maintained ? It isn’t that difficult, surely – or is it ? :roll:

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

Galileo
    Denman
    Lanzarote
    Celtic Swing
    Crowned Prince
    Ribofilio

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

Sorry for the apparent triple posting – I wasn’t trying to emphasise my point – merely having PC problems !!!! :roll:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Dont even get me started on DATO STAR.

Oi!!

You will not speak ill of the massively

under

-rated Dato Star on this forum!!!

:evil:

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

A Gr.1 Champion Stakes winner.
    A Gr.1 Irish Champion Stakes winner.
    A Gr.1 Juddmonte International winner.
    A Gr.1 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes winner.
    A Gr.1 Breeder’s Cup Mile winner.

:roll:

I do agree with you r.e. Best Mate though. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Another hype horse was Henry Cecil’s

Killer Instinct

reported to have been flying on the Newmarket gallops with Fallon on board backed before it had ever run to win Classic races.

Hyped-up and under-laid due in no small part to the subliminal message coursing through punters’ neurons that a horse called Killer Instinct just

must

be good:

The

Killer Instinct – to coin an annoying McCririckism – spoken in the hushed, gravelly tones of a movie trailer

Would Brigadier Gerard have been sent off 7/4 for a Magnet Cup :shock:

As A Down wrote of King of Kings "a horse with that name was not destined to carve out his career competing in Bellewstown selling hurdles"

Good horses with bad names, bad horses with good names – an amusing diversion: anyone?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Re: Seveny Four’s triple posts. :wink:

Mill Reef overrated ? Hmmm?

I was also one of the Brigadier Gerard clan back then – and because of this tended not to appreciate the quality and merits of Ian Balding’s little pocket rocket at the time – mainly because of my bias towards the Brigadier.

However, in the cold light of day, I came to my senses. Mill Reef was a terrific horse. Unbeaten over a mile and a half, he became the first horse ever to win the Derby, King George and Arc – and all in the same season. Firm and soft ground, he treated just the same. He was the first horse to win six group ones in a row. He won the Gimcrack by 10 lengths, the Dewhurst by 4, the Eclipse by 4, the King George by 6, and the Prix Ganay by 10 lengths.

Although the Brigadier Gerard was without question the better of the two over a mile – and arguably over a mile and a quarter also, there is no doubt in my mind that Mill Reef was superior over a mile and a half – and would have proved it had they met at that distance. Joe Mercer also conceded as much.

I know, as I sometimes suffer from it too; that prejudice can (and often does) cloud our judgement at times. :)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.