The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Love Triangle

Home Forums Horse Racing The Love Triangle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Thelovetriangle
    Ruby Walsh, Paul Nichollas and Willie Mullins. Has worked great up to now for all parties (particularly Ruby) but I wonder how much longer it will last. Perhaps it will keep going as it is but I wonder will one trainer take a dim view of his selections for Cheltenham in the next couple of weeks. Neither trainer has a retainer on him, basically he picks the one he fancies most but he has some tough (and not so tough) choices to make soon.

At Cheltenham:

Quere Heures vs Natal and Noland<br>Missed That vs Cerium<br>Hedgehunter vs Cornish Rebel<br>Our Ben vs Napolitan<br>Mister High vs Turko<br>Mullins Bumper vs Kicks For Free

And at Aintree Hedgehunter vs the likes of Cornish Rebel,Royal Auclair and Silver Birch.

While some of the decisions has to make here are quite easy…Missed That is an obvious selection. But when the days comes when both trainers have a top class horse/prospect in the same race Ruby could have a tough decision to make particularly when he sees jockeys like David Casey do so well in his absence.

Obviously both trainers will be flexible as both obviously want to keep using Ruby but we have seen in the past serious falls out between trainers and jockeys and this could be one of the messiest.

Like I said might never happen but I have always thought Ruby has been extremely lucky no such major decision has ever been needed to be made. <br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I don’t think there will be too may problems. Noland is well fancied in the SN but I imagine that would be Christian Williams’ ride as he has partnered him all season. I’d also imagine he’ll get the call for Napolitain.

The only one that could give him sleepless nights is his ride in the Gold Cup. Though I don’t think Mullins would be as bothered if he chose CR as Nicholls would be if he chose HH.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

My point was choices have to me made. Agreed there is not too much to worry about at Cheltenham (although both have well fancied bumper horses) while the Grand National might be tricky also. But what I am saying is what happens when they have two real top notchers aimed at the same race. I think given the size and power of the two yards Ruby has been extremely fortunate that all their top horses have been aimed at different races.

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

i think i read somwhere that Liam Heard wud be keepin the ride on kicks for free.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Aidan,

If a gun is put to Ruby’s head to choose a stable I would imagine he would choose Nichols. However, I do feel that Mullins has a very able substitute in the shape of Casey. He is one of the most underated jockeys in the the game IMO.

JohnJ.

bear
    • Total Posts 143

I think I’m right in saying that the three gentlemen in question are exactly that and will always come to a compromise. Ruby being Ruby, both trainers will want him, but both are sensible enough to realise the position the jockey is in and are man enough to accept his decision. The only time a problem can arise is when an owner starts demanding a jockey rides a certain horse. John Hales and The Stewart family have caused ripples in the past and that is why Nicholls now says that Ruby rides all of his if available and where there is a clash ie 2 or more from the Nicholls stable or one of Mullins in the same race other jockeys either in house or McCoy/Fitzgerald will be used.

Gigginstown ManGigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

Willie Mullins will have first call on ruby unless its an outsider anyway Mullins has a better replacement in David Casey than Nicholls in Williams and heard

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Willie Mullins will have first call on ruby unless its an outsider

Are you sure about that?

You suspect that the relationships between the three must already be pretty good. Been going a while now so no reason why it shouldnt continue

• Total Posts 84

Ya . Ruby has no retainer,he sticks with Nicholls and Willie mainly because they have the best horses around.He could walk into almost any stable and get the number one spot.<br>But he is obliged out of respect alone to give willie first preference as willie provided him with a lot of horses early in his career.<br>The relationship between them is great and simple.<br>Ruby rides for willie if he thinks that he has a better chance on his horse,but if willie has an outsider then Ruby will ride Nicholls horse or anyones horse if it had a chance.

• Total Posts 84

Ballytrim-Ruby Walsh, Equus Maximus -David Casey Shady Willow-Davy Condon and Irish Invader -Katie Walsh ,These were the partnerships yesterday evening and will be next wednesday too.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

I see they’re keeping underwraps who will be riding the winner then GM. ;)

aston
    • Total Posts 168

I think these are the only 4 he will be sending!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Quote: from aston on 12:27 pm on Mar. 6, 2006[br]I think these are the only 4 he will be sending!

<br>They best hadn’t be, he’s still got Fred entered up so hopefully he’ll run.

• Total Posts 84

The horse that was second to freds benefit ran yesterday and was brutal. Nina says he isn’t a machine anyway.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Quote: from Gigginstown Man on 2:42 pm on Mar. 6, 2006[br]The horse that was second to freds benefit ran yesterday and was brutal. Nina says he isn’t a machine anyway.

<br>Didn’t see the race Your Right Now ran in but he was stuffed and never mentioned in commentary.  

Fred’s Benefit couldn’t have been more impressive.  Think in terms of the bumper the big point to take out of the weekend is Kimi’s proximity to Wichita Lineman and Peperoni Pete in relation to his debut run behind Kicks For Free and I expect that form to be boosted further tommorow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.