The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Beverley 5F dogleg – why do owners/trainers enter?

Home Forums Horse Racing The Beverley 5F dogleg – why do owners/trainers enter?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kasparov
    • Total Posts 660

I see the 5 furlong handicap at Beverley is so popular that it has been split into two divisions today. However, I am puzzled as to why anyone would want to enter their horse for the most draw-biased track in the country.

One theory of mine is that if your horse is fairly useless and not likely to win a fair race then it might be worth going for Beverley in the hope of a favourable draw. This would suggest that most of the runners in these races are low quality, and Beverley winners might be good laying opportunities in their next race.

Perhaps there are other explanations. Does anyone else know what the motives for entering these races are?

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1414

These aren’t group 1 animals with a plan mapped out for the season they are exposed handicappers and generally as long as they are fit they’ll run. These races at the lower level fill up pretty quick so you have to run while the chance is there.

A glance at the trainers I would imagine geography would play it’s part. The only other 5f handicap race for class 6 horses today is a 0-55 at Brighton. If you’re racing for £1,600 there is little point in bringing a run of the mill handicapper all that way if you are based in Yorkshire.

Besides looking at one of the entries, King Of Swords, I remember him winning at a big price from the old stall one at Beverley before now so I expect his owners have little fear in which draw he gets for instance.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.