The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The best forum?

Home Forums Lounge The best forum?

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Chatroom was fantastic in days of yore AB. Had some great goings-on in there. Quizzes were great.

Since taking over the admin of the forum I can’t seem to get time to spend in there myself (or to make up quizzes) but if someone were to run one on a Sunday night I’d def turn up for it.

I’ll try to get in Friday at 9 for a wee while.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Personally, I don’t think this place comes across as a Gentlemen’s club.

I’ve always found it welcoming. It appears the vast majority of peeps on here are not stupid – surely something to rejoice. (and yes, that is just my opinion blah blah).

I hope that we can have more of a "spicy vibe" about the place and stick withing reasonable guidelines.

Maybe there could be a "Post Idol" competition thread where we all type something for 1 minute and get selected for the next round through to the Grand Final?

Of course, that would require judges, a 1 million jackpot and coverage from the News of the World.

It’s either that or a street party.

My tablets are starting to take effect.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Chatroom was fantastic in days of yore AB. Had some great goings-on in there. Quizzes were great.

Since taking over the admin of the forum I can’t seem to get time to spend in there myself (or to make up quizzes) but if someone were to run one on a Sunday night I’d def turn up for it.

I’ll try to get in Friday at 9 for a wee while.

How does the Chatroom work? :?

When I pop in the nobody around so I leave.

Do I leave messages on it, or converse with other people live.

:mrgreen:

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 409

I wondered how it worked as well………..so i just clicked on it and found myself in there with 2 people I didn’t know from Adam…………

I made some small talk then excused myself……….. :oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve only read the past 3 pages so apologies if I’m echoing what anybody else has said.

I’ve been on and off on this forum for roughly 8 years now and I must say that it’s gotten a lot quieter than it used to be. The losses of Fist and TAPK are disappointing, albeit understandable. I do however filter the Betfair forum everyday to see if Gordon’s posted anything.

The loss of Gerald is very bad news and I have no idea what happened there. Why did he leave?

The reason I post so frequently on the Big Races forum is because I am utterly horse racing obsessed. It is my great passion, my only passion that I can visit on a day to day basis. Everyday I’m thinking of new avenues to explore and research. I remember in the past that somebody would post replies usually within 30 minutes but gone are those days. Perhaps the internet filters at work have finally caught up.

p.s. Zorro’s self-inflicted ban of this forum is still very welcome by myself.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

I’ve only read the past 3 pages so apologies if I’m echoing what anybody else has said.

I’ve been on and off on this forum for roughly 8 years now and I must say that it’s gotten a lot quieter than it used to be. The losses of Fist and TAPK are disappointing, albeit understandable. I do however filter the Betfair forum everyday to see if Gordon’s posted anything.

The loss of Gerald is very bad news and I have no idea what happened there. Why did he leave?

The reason I post so frequently on the Big Races forum is because I am utterly horse racing obsessed. It is my great passion, my only passion that I can visit on a day to day basis. Everyday I’m thinking of new avenues to explore and research. I remember in the past that somebody would post replies usually within 30 minutes but gone are those days. Perhaps the internet filters at work have finally caught up.

p.s. Zorro’s self-inflicted ban of this forum is still very welcome by myself.

Gerald keeps popping up on other blogs. On the grand national blog he popped up mid winter as Me6 and he claims that he calls himself Me (followed by a number which relates to the number of blogs he’s joined.)

Gerald was a real asset on here and unlike TAPK was very humble. Suppose TAPK means well but can be forceful in his opinions.

I wondered how it worked as well………..so i just clicked on it and found myself in there with 2 people I didn’t know from Adam…………

I made some small talk then excused myself……….. :oops:

Had a mate called Adam, wasn’t him was it. :P

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Gerald left in a fit of pique because the forum speed was limiting the amount of posts he could make per hour. The time taken to do anything here during that period was a general concern that has since been rectified.

• Total Posts 1046

Gerald’s been on purple for a while, for those that miss him.

Yours
    The Purple Sheriff 8)

berkoboy
    • Total Posts 33

Yes here speaks a relative newbie. i joined to find out about racing and what comes with it. Maybe I was looking for insider info etc. I started to trawl thru some of the earlier posts, all the bickering between Fist etc, but got bogged down with it. I wanted more of the here and now, which I find in the Big Race discussions and the Systems and Daily play sections. I ask for info, things I’m not sure about and generally get a reply, I may even ask the most mundane questions, but some people will go out of their way to reply.

So I am quite happy. Not sure about the speed thing, we have a mind blowing 2Mb speed over here in Cyprus, ( stop laughing you 24Mb speed freaks)and the site loads ok. Things evolve, forums evolve.

Things were always better in the old days……………..weren’t they?

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Been a member of the forum for a few years (with many breaks along the way) and I find it enjoyable. Good mix of people, excellent tipsters, excellent analysis and some good craic.

I am endeavouring to come on the site more in the foreseeable, and contribute more than I currently do. The site can get blocked by my work servers which is a blow as it only leaves the evening to post but I’ll try and make the time.

And would love to see more people use the chat section, possibly pre-arranged meetings can be held in there on the day before big races/meetings or the day after big race days??

Doug

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7622

I miss the other guys i do but i enjoy reading what other members say about horse racing as well.

One reason i not been as active as before is more down to twitter there are so many people when it comes to horse racing.But i still come here as when i can.

• Total Posts 1904

The best forum? Of course it is, don’t be silly.

If there is a better forum out there, I haven’t seen it. I barely knew one end of a horse from the other when I joined, but I found the natives hereabouts were friendly and over the years I’ve learned a great deal from them (for example, I’m now fairly sure that the end with the teeth is the front).

Long may TRF continue.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

I’ll get some chat-room stuff sorted. Newbie friendly too.

Didn’t know Zorro had self-exiled. He’s an idealist, which I admire, but it’s a frustrating path.

Thanks for all the kind comments re-TRF, much appreciated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5646

HIGH NOON

DO not forsake me oh my darlin
    on this, our wedding day

ee

Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin’,
    Wait; wait alone.
    I do not know what fate awaits me.
    I only know I must be brave.
    For I must face the wrath,
    the wrath the wrath the wrath
    of the bad Eees,
    Or lie a coward, a craven coward;
    Or lie a coward in my shame.

Eee, to be torn ‘twixt love an’ duty.
    S’posin’ I lose my hard fought battle
    and together with it my love oh truffle,
    Look at that big hand move along,
    Nearing high noon awaiting
    the certain finish of meee
    or the Eees.

A light wind sighed through Woodford
    and few bible blessed horseheads
    caught the scent of death mixed in
    with cactus through
    high windows looking down
    on depravitee.

Cooper slowly meanandered
    his large frame
    down death alley his eyes slit
    and searching out the Eees,
    but where were Eee ?

Hopper was normally shooting peas
    in his wife’s garden but no sign.

C c c olossal K k k en was out
    cutting wooden words
    outside the courthouse
    to shape ’em into bullets but
    it was bark bare there.

Razor Razeen the laziest
    gun in ze wild vest
    was hangin out his pinstripes
    but in another dodge.

Wild Bill Winkleman
    who could shoot a man
    up into ten neat parcels
    n replace his teeth
    with spent grey shells
    all within an hour,
    was horsing it through Kansas,
    lookin out for a dirty town
    aka aka Woodford.

Big Bing the ante christ
    was in the future
    and one hand fist
    was shaking it at him
    whilst zipping up
    his old battle breeches.
    Ouch…

What had happened to Woodford ?
    The church bells chimed OUT
    INSANIA
    and Cooper found himself
    caught up the middle of a page
    in a pageant
    as the horses joined in the main
    to shout down
    against the insanitee.

Sweat pouring
    he thought for a brief
    moment in time he was in
    nightmare ville
    then he heard it …
    Technologee is what we need
    or are we killing the seed ?
    and the horseheads
    rose their necks together
    to muffle the bells
    and they screamed out

Hay brothers and sisters
    and long lost Eees
    Let’s rename this old town
    BEEALZEEBEE

• Total Posts 2390

Isn’t it funny how Gamble (he/she who cannot be criticised :P ) only ever post on threads giving the forum a hard time – never on a discussion in the main forum or Lays and Plays or Systems or Big races……….or anything else…

Perhaps Matron was right all along……

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Isn’t it funny how Gamble (he/she who cannot be criticised :P )

And don’t criticize
    What you can’t understand

People talk of situations,
    Read books,

repeat quotations

Draw conclusions on the wall.

Oh Well :?

• Total Posts 2390

Changing times I suppose Drone…there’s no success like failure…. :|

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.