The best forum?

Home Forums Lounge The best forum?

This topic contains 130 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  gamble 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 131 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 17732

Can’t say I know enough about racing or betting to be able to make a valued judgement about any particular forum. least of all this one, but what particularly draws me to sometimes posting here is the immense depth of gardening knowledge exhibited by Drone in the Lounge Section.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes–and ships–and sealing-wax–
    Of cabbages–and kings–
    And why the sea is boiling hot–
    And whether pigs have wings."

"But wait a bit," the Oysters cried,
    "Before we have our chat;
    For some of us are out of breath,
    And all of us are fat!"
    "No hurry!" said the Carpenter.
    They thanked him much for that.

"A loaf of bread," the Walrus said,
    "Is what we chiefly need:
    Pepper and vinegar besides
    Are very good indeed–
    Now if you’re ready, Oysters dear,
    We can begin to feed."

"But not on us!" the Oysters cried,
    Turning a little blue.
    "After such kindness, that would be
    A dismal thing to do!"
    "The night is fine," the Walrus said.
    "Do you admire the view?

"It was so kind of you to come!
    And you are very nice!"
    The Carpenter said nothing but
    "Cut us another slice:
    I wish you were not quite so deaf–
    I’ve had to ask you twice!"

"It seems a shame," the Walrus said,
    "To play them such a trick,
    After we’ve brought them out so far,
    And made them trot so quick!"
    The Carpenter said nothing but
    "The butter’s spread too thick!"

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
    "I deeply sympathize."
    With sobs and tears he sorted out
    Those of the largest size,
    Holding his pocket-handkerchief
    Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
    "You’ve had a pleasant run!
    Shall we be trotting home again?’
    But answer came there none–
    And this was scarcely odd, because
    They’d eaten every one.
    (With acknowledgement to Jaberwocky.Com)

I suppose every Forum has its lurkers, shirkers, workers and fakhirs but, in the passage of time, it’s all but a fleeting moment. Isn’t it?

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 656

This is THE best forum SA.
    There are far more knowledgeable people on this forum than that other place. :wink:
    You can have a debate without the other person taking offence about a difference of opinion.
    And you don’t have to bite your tongue, in feer of getting banned!
    No clique of moderators ganging up on anyone either. :lol:

Thats my point Gingertipster,you were one who would debate in the past along with Reet hard and Armchair Jockey,there’s no debating anymore,none with any passion and belief,you and Reet hard had a great thing going,it was harmless but you both put your views over without the arrogance of others i mention.Reet hard and Armchair Jockey were brilliant in dealing with Fist and TAPK and all contributed regularly with passion and excellent knowledge,i certainly enjoyed reading all. :(

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26229

Whatever rocks your boat OSS. You can have passion without it degenerating in to a bun fight. Much prefer reading Drone and Pinza debating, rather than myself, Reet, Fist and TAPK.

Did try and make a debate in the Lounge about God and co, but because I am someone who "does not understand" (athiest), it was apparently not worth believers wasting their precious energy by answering. As is their perogative.

value is everything
    KINGFISHER
    KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Whatever rocks your boat OSS. You can have passion without it degenerating in to a bun fight. Much prefer reading Drone and Pinza debating, rather than myself, Reet, Fist and TAPK.

Did try and make a debate in the Lounge about God and co, but because I am someone who "does not understand" (athiest), it was apparently not worth believers wasting their precious energy by answering. As is their perogative.

Ginger,perhaps your ‘Values’ were out of your depth discussing God on a racing forum,you stick to vote rigging,you athiest you! :wink: :lol:

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8737

This forum, like most others, was a lot better a few years ago.

I actually think it’s

better than ever

but, then , I WOULD say that!

Things have changed and some regulars have moved on but the traffic (visits/unique users/pageviews/posts) is busier than it has ever been and continues to grow year on year.

That’s quantity, in terms of

quality

the Big Race discussions contain some great debates, the Systems, Daily lays and trends/research sections of the forum contain some real gems and more and more traffic as a result. Yes, Lounge has become less busy but it (the lounge) isn’t everyones cup of tea. I’d rather the racing areas were flourishing and they are.

I think the forum is less clquey than ever and, although it is great to have people from the industry posting, any reduction there (which I put down largely to people using Twitter and writing their own blogs rather than people ‘hardly ever bothering’) has had a positive effect in many ways as it makes the forum more accessible to newcomers.

I’m pretty encouraged by your list Mr Pilsen – if the birthday congrats and the forum clock are at or near the top of your list of reasons why the forum isn’t as good as it was then we’re in great shape.

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3773

I’m just wondering whether to take the 4/6 Frankel for the 2,000 Guineas. It’ll take a real good one to beat him.

As for the forum itself. It has lost its edge – there’s a feel of after the Lord Mayor’s show about it – but I suppose that was only to be expected after Fist and TAPK left.

Every forum needs its characters.

For a place which previously attracted Lydia Hislop and Sean Boyce, it must have something going for it.

I think it all boils down to what kind of forum you want and what it is that keeps you interested.

If and when boredom does set in, I will leave and shut the door quietly behind me.

As of now, I’m quite content, even though my visits are less frequent. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    • Total Posts 17732

Just my view, but while the forum may be busier, it is also moribund, and once regular and informed posters such as Grassy, TDK, David Johnson, Clivex, Carvillshill’ etc are sorely missed
    Dumbing down might make the forum apppeal to the masses, but that never was its raison d’etre – until recently.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

What a ridiculous thread and an insult to most of the people who post on here. If the rest of us are not good enough then why don’t you just PM the people who you deem ‘worthy’. The biggest problem this forum has is people putting themselves on pedestals.

There are plenty of great competitions on this forum, many of which should be better supported. Most, if not all of those quoted ‘names’ don’t even enter. If they are so knowledgeable why not?

I hope most people would not take seriously the idea of valueing any forum by the number of ‘celebrity’ posters.

cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8737

Reet –

Nobody’s ‘dumbing down’ anything. Do you really think we’re deliberately adopting that policy? What evidence would you put forward for that view? Jeez.

Your continual knocks and jibes are what are flipping ‘moribund’.

*takes deep breath, calms down and sticks kettle on*

RedRum77
    RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

Thats a matter of opinion! :lol:

anthonycutt
    anthonycutt
    • Total Posts 984

Maybe the more interesting posters don’t come in here so often because the only thing anyone in here seems to have to talk about is how **** the sport is.

Robert Gibbs
    Participant
    • Total Posts 329

I think Anthony has just made a good point. I had a little moan the other day that the majority of threads on here recently were so negative towards the sport. To that end I will try and post a bit more often and start the odd thread that isn’t negative.

I myself drifted away from the forum for quite some time precisely because anytime I did look in, all I ever saw was a few of the posters some eulogise about dominating 99% of the threads.

I do find it a little amusing that the opening poster only appears to have joined a few months ago, having said it was much better in years gone by, but clearly he/she didn’t feel that compelled to get involved themselves.

As has already been said, show me a better forum for racing……

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26229

I remember when I first joined this forum a few years ago, there were people saying at that time, "it’s not as good a forum as it once was". Obviously when someone joins any forum, everything is fresh, every discussion is new. Yet after many years, members have probably heard a lot of it before. So it might seem as if the forum is not what it was, even though (in practice) it’s even better.

It might be worth Corm asking those respected old members we don’t see these days; why they don’t frequent these pages anymore?

Suspect some of the "look what I backed", bragging; and shouting down other members opinions – which Corm has (for the most part) got rid of – had put a few off….

Even if some people (not I) like to see a fight now and again.

value is everything

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

The forum is a lot slower than it used be. That stops people visiting.

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 656

I do find it a little amusing that the opening poster only appears to have joined a few months ago, having said it was much better in years gone by, but clearly he/she didn’t feel that compelled to get involved themselves.

As has already been said, show me a better forum for racing……

I’m a She by the way Robert,hence the name.I am not for one minute suggesting there is a better racing forum,my point is quite clear,this forum used to be a pleasure to read because the threads were debated with passion,the characters who wrote those threads were just that, TAPK’s notes are still a goldmine of information but he was the main reason i never contributed earlier as he could be quite belittling and intimidating at times.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.