The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tails from the blackcountry II

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Tails from the blackcountry II

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Think the Lennox Stakes is looking the most interesting renewal in years & will also be watching with interest the Coral Racing Club Handicap where I’m hoping to see Walbank return from his absence and show up well giving encouragement for the future.This gelding put up some decent performances as a juvenile before the wheels came off as a 3yo and he was gelded then moved to his present handler.Picked up a nice prize over in Meydan on stable debut,before things once again fell apart when down the field in a Listed contest,however he was found to be lame after the race.So it’s more with a eye to the future he’s mentioned here.I have invested on a filly who’s come into her own since being moved up in trip to 8f.IMPERIAL EXPRESS e/w made a mockery of her mark last time winning in effortless style and career high numbers.However doing a each way bet as this will be a much tougher assignment but still think she showed enough progress to warrant a interest.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Having a small interest on MISS INFORMATION e/w following her success at Chester.While her pedigree may suggest to you sprint trips she quickened well coming from a long way back to win with something in hand over today’s distance putting daylight between herself and the rest.The filly has been handed a lumpy rise in the handicap but recent form still has her in with at least a place in my opinion.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Without such a wide draw,which I apologise for underestimating,I think Miss Information would have gone very close.Ridden from the gates Murphy first tried to get a prominent position,failing to do so the filly dropped near the rear thus having used up a lot of energy he fell in the best available,but having gained 4th from a very unpromising position we at least booked a small e/w profit.
    Today putting forward for your consideration a colt whose first try at the minimum trip quite simply blew all his previous numbers out of the water.Although WE NEVER STOP e/w was successful over the 6f connections had been running him over the Redcar win last time was just in another league taking his performances to a new level.For a late foal the selection started well in maiden & novice contests before perhaps being too highly tried in ‘Sales’ races the second of which at Doncaster he ran with a great deal of credit.Unsure if connections will adapt the same tactics as Redcar but at double digit odds this colt is worth a chance and will continue to progress.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

On more than one occasion I’ve told of connections trying to make a horse something they are not!
    While AMERICAN AFFAIR hasn’t been over raced,13 runs for this 4yo,one could probably say this gelding has to a large extent been kept under wraps but it took until the final run of his 3yo campaign to discover the best trip.Previously contesting a mixture of 6f & 7f races,a single try was made at the minimum on his second outing,before the penny dropped and connections realised what they had on their hands was a out and out 5f sprinter.American Affair has registered all his top SF’s and four of his top five RPR’s at the trip and he still has more to offer.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

While not privy to the riders instructions I did think Mulrennan overplayed the confidence card with Sunday’s selection.I understand that as an investor some may believe I’m ‘talking through my wallet’ but my viewing of the race was that style overcame substance and really cost connections big time,of course you may think different.
    However we move on with a selection in the final race of the day where to my mind THAPA VC e/w is overpriced given the small rise for his recent success.Ridden cold at the rear of the field he made smooth progress to score with somewhat more in hand than the official margin would suggest.There seems to have been a gamble on Great Max who has played in much higher company but a single success to his name,a novice event on racecourse debut,is all that’s to show.Although this will be the lowest contest Great Max has run in the overall profile wouldn’t fill me with confidence and believe the selection can continue his good run of form and gain at least a place.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Ouch!
    I’m of the opinion that the grade of horse contesting the ‘Shergar Cup’ has deteriorated over the years and despite all but one race being class 2 events the calibre of horse entered is in decline.However one with potential to go higher runs in the class 3 Classic.Although it’s this geldings first attempt at 12f I’m prepared to trust the handler that’s he’s capable of getting the extra distance.Today’s selection SOLOMON won as he liked last time out registering decent numbers and think he’s worth following at Ascot to continue the progressive profile he’s forging.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Going for a small each way punt on a filly who to me looks overpriced at the 10/1 on offer at the time of writing.Taken down early at Ayr she came back rather speedily leaving me with the impression that TAYYAR e/w had more in the locker and looks a decent each way shout.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Afraid we are sitting out the afternoon action and waiting for Bath this evening where the two selections being put forward for your consideration are I consider to be somewhat overpriced.First to face the starter will be SCECRET HANDSHEIKH e/w who simply scooted away from his rivals at Brighton leaving them floundering winning eased down.Although given a big rise by the handicapper for that success the record shows his previous win to this was in fact off the same mark he runs off today.Just thirty minutes later the filly GLAMOROUS JOY e/w bids to double her career success tally following a very nice win at Salisbury where she came from last to win readily without being touched with the stick.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Having a small investment on the filly CALAFRIO in Goodwood’s opener this evening who’s been running well of late only tarnished when tried over 7f at Catterick and her stamina gave out close home.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Noted QIRAT when he won here over course & distance back in May.Gave his last two runs a miss as considered the mile trip would stretch his stamina and although on the scene was simply outstayed on each occasion.Stable & jockey are having a good season so no doubts on that score and having run ok on the prevailing surface as a juvenile the easier underfoot ground shouldn’t present new problems today.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Just had a small each way investment on the Hannon horse SERENE SERAPH e/w.At Lingfield earlier this month the filly fulfilled some of her juvenile promise following a near three month absence in taking fashion registering good numbers which give her chances here.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Some intriguing races with smart performers on show and although it’s always nice to go for the high profile contests little fish can be sweet,after all a 2/1 winner of a Group 1 pays the same as a 2/1 success in a lowly grade 6 race.Going to have a small bet on the progressive Fanshawe gelding HEATHCLIFF who was marked down as a ‘eyecatcher’ by RP over this course and distance on return from a early season break.Successful in his last two outings each time registering improved numbers he deserves his chance to take home this good prize.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Not a great many horses being put forward lately,maybe because of the more stringent methods developed and employed as the season progressed?However think we have a real chance of getting back on track with PORTA FORTUNA at Leopardstown although the clash everyone will probably be watching will come later.Today’s selection suffered her only defeat this season when just pipped in the 1,000 Guineas when she was the only one not to have had a prep of those concerned in the finish.Since then the filly looks to have improved winning the Coronation at the Royal meeting in June following up in the Falmouth registering good numbers.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Just a small bet on HENRI MATISSE due to the short price.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Bit disappointed with Henri Matisse but on reflection and this showed again yesterday maybe he’s not the easiest of rides as his antics didn’t make him look the most co-operative of mounts.
    Anyway we move on and looking for the lightly raced 4yo BEYOND WORDS to double her tally following a successful handicap debut at Southwell the back end of last month.Held up in rear came through smoothly turning into the straight and soon put this to bed.The form has since been boosted with the second winning next time out and I think it’s fair to expect this progressive daughter of Frankel to improve a bit more.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Going North of the border for the cup today where I’m reasonably certain we won’t get any downpours and underfoot conditions dramatically changing as occurred at Newbury overnight.However we aren’t aiming for Gold this time around but the Silver Cup where I believe the lightly raced BROOKLYN NINE NINE e/w can be involved at the business end.A very late foaling date in my opinion means we can discard his two juvenile runs although they turned out to be against two good horses first to Squealer,now rated 92,and the subsequent Group 1 winner Shaquille.Successful on his 3yo debut in a Newcastle novice event he’s been rather hit and miss thereafter.Following some promising runs in May of this year he returned to the track after over a three months absence to run a stormer of a race at Ascot earlier this month registering some of his best career numbers and catching the winner hand over fist in the closing stages after being outpaced in the early part of this 5f sprint.The step up back to today’s trip shouldn’t prove any problem and expecting him to at least hit the frame.
    good luck to all

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Sorry we didn’t get a run last weekend I’m assuming it was down to the underfoot conditions but there will be other days for the selection.Today putting forward for your consideration GRANGER BAY who looks to need the kind of underfoot conditions prevailing at Headquarters.Although beaten by the topweight on racecourse debut,Oct 23,the selection lacking experience shaped promisingly and looked as though he would come on for the run.Following two more runs both on faster ground the second his 3yo seasonal bow he made his handicap debut here last month again running with promise without getting his head in front.The penny finally dropped at Ascot earlier this month when he treated his rivals with disdain coming home with his head in his chest and not being asked to do too much to win as he liked.That was a class four event and he’s in better company this afternoon as well as being punished by the handicapper however the money has been coming for him,gone off favourite both previous handicap starts.His progressive profile suggests this brother to the stables dual group one winner Saffron Beach has more to offer so I’m investing that he will be involved at the business end of this contest.
    good luck to all

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 481 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.