The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Stayers Handicap Hurdle 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Stayers Handicap Hurdle 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16453

Entries…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/23/haydock/2020-11-21/769461

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/betfair-best-odds-on-itv-races-stayers-handicap-hurdle/winner

First one to jump out is probably the most obvious one, Honest Vic. Just the manner of his win at Cheltenham the other day, that was enough for me, and I could see why there was talk of him stepping out of handicaps. Looks a big player.

Debestyman also ran well at that Cheltenham Meeting, and he’s of particular interest, considering how many of the yards runners have disappointed recently.

The Jam Man is a very likeable type, and he certainly holds enough entries elsewhere just now. The type to have a big race like this in him, and if he traps here, he’ll surely be bang there.

I really like the horse Justatenner, and was impressed with his attitude at Ayr on Saturday. Possibly vulnerable to less exposed types, but I’d certainly consider him.

Paul Nicholls is off to a flyer this year, and his Cill Anna, who looks very progressive, is impossible to leave out of this.

Imperial Alcazar is a very reliable type, and I’d be very surprised if this isn’t a serious target, and got to be given a live chance.

David Pipe has a few in there, and the most interesting to me is Umbrigado, who ran well in this to finish fifth last year. He’d come here a few pounds lower this time.

Conversely, Ask Ben, who was fourth last year, will come here a few pounds higher, but I’d suspect that this is his main target for the season, and a few extra pounds shouldn’t rule him out.

Lil Rockerfeller and Kalashnikov need no introduction, and at their best, they’re bang there.

I’ll see how the market settles, but at the moment, if I have an early bet, it’ll be….

Honest Vic 12’s

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16453

Took the 25’s for The Jam Man here, but I’ll look to lay off a bit.

(Cashed Out)

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16453

Not quite went as low as I’d hoped for, to lay The Jam Man, so in two minds, about keeping him or cashing out, especially with Main Fact swerving The Greatwood.

I didn’t want to run the risk of him getting scratched on Monday, so took the cash out instead. Just made sense, as there has to be a chance he won’t travel over, or even be declared Monday. If I’m wrong, I’ll happily bet him again.

I thought that Main Fact had a great chance in The Greatwood, but I’d give him a good chance here too. The main sticking point is the trip, but I really do like this horse, and had an early bet, though it won’t be my last, considering the depth of the entries at this stage.

Main Fact 8’s

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16453

The Jam Man stands his ground, and though no sign that he’s going, happier to add him now.

Pleased to see a few on the original shortlist fall away, but Imperial Alcazar still looks an obvious one, while Justatenner and Kalashnikov look big prices.

Main Fact 8’s
    The Jam Man 10’s

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

I’d be tempted by the 6/1 for Imperial Alcazar if i knew he was fit. I thought he’d go chasing which makes me think this might just be a pipe-opener before he heads down that route, although he finally gets the 3 mile trip that he wants and Fergal’s are usually fit first time out.

Wholestone looks overpriced at 18s. Better than a handicapper and i can always forgive a horse a poor run on seasonal reappearance.

Edit: Took 6/1 for Imperial Alcazar as FOB Twitter has pretty much confirmed he runs on Saturday barring a setback.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 153

I like Portrush Ted for this. He’s owned by the McNeill family who have had some nice staying hurdlers down the years. He won a good Grade 2 bumper at Aintree back in 2018, could have been 3/3 over hurdles but for falling at the last in a Pertemps Qualifier at Haydock on bottomless ground last year. Hard to know if he’d have won but the horse who did win who he was giving 4lbs to is the horse who was 3rd behind Imperial Alcazar at Cheltenham last January so he could be similarly well treated to Imperial Alcazar who I must admit looks very well handicapped on what he’s done but is a fraction of the price of Portrush Ted. He needs cut in the ground but its Haydock so its pretty much a given he’ll get some. I got some of the last bits of 20/1 but plenty of 16’s around.

Wholestone does look a big price on his better form and I’d say he’ll come here as Jacob will be at Haydock for Bristol De Mai.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

Imperial Alcazar 6-1 ew

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Maxine O’Sullivan has been booked for The Jam Man, which takes a few pounds off of his back. I’ll see what the price is over the next 2 days, as I’ve missed the boat and he’s 4/1 now

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

Imperial Alcazar at 6-1 looked a really solid bet to me, and I’ve taken 22-1 ew on Wholestone

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16453

Really should stick with my main pair, but in a quieter betting weekend, I’ll add Justatenner EW

The Jam Man 10’s
    Main Fact 8’s
    Justatenner EW 6 Places

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4914

My top three are:

Who Dares Wins – Versatile performer and generally gives his running. Hasn’t hurdled for a while, but for an Alan King runner that wouldn’t put me off.
    The Jam Man – Easy winner last time, but off a much lower chase mark and this is a tough event. Has a chance but plenty short enough.
    Dolphin Square – Really interests me at around 16/1. Lightly raced and steadily progressive, the sort I’d mark down for these contests.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

Added The Jam Man ew 6 places.

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1781

Why is The Jam Man on the drift? 6/1 right now, was 4/1 yesterday.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

Kalashnikov e.w , last season was a bit of a non event but can’t believe he won’t be on the premises and he,s a cracking e.w price

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1318

West To The Bridge strikes me as being a little better than a handicapper and is a big price for a horse in good heart at the moment. A 7lb rise asks for more, but I don’t think it’s beyond him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.