The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

SPOTY 2019 Beeb

Home Forums General Sports SPOTY 2019 Beeb

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 342

Have to say this is far from a foregone conclusion.
    A momentous summer for the Cricket team who will likely win team of the year.
    Ben Stokes is 1/7 and other candidates in the six start at 14s and up to 100/1 which for a poll that is yet to open is crazy.
    To me this is an overpriced free bet I’d compare to a race in a field where the favourite refuses or falls early on.
    In a media led, influenced campaign, candidates are nominated by pop stars, their own sponsors in the sports pages ( Muller) sycophantic friends and footballers who all have their own huge social media following.
    Ben Stokes is not media savvy.
    Dina Asher Smith is certainly an ominous candidate as second favourite.
    Lewis Hamilton another star who divides opinion with a sixth title is also up there at 22/1.
    BBC the press and social media will affect the vote like never before on Sunday.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 275

Whilst many favourites have lost this in the past, I don’t see it happening this year. Asher-Smith and KJT will split both the athletics and female vote. Lewis, rightly or wrongly, gets some bad press so perhaps isn’t popular enough and F1 is buried on pay TV now as well. I just don’t see Sterling winning it. With that said, Wyn Jones is perhaps the best chance of an upset, he’s a god in Wales so if they all pick up the phone for him then he could get up there. He’s got little to no appeal outside though.

Stokes played the innings of his life in the final and then did it all over again six weeks later and a World Cup has to trump the others in my book.

I’ll have my tricast as Stokes – Wyn Jones- Asher-Smith.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 342

Agreed Richard88
    I do think the method of voting means it will be a lot closerthan expected, but Stokes is in the driving seat.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 342

Silly me.
    1 I’m glad I didnt watch the event
    2. Should have known the beeb would pre fix the outcome.
    3 well done Ben Stokes
    4 Stokes flew over for the event from the England tour while runner up Hamilton attended a family event with the runner up trophy and bbc cameras
    5 result announced an hour before polls opened.
    6 right result.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 275

I was half watching it while doing something else and I have to say it has become very tedious. Too much arse licking and not enough clips of the actual sport that happened in the previous year, of which there has been much worth repeating.

I got 2 out of 3 in the right place, not that I assume you could bet on such a thing anyway as there was only winner and finish in the top 3 markets that I saw.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.