The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Should Horseracing be in the Olympics?

Home Forums General Sports Should Horseracing be in the Olympics?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

As far as I can tell, Flat Racing certainly (not sure about NH) would be eligible to become an Olympic sport.

We could run all aged races (3yo+) over a number of distances and then even have relays races at the end, Jockeys would have to pass the you know what (I’m not mentioning it) rather than the baton of course.

I think it would great.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

No

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

No !

Tennis and football, along with a few other sports shouldn’t be allowed either.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Bachelors HallBachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

The idea of a relay race is getting me excited…

How would the teams be organised?
    Would it be the horses who had to be bred in a certain country, the jockeys or both?
    Would the horses be trained by the usual trainers or would there one coach for each participating nation?
    How would the race be organised?
    Would it be a 2m leg followed by 1m4f followed by 1m followed by 6f? Would it be the other way around?
    Perhaps a 3m chase followed by a 2m hurdle followed by 1m2f flat and then a sprint?
    Do the jockeys have to be amateur?

In all fairness, it’s a much more enticing prospect than the Shergar Cup!

Bachelors HallBachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Most importantly, which course would it be held at? Would a new course be built specifically for the event? Would the course then be sold to the BHA or a new renegade body that wanted to compete with same?

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1351

It may have been at the original Olympics (albeit with riders in armor!), but it isn’t so appropriate for the modern games.
    Mainly because like softball and baseball, only a few countries would dominate.

And the equestrian sports that we have now are in danger of elimination. The FEI already kowtowed to the IOC with the introduction of the short-form event (got rid of the roads and tracks and

steeplechase

portion, leading to more unfit horses and injuries). Remember the 2008 events had to be held as far away as Hong Kong. Were it not for London being convenient to good eventing courses and facilities, the equestrian events would absolutely be on the chopping block.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

How about snooker, darts and golf too :lol:

The Olympics has become far too bloated as it is; it should be restricted to what could be termed the ‘Greek Ideal’ of pursuits designed to determine

individual

athletic: prowess and dexterity: running, throwing, fighting, strength, swimming, gymnastics, shooting, archery

In effect, a celebration of those ‘sports’ that developed from necessary endeavour rather than those invented as diversionary entertaining pastimes, most of which involve the trivial pursuit of moving a ball hither and thither

As the horse has featured heavily in mankind’s ‘necessary endeavour’, dressage and show-jumping sit comfortably within the Olympic pantheon, but that’s quite sufficient

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’m guessing that Pompete was tongue in cheek but I’ve actually commentated on a relay horse race.

It was run at Higham point to point course in Essex as part of it’s "Midnight Steeplechase" programme.

Four teams of 3 riders (representing different hunts) had to ride a lap and hand over their w..ps to the next person waiting at the finishing line.

It was very exciting but a bit of a nightmare to commentate on as the changeovers could go very badly wrong if the rider galloped past their next person in the relay and we ended up with horses all over the course including the ones that had already completed their laps.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Technically, I don’t see why not!

But the madness has to cease and a line must be drawn at some point, and it’s here!

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Blimey, lots of question there Bachelors Hall – I hadn’t really thought about the details :D

But here goes:

# Horses to owned/leased by each Racing Authority – 3 for each race distance plus sqaud horses for the relay races.
    # Horse to be either Bred in the Country or have been in training from Yearlings.
    # Jockeys to be Conditional or Amatuers and born in the country.
    # One Trainer of any nationality.
    # Course would have to be an AW type.
    # Race Distances – 5f, 6f, 8f, 10, 12f, 16f (but in metres)
    # Relay Distances – 5f, 10f, 16f each with 4 horses from each country.
    # All races Hands & Heels only :mrgreen:

EmmyKEmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

There are already 3 equestrian diciplines, then the penthlon has SJ no? (not that I’ve ever seen anyone who can actually ride, but there we go), and they seem to be more in the olympic spirit (without trying to sound like a douchecanoe), like horses that riders have had fora while, slowly produced themselves and got to that level. Not that are ridden by some poor sod on min wage 99% of the time then someone else just for the competition.

I don’t realllyyy think it would work? I can’t see where it would fit?

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

As far as I can tell, Flat Racing certainly (not sure about NH) would be eligible to become an Olympic sport.

We could run all aged races (3yo+) over a number of distances and then even have relays races at the end, Jockeys would have to pass the you know what (I’m not mentioning it) rather than the baton of course.

I think it would great.

You’ve planted a seed there, Pete. A delegation with Jacques Rogge among them was spotted doing a recce around Great Leighs only this morning. 8)

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 389

i would also say no to this.

in my opinion the olympics should purely be focused on the human individuals talents, not animals.

yes horse racing is a combined talent, but definitly the horse is required to be more talented than the jockey, so i couldn’t really see the point in it.

if anything should be in the olympics next, i would put darts at the top of my list.

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1351

if anything should be in the olympics next, i would put darts at the top of my list.

My dad says that if you can win while drinking a beer (and not spill it), it isn’t a real sport.

Also darts is completely dominated by the United Kingdom. Of the current top 32 players in the world, 26 are from the UK. Darts is only popular as a competitive sport in the UK. It would be like putting American football in the Olympics.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

I want some of whatever it is Pete is smoking 8)

I can just imagine the owners of Black Caviar, Danedream and Frankel agreeing to a get-together supporting the idea.

The only thing is who pays the $15 million to get them assembled in the same place at the same time fit,well and ready to race :shock:

Uk Racing has it’s own Olympics it’s called the Cheltenham Festival or if you prefer Royal Ascot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.