The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Shirocco

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Last time I said I thought Shirocco would beat Hurricane Run on here I got scorn poured on me from all quarters. I now wonder if everyone still believes HR is better than Shirocco or whether anyone has changed their view?

The race today probably wasn’t run to suit either horse and neither had the kitchensink chucked at them, but given cut in the ground come Arc day I’m expected Shirocco to again beat HR. Deep Impact is the monster to beat on fast ground.

Be interesting to see how Rail Link does later this afternoon too.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I thought it was a nothing race but I think Hurricane Run is a better horse than Shirocco. I thought Hurricane Run travelled well and always looked the likely winner but he needed to be asked more of a question to go by Shirocco than Fallon was prepared to ask this being a trial.

Slow pace wouldn’t have suited either horse but a stronger pace, more vigorous ride and normal luck in running and I’d expect Hurrcane Run to beat Shirocco in the Arc.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’m not happy enough with Hurricane Run’s temperament to take a short price about him. He looked a difficult ride in the King George, which wasn’t an outstanding effort and whilst he may have needed the run, he hadn’t been off as long as Shirocco and seemed to have the chance to go past. If Shirocco is constantly underestimayed by the betting public (whatever happened today Shirocco shouldn’t have been 9/4 with HR odds on) I’ll side with him everytime against Hurricane Run.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>race suited shirrocco more than hr but i wouldnt use todays trial  to make a decision on either of the principals

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Shirocco looks like one of those horses that won’t let anything past. HR like Ouija Board ranged upsides but couldn’t (or wouldn’t) go past and I can see Shirocco repelling all challenges up the straight at Longchamp in the Arc. Interesting also that Shirocco may have needed the race today.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

^ EC I stared at 20/1 at work in Ladbrokees for 2 months and by the time I decided to back it was only 14/1. A live contender but a tad disappointing today I thought.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Remarkable strength in depth of Fabre really. Were Visindar not out for the season, he’d probably have had four viable Arc contenders all for four different owners.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I think it’s between the 3 Fabre horses and the Japanese horse.

Presumably Fallon will be on HR and Soumillon on Shirocco.

Who will ride Rail Link? Will the Japanese bring their own jock for DI or use a European?

Steve

PS Soumillon’s G2-G1-G3 in consecutive races reminded me of the day he won G1-G1-G1 on French guineas day in 2003.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

… and he’s just added a G3 to the sequence.

A good day at the office for the young Belgian .. though, if your office is the weighing room at Longchamp, most days at the office must be pretty good…

Steve

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Deep Impact arrived at Carlon Laffon-Parias’s stable on August 16th. It seems he also tends to miss the break in his races.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>dettori rides rail link

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I don’t LAY horses but if I did I’d lay Deep Impact all day long. He’s a talking horse with a good level of form granted but winning Japanese races is way different to winning the top race in Europe arguably the world. Even his best form gives him a rating of around 125 thats still around 8 pounds behind the best of Hurricane Run’s form.

<br>Lay, lay, lay to quote Big Mac. :biggrin:

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

I’m letting my heart rule my head and going for Deep Impact. If my head takes over, I’d have to say HR had a bit left in the tank today; Fallon didn’t really ride him all out to the finish, and I think he could do it again.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

Look at his form, Market Man. Lincoln beat Ouija Board in the Japan Cup. Deep Impact absolutely thrashes Lincoln every time they meet. That’s just one example. His form this year is incredible. A talking horse is one with no runs on the board. He’s got double centuries all over the place.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

What did everyone make of Dragon Dancer in the Niel. Anyone any idea why he has failed to run to his Derby form in 3 subsequent starts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.