ROYAL ASCOT – COVENTRY STAKES

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2015 ROYAL ASCOT – COVENTRY STAKES

This topic contains 41 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by phil38 phil38 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5703

10/1 Buratino with Hills looks good value to me after that impressive Woodcote win

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

Chances are he beat rubbish very easily. It would be a very poor Coventry if he managed to give them 5 lengths start. The consensus appears to be that the Bolger horse will be very difficult to beat.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Hughes didn’t seem all that enthusiastic about Saturday’s runner up in the Woodcote before the race going by his comments in the RP.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5703

I was impressed with what he did during the race as much as at the end of it. Jock took a pull a couple of times when the horse was keen to barrel on, but Buratino was surprisingly responsive to the restraint, which is impressive in one so young and fast. I’m a wee bit concerned about the trainer’s comments – along the lines of he never quite knew what the horse would consent to produce – but I’m happy to take the chance. 365 only go 5s.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Sergeant Cecil
    Sergeant Cecil
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Paid a huge compliment to King of Rooks, who was impressive in his own right. Log out Island is my fancy, if he runs.

Always expect the unexpected.

The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8706

10/1 Buratino with Hills looks good value to me after that impressive Woodcote win

Agreed,I took the 10/1 aswell Joe,funnily enough somebody on here told me the stats were against him winning the Woodcote! :unsure:

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5703

Just looking back through Buratino’s races. He looks a keen and enthusiastic horse for whom the penny is beginning to drop. I suspect Buick’s excellent hands have something to do with it. He takes a wee bit of stoking up, showing a noticeable flat spot, but once the gear change clicks in he has an unusually potent burst of speed. At Epsom, there were signs he’s becoming amenable to that turn of foot being effectively harnessed. A stiff, fast run 6 should suit well

I’ve now had two ante-post bets at Royal Ascot and really must be careful not to slip back into this Flat caper after so long away :)

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I’ve now had two ante-post bets at Royal Ascot and really must be careful not to slip back into this Flat caper after so long away :)

We’ll keep your love of the flat a secret from your pal Pitman, don’t worry……..

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8706

Just looking back through Buratino’s races. He looks a keen and enthusiastic horse for whom the penny is beginning to drop. I suspect Buick’s excellent hands have something to do with it. He takes a wee bit of stoking up, showing a noticeable flat spot, but once the gear change clicks in he has an unusually potent burst of speed. At Epsom, there were signs he’s becoming amenable to that turn of foot being effectively harnessed. A stiff, fast run 6 should suit well

My first impression was he’s a Chesham horse Joe but I see all his entries are over 6f..Relief!

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1664

One winner and one winner only of this. How anyone would dare oppose the favourite and future Guineas winner is beyond me :scratch:

Round one of the 80/1 Round Two Coventry/Guineas double starts here B-)

*DING DING*

@TomBoardman87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

I think Round two seems a decent horse but his price seems more on the trainer’s comments than what he’s actually achieved on the racetrack. Dawn Approach had more of the wow factor going into his Coventry for me, he won at 7-2 but Round two is already considerably shorter than that.

Obviously he could win but at the likely price I’d be looking at something else.

Sergeant Cecil
    Sergeant Cecil
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Log Out Island for me. Thrashed Buratino on his debut by 5 lengths, since snapped up by Godolphin and been prepared for this race. 7/1.

Always expect the unexpected.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Log Out Island for me. Thrashed Buratino on his debut by 5 lengths, since snapped up by Godolphin and been prepared for this race. 7/1.

Agreed. Buratino may have improved but he’s had five runs and the best top speed he’s put up is 73, Log out Island one run and top speed of 90. Course form as well. Not rocket science is it. Buratino did look visually impressive on Saturday but my best guess was he beat trees.

I think Nick Mordin had a system going back a few years which was one of his better ones, I can’t recall what it was exactly but I think it was something like almost every Coventry winner has achieved a top speed rating and racing post rating of 90 or above on it’s 1st or second run

which obviously brings in the favourite and Log out island. Mind you I guess there’s a strong possibility Log out island might go for the Norfolk?

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 584

Air force Blue must come into calculations especially if it’s good or better ground. Beat rock away valley on debut who then bolted up next run. Argentero also looks a solid horse and should be on the premises if he turns up next week. There is a lot of decent irish 2yos around and obviously king of rooks must be considered.

seethesun
    Participant
    • Total Posts 113

Question for the historians. Has a horse even won the Coventry on debut ?

I have a friend of a friend who is linked to Margeson yard as a former owner. Apparently, his horse Any Guest who is yet to run is meant to be extremely useful.

Margeson has told him to back it each way for 2016 Guineas and is comfortably the best horse he has had.

Highly unlikely it can win this on debut, but this horse is the apple of his eye by all accounts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.