The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post Gripes

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post Gripes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

The Racng Post website has been revamped somewhat to make it interactive with its user. You can put notes in, ratings for the horses and tissues that you have designed and then compare it with bookies’ prices. A big improvement in my opinion BUT I have a feeling it won’t be free for long. (Recommended overround is 1.5% per runner btw on RP Website)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

FSL

Just seen this myself, though it doesn’t appear to be fully operational yet.<br> Looks a brilliant addition to what is already a most useful site, the only reservation being the "currently a free service?".<br>Certainly should make life easier for the serious punter.:)  

carlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi

thanks for flagging this up, I’ll have a look.  Hopefully I will not be scratching my head.

bye<br>

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

"currently a free service" means that they want to get you using it before they then start charging you for something that can easily be achieved using Word and Excel LOL<br>It may be handy, but I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium for it.  I don’t know where they get off on charging for everything that can possibly be charged for :o <br>I do like the look of the new site, but it still annoys me having to go back to the home page to log out.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Cue a post from Racing Daily moaning about the cost of something. Are you the sort of bloke that wears 6 jumpers in winter to save having the heating on?

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

No dj.  I’m not a skinflint.  If you are not interested in saving money, then that is up to you.  But not everyone has money to burn.<br>I’m simply saying that the RP are, by FSL’s own admission, preparing to charge for something that he already achieves using Microsoft Office.  Why would anyone want to pay for that?  Open Office is available copletely free for non-m$ users.  The RP already charges for every bloody thing bar the kitchen sink.<br>A lot of people would think that providing a service to their already paying customers would come at a premium to taking more of their money for something trivial like a notepad facility and an over-round calculator.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t use the RP site much and certainly not on a daily basis. If they do go subscription I would imagine quite a few folk won’t pay for it, like me for example.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I think from my point of view its very much a how much? question. I’d pay a small fee for access but if they think they can rip us off then I’ll just not bother, which wouldn’t be ideal but I’m not going to pay over the odds just because we can type our own notes in.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Quote: from Grasshopper on 4:24 pm on Nov. 2, 2006[br]A bit unfair that, RD.

The RP does not (yet) charge for internet access to it’s form database, which is vastly, vastly superior to anything else which is both free and online.

They’ll have us all by the short-and-curlies when they determine to start charging for that function, though slumming it over at the Sporting Life form-d/b is always an option, I suppose.

Generally though, the RP need to have a word with themselves, as far as their web-site goes.

They are starting to look like bloodsuckers, which wouldn’t be so bad, if they didn’t charge £1.40 for a paper that’s good for little more than wrapping-up fish and chips.

<br>(Edited by Grasshopper at 4:25 pm on Nov. 2, 2006)<br>

Don’t get me wrong, I use the RP site and find it useful in the extreme.  My only criticism of the site itself is, like I said, the misnomer of having to return to index.htm to log out.<br>My grouchiness (yeah, I admit that I can be a grouchy old bastage sometimes) ;)  stems from the fact that the online edition of the RP costs more than the hard copy.  You need to pay around £2.00 to get the whole rag as seperate downloads of form, results, editorial, ratings etc.  Complete ‘ass on it’s head’ approach as a download costs zilch to produce, compared to a newspaper.  Then you have the 20p a throw to watch a 15sec clip of the end of a single race, a limited amount of times.<br>Their database is good, but don’t be too sure that the next thing will not be a pay per view model for logging in.  <br>If you are a small time punter who is looking to make a small profit on the day, you simply have to take account of how much it costs to research the game.  When that cost makes it impossible to break even in the long term, then you have to ask if it’s worth it.  That’s all i’m ultimately saying.  Just like if a newsagent’s profits were swallowed up, plus more, by the rates.  He would never manage to stay in business.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Quote: from FlatSeasonLover on 11:25 am on Nov. 2, 2006[br]The Racng Post website has been revamped somewhat to make it interactive with its user. <br>

A useful and welcome new function for some no doubt but annoying personally as the new format will necessitate re-jigging my spreadsheet in order to continue importing the cards in the format I’ve grown accustomed too. Shifting the RPR’s a few columns to the right is a real punch in the privates; they sat neatly next to the analagous Timeform ratings until now

Means wasting a few valuable hours, as was the case when they changed the Results format.

Main problem is altering the spreadsheet without buggering up the existing historical data. Can always archive and start afresh I suppose but not the ideal solution.

Loth to knock the RP site as it’s a terrific FREE (thus far) resource, hence I rarely buy the paper. No wish to read articles, editorial and chat anyway, with the exception of Tony Morris’s breeding blurb.

<br>

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

The problem with putting your own info into the website when it’s free means that they will effectively have you over a barrel when it comes to charging.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8801

I think they’d be better off charging a monthly subscription (say, a tenner) which gave you access to everything rather than charging for each download individually.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from cormack15 on 9:31 pm on Nov. 2, 2006[br]I think they’d be better off charging a monthly subscription (say, a tenner) which gave you access to everything rather than charging for each download individually.

That’s what was suggested about the video form thingy but look what happened there!

jt3d3b
    • Total Posts 3

What other form guide does everyone use if not the RP. Up until very recently I used Superform online but now switched to the RP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.