The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix Moulin 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Prix Moulin 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 331

Persian king was backed down from 12/1 outsider this morning.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

What happened to the ground? They called it soft on sky racing?!! If that was the case Siskin never had a chance.

Circus Maximus looks a little bit gone this season now to me

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10643

My comment from Meydan Thursdays thread …
    Ryan Moore on Circus Maximus must have thought he was in The Abbaye the way he went belting off and only Persian King and his more experienced French jockey had the sense to go with him I thought it was a spoiler technique that came back to hit them in the face and they needn’t have bothered because sadly Pinatubo was in no mood for racing today, the handlers had to literally lift him into the stalls he had his feet planted so firmly in the ground..Siskin just folded in the last furlong .. disappointing for his followers.

Well done to Graham (BigG) who backed Persian King and anyone else on here who backed him. :good:
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 331

Frenchy the ground was good from the 2.50 race. The time was fast by 0.67s

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

No idea why they called it soft on Sky then. Ultimately still GS most of the day it didn’t dry up enough to really get us excited about Siskins chances. Didn’t really see what he could do sadly. I would not be backing him again this year or in America though, was getting upset in the stalls again. Probably cost us the EW place. Worrying for Pinatubo fans that performance just didn’t look like he wanted to race at all

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 344

Fabre talking about the Arc. Love the way he doesn’t obsess about pigeon holing his horses to specific distances.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10643

I thought Pinatubo ran best of them all at the finish Frenchy. He didn’t really seem to get into any sort of rythmn until the last furlong and seemed to be motoring but too late.
    What more could he do when Ryan Moore had gone belting off like he was on Battaash.
    Boudot on Persian King had the sense to keep close and let Circus Maximus gradually run out of steam leaving him with the lead and then push for home..job done. :good:

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

That’s what I mean really Jac, he didn’t race at all until it was all over and he didn’t want to go in the stalls at all. He was impressive again over the last furlong but we know he has that in his locker. But as a complete horse he’s looking short now. I’d love to see him trained to just sprint and see what he can do at the champions sprint or something.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10643

Yes agreed frenchy I was sitting there waiting for wings to sprout but they never appeared.. :wacko:

Maybe Charlie Appleby will try him at a shorter distance now would also love to see that.. :good:

I almost thought they were going to pull him out at one stage but six hefty stall handlers made sure he lined up..
    Putting my Desmond Morris Horsewatching hat on..he could have been sulking about that because he certainly wasn’t going for Doyle until the end.. ;-)

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 344

He has just absolutely hammered some top drawer milers, and failed to reel in an enterprisingly ridden winner, whom is also a classic winner.

Can’t really agree with suggestions a drastic change of plan to sprinting is required.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2195

My feelings on the race…

I backed Pinatubo and dont think he had any excuses today. I dont believe that he didnt want to race or only got going too late. He has beaten Circus Maximus 6 lengths and Circus Maximus and Siskin ran to their Sussex Stakes form. If Persian werent there we’d all be saying Pinatubo was back to his brilliant best. And im not convinced hes a sprinter either. 7f or 1m he is fine. The winner did well to keep going having been so close to the pace, he didnt fold as the chaser thought he would. Played again Doyle mightve sat closer but he wouldnt have had the same acceleration at the end as more use would have been made of him and we will never know for definite if he wouldve got past anyway. Today Persian King was hot.

TongeTonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1276

The time was fast by 0.67s

The time for every other race on the card was slow though. I think we might have seen a great performance. Fabre has always rated Persian King and I get the feeling he’s been mostly disappointed, albeit the horse has had a decent enough career. Arc might be a furlong or two too far but fair play to them for considering it. I reckon that Pinatubo would be a better racehorse if he was gelded but that isn’t going to happen so they’ll just have to learn how to keep him sweet (if he ever races again). Even so, he ran a fine race, just found one too good on the day.

Great day for Kingman too. What a sire he’s turning out to be!

patriot1patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

A fascinating race which leaves almost as many questions as there were pre race.

For me the greater course experience of the winning jockey played a big part. But considering the first two went off quick you have to say Persian King really finished his race off well. The Arc is a tantalising prospect.

As for Pinatubo we still don’t know if he is the next superstar of the mile division or just a very smart horse. I don’t see why he should be going down in trip.

I could see Circus Maximus bouncing back next time out and is Siskin could relax pre race then he could do likewise.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2153

With the way breeding emphasis has changed from producing middle distance horse to 8-10f horses kingman will likely become the defining sire of the next decade

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

I think he still has plenty to prove as a sire myself he’s only really produced Palace Pier and Persian King at Group 1 level and so many of his haven’t followed through on their early promise – King Of Comedy, Headman, Fox Chairman, Sangarius… the list is literally endless.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.