The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix du Jockey Club 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Prix du Jockey Club 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Entries are in.

1 alwaary usa m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 000 HAMDAN AL MAKTOUM J. GOSDEN 35.435
    2 le havre (ire) m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 480 GERARD AUGUSTIN-NORMAND JC. ROUGET (S) 146.940
    3 silver frost (ire) m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 505 JOHN-DAWSON COTTON Y.DE NICOLAY 420.735
    4 SET SAIL IRE M.PS. 3 ans 58 000 D.SMITH/M.TABOR/MME J.MAGNIER AP. O’BRIEN 35.565
    5 drumbeat ire m.ps. 3 ans P1 58 505 D.SMITH/MME J.MAGNIER/M.TABOR AP. O’BRIEN 179.602
    6 topclas m.ps. 3 ans P1 58 485 MICHEL DEBEUSSCHER P. DEMERCASTEL 81.400
    7 vesuve (ire) m.ps. 3 ans P1 58 475 ECURIE WILDENSTEIN E. LELLOUCHE 52.900
    8 wajir m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 500 ECURIE WILDENSTEIN E. LELLOUCHE 150.050
    9 gallilei m.ps. 3 ans P1 58 490 FAMILLE MOUSSAC A.DE ROYER DUPRE 41.350
    10 guest ville m.ps. 3 ans P1 58 485 GROWTHWORK S.A.R.L. MLLE SV. TARROU (S) 51.550
    11 zafisio ire m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 505 H. DOWNS/D. LOONEY R. CURTIS 228.222
    12 fuisse m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 485 ALEC HEAD MME C. HEAD-MAAREK 94.025
    13 GLAMSTAR M.PS. 3 ans 58 460 GERARD LABOUREAU JC. ROUGET (S) 46.500
    14 westphalia ire m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 000 M.TABOR/D.SMITH/MME J.MAGNIER AP. O’BRIEN 359.206
    15 malibu bay usa m.ps. 3 ans P1 58 000 MME MAGNIER/M.TABOR/D.SMITH AP. O’BRIEN 19.097
    16 calvados blues m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 480 MALCOLM PARRISH P. DEMERCASTEL 99.800
    17 feels all right ire m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 500 PEGASUS FARMS LTD E. LIBAUD 96.875
    18 crowded house gb m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 000 REDDAM/MME BURRELL/HARVEY BJ. MEEHAN 442.904
    19 sea the stars ire m.ps. 3 ans P2 58 000 CHRISTOPHER TSUI J. OXX 350.021

Interesting to see Crowded House + Sea The Stars still in there. Presumably that’s simply down to the ground.

The first 3 from the Poulains re-oppose, but interesting to see Naaqoos gone. This looked like his best chance of winning a 3yo classic.

Westphalia’s obviously the #1 Ballydoyle contender, but certainly a major lack of good French candidates. I’d be surprised if this shortened Derby still exists by 2011. It really hasn’t benefitted it at all and all the mid-distance horses just take in another race before the Grand Prix de Paris.

Parthenon’s due to be supplemented by Sheikh Mohammed tomorrow to take the entries up to a round 20, but I expect a maximum of 18 will go to post.

Blue Square’s opened up a market;

Blue Square: 5-2 Silver Frost, 9-2 Feels All Right, 5 Wajir, 7 Fuisse, Westphalia, 8 Le Havre, 14 Parthenon, Zafisio, 16 Alwaary, Drumbeat, 20 bar

For me, Feels All Right is the winner with Alwaary as a good place prospect.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

My opinion, and it is just my opinion, is that Westphalia has been crying out for 10f; he reminds me a lot of Duke of Marmalade. Not sure the track will suit but at 7/1 he makes a cracking e/w bet in my book. He has only finished out of the places once on bottomless ground in 9 runs (Group company for 6 of those runs, another being a listed race he won).

I have little grasp of the french form however, so I wouldn’t be having anything other than a small bet.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

I cannot wait for this. Last years renewal was fantastic with Vision D’Etat maintaining his unbeaten record by a short margin from Famous Name.

Look what came out of that race; Even the impressive Montmartre was down the field that day. Sadly he will never get his chance in the Arc having been packed off to stud!

Meehan is supposedly seriously considering this for Crowded House. He wants to make the right choice for the horses assignment this weekend and is keeping both options open. Sea The Stars is in there incase the ground at Epsom comes up really soft.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Zafisio & Malibu Bay at the moment but I’ll wait for jockey bookings etc before picking one out.

However, it’d take a very brave punter to write off Le Harve with the kind of form Lemaire and Rouget are in.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Gosh – no Aga Khan, no Khalid Abdullah, no Wertheimer Bros, no Sheikh Mohammed/Godolphin, no Niarchos family.

Even if the Grand Prix de Paris is in the process of eclipsing this as the main race for 3yo colts, you’d think they’d still be using this as the prep race.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Oh they will be Gerald :wink:

Godolphin bought a really decent horse last week, Parthenon, who they’ll be supplementing for this.

He stays further and will front run. Just trying to work out whether thats a good thing here or not

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

They need to push this race back to July. We know the French 3YOs are late bloomers so, they should be catered for accordingly.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Problem is that the French Derby is scheduled so that the winner can run in the Irish equivalent. They should just put it back to 12f and be done with it. It’s worked well with the fillies’ race for many years but it’s just not working for the colts.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

They need to push this race back to July. We know the French 3YOs are late bloomers so, they should be catered for accordingly.

No, the Grand Prix de Paris is now scheduled to be held each year on Bastille Day. They just need to massively increase the prize money of the GPdP.

edit: People need to stop referring to the Prix du Jockey-Club as the French Derby, and instead apply that term to the GPdP.

This is what I wrote in Arsene’s thread in Daily Lays & Plays, but no one replied to it – not even Arsene.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Prob been banned.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Aga Khan hot-pot Behestram has been supplemented

This rate just keeps on hotting up

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

YES. Delighted with that. Now we can burst this silly bubble. That horse will be a 2-miler.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

YES. Delighted with that. Now we can burst this silly bubble. That horse will be a 2-miler.

Are there any other Aga Khan colts breaking through this year that you know of, Z?

I must admit I havent seen much of this Behestram as of yet but am really intregued to see how he runs on Sunday. Just adds an extra bit of interest on what is a really top class weekend for racing across the world.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

They have a horse called Siyouni which was going to run in the Norfolk but they’ve changed their minds about that. He’s got a half-brother to my namesake, by Azamour, currently unnamed.

He’s got another horse in the French Derby, Gallilei. Came 3rd to Beheshtam in the Listed race LTO. Only 3 career starts, could be a nice GP de Paris horse.

Anyway we rarely see French middle-distance horses in big 2yo prizes. I’ll take a look after this weekend and see what’s what on the trends.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As winner of 6 of his 9 races, and comfortable winner of the Poulains lto, Silver Frost has to be respected, but nothing in his form suggests that he’s likely to improve for the extra distance, and he looks eminently beatable.
    Behestham has been supplemented on the strength of his 2 from 2 record, but everything about him shouts stamina and, without his own pacemaker, will surely have to ensure a proper test throughout to have any chance adding to his tally on this drop back in trip.
    Feels All Right isn’t easy to evaluate, having won 2 small field races, against not much opposition, since his 3rd to Fame And Glory over this trip as a 2yo, though the proximity of both Drumbeat and Age Of Aquarius suggest it isn’t top class form.
    Westphalia was 3rd behind Silver Frost in the Poulains, beaten almost 3l but, having started a promising run, conceded about 5l to the winner (who had a clear run down the outside) by virtue of his momentum being halted by the stragglers, and was certainly finishing as well as the winner. Although his breeding might suggest otherwise, his form indicates he’ll improve again for the step up in trip, and at 9/1, he looks a solid win and place bet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I wonder how Soumillon is feeling about Beheshtam being supplimented for this when he would have been riding Silver Frost otherwise.

The former apparantly put up an excellent performace on his first ever run but that was over 13f on soft ground. He then won in a tight finish at Lonchamp on g/s over 12f. It seems an odd way to be going: 10f on good ground.

If anything Silver Frost ran his best race to date when he encounterd good ground for the first time om his most recent outing.

He looks the best horse in the race and 4/1 looks very fair price as he must have a good chance of getting the trip on this going.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Beheshtam will be short of an adequate sprint to test any of the other protagonists. An ideal candidate for the Grand Prix de Paris, but he’s too short of a price dropping back in distance.

Le Havre was very good in the Poulains – don’t think he possessed the speed for a mile Group 1 so 1m2f puts him in the zone. Wins over Naaqoos and Feels All Right prove he is class capable.

Wajir would be a strong chance if the going softened considerably. Lellouche might have been pinning hopes on a bottomless track.

Fuisse’s six length win at Maisons-Laffite – ahead of a horse beaten only 2 1/4 by Le Havre a month prior – brings him into high consideration. Also a half-brother to Full Of Gold, an ’08 contender.

There’s not enough form to validate Malibu Bay’s claims (but I’m wary of him), and I think Westphalia’s reached his ceiling and would need soft ground to be a legitimate winning chance.

Key fact: the last three winners of the Prix du Jockey-Club won their previous (prep) race at Chantilly.

Calvados Blues hasn’t risen in form by winning the Prix de Guiche. Feels All Right won the Prix du Suresnes soundly and beat a solid horse in Topclas (albeit not improving ahead of him from their previous outing at Saint-Cloud in late March). He could probably contest favouritism if not for the horrible draw.

1. Le Havre – 2. Fuisse – 3. Feels All Right

Bet – WIN Le Havre @ 12/1 (Ladbrokes)
    Bet – E-W Malibu Bay @ 50/1 (Paddy Power)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Funny you mention the Guiche form Miles as there’s a horse at a big price I fancy may run better than expected.

Vesuve – interesting one on paper as he didn’t have a steller 2yo career but connections saw fit to try him Prix Des Chenese when still a maiden, there were worse group races run last year in terms of quality with the beaten horses (Vesuve was last of the six) including subsequent G3 winner and carnival runner Naval Officer, group placed Topclas and top hurdler Temple Lord. First time out this year he took a 10.5f race beating subsequent dual scorers Melisos and Sable Des Dunes whilst on his next start he beat Gallilei by 2 lengths. Gallilei then went on to run strong fancy Beheshtem to a length (if I’ve done my working out correctly) in a 12f listed race at the end of last month. Not sure what running tactics are likely to be employed but feel if they intend using Vesuve purely as a pacemaker, particularly with the Coolmore horses involved in the race too then they’d be wasting a decent opportunity for the horse.
    66/1 is IMO far too big

Martin

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.