Pot Luck 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

New jumps season, new thread.
    Hoping not to become too consistent ie for it to be a losing one ;-)

First bet going to be in the first race at my local track, Down Royal and am going to unexcitingly go with the favourite Calicojack at an unexciting evens.

Most interesting race for me here is the beginners chase and I’m with Farclas, hoping he’ll take a liking to fences. Tigris River also interesting though I think JOB’s chasers take a spin or two more to get into it compared with Gordon’s.

Might back another couple on the course if I go. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Elliot spring out of the traps for the new season and he always does well here so I’ll be watching out for his horses.

At Warwick, I’m going to prove I never learn and back a horse who is a) a Giggi castoff, b) a drifter and c) in a race with a Skelton horse coming back to form..again at the start of a new season when the brothers will no doubt want to slap as many winners on the board as quickly as possible, especially as Harry has designs on the jockeys’ championship. I just like Statistical and think he jumps well. Of course you have to wonder why they got rid of him, and perhaps he doesn’t find a lot for pressure but we’ll see.

2.10 Down Royal Calicojack evs 1pt win
    3.50 Warwick Statistical 12-1 0.5pt EW
    3.55 Down Royal Farclas evs 1pt win

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

+1
    Pts staked:3

Had a good day at Down Royal on Monday. Parked up in the middle of the course just before first race and so had a wait to cross the course to get in, but the crossover point is actually a good viewing spot right near the final hurdle. The eventual 2nd (Indian Admiral, who started on the Flat but looks like a NH horse to me, is only 4yo and split race fit hurdlers after a layoff on his first start over timber…hmmm) was travelling very well but Calicojack just prevailed to get me off to a good start.
    Didn’t have a clue about the handicap hurdle so left it to the junior racing fan, who picked the winner immediately but then insisted on pulling off her shoes and rolling down the grassy slope above the paddock for so long that I didn’t have time to get a bet on.
    Picked the wrong Elliot horse- Ravenhill in the 3m hurdle but I think he will win before too long. I got the impression that there wasn’t much early pace and I think a stronger run race, and a run under his belt will suit. Saddle slipped over the last and he jinked quite markedly- would have finished closer but for this. Going to watch out for him.
    Daughter and I both liked the look of Farclas in the paddock (I suspect, like our own Triptych, she may be partial to greys and white faces) so we backed him on course despite the drift from the morning and got our Ravenhill money back and more. He jumped novicey but happily, sans blinkers, and finished well. Hurdles can get stuffed, he has found his calling over fences.
    Immediately chucked our profits away on Dakota Moirette, so having broken even for the day we watched the hunter chase without a bet then left before the bumper (a good job as I would have picked 2 losers).

Statistical was a loser for me across the water. Lesson: I really must avoid ex Giggi horses. They get unshipped for a reason.

On to Tipperary today:
    Commandant may only have one chase under his belt but I really like the look of him. He has a slightly high head carriage but jumped very well for his win at Wexford and should like the ground.

Another Presenting, Brahma Bull, debuts over fences today. He is a fine looking big horse and I liked his bumper wins. Trip should suit well. I’ll have my eye on Western Honour as well.

6.40 Tipp Commandant 7-2 1pt win
    7.10 Tipp Brahma Bull 11-8 1pt win

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

+1.5
    Pts staked:5

Rounded up as Brahma Bull drifted a bit

Commandant jumped a bit too carefully and nearly pitched at the 2nd. Just too much of an ask against more experienced handicappers.

Brahma Bull did not like being restrained and Hayes earned his riding fee alright. Plenty of scope for improvement. Western Honour abysmal, something amiss?

Downpatrick tomorrow and 2 bets: a tentative one on Amadeus who might do better for better ground, a tongue tie and a drop in trip, and a more confident one on Think Positive, who finished lame in the Land Rover bumper a year ago so I’m ignoring that run.
    If I go to the meeting I’ll look out for Gavin Cromwell’s Jeremy horses Walking in Memphis and Jeremy’s Delight. I think some of that sire’s horses take a few runs to get going.

5.55 D’pt Amadeus 10-1 0.5pt win
    8.25 D’pt Think Positive 7-4 1pt win

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16235

Good start Grass, well done, hopefully more to come.

Look forward to chewing over a few selections with you this summer.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

+1
    Pts staked 6.5

Thanks VtC. Looking forward to a summer of jumping :-)
    Amadeus bombed so will leave him alone. Think Positive NR.
    Walking in Memphis ran well; Gavin Cromwell seems to like the Jeremys (looking for the next Jer’s Girl?)

Flat bet for me today. JOB saod they want to give Buckhurst a chance of being a Derby horse so he should get a good thorough spin in the Derrinstown. Did well on maiden outing and bred for extra trip. B365 offering 8-1 1/4 odds 3 places which is quite good. I know the win part is likely wasted but I think it’s worth it for the extra place in a 7 runner race, rather than betting place only or the SF with Broome 1st.

3.25 Leo Buckhurst 8-1 0.5pt EW 3pl

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

Pts staked 7.5

Well that’s me back to zero and back in my box as far as Flat bets are concerned…till the next time!
    A few bets at beautiful Killarney….I can always look at the scenery even if the horses don’t win.

Killarney
    5.05 Abyssinian 15/8 1pt w
    5.40 Campeador 2/1 1pt w
    6.10 Dorans River 25/1 0.5pts ew
    7.10 Peregrine Run 10/11 1pt w
    8.40 Baboin 11/10 1pt w

Abyssian vg form on the flat
    Campeador the best in his race as long as over issue when ran 1mo ago. Similarly bred Demi Sang ran in Close Brothers (albeit pulled up)- think trip ok
    Dorans River- always just liked him
    Peregrine- gets his ground, can’t desert him!
    Baboin- best form and in best hands

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

Pts staked 12.5

Well the last two spared my blushes but not by much. Won’t be backing Campeador till he finishes out a race well.
    Don’t know about Peregrine Run. Missed the race but he should have won more comfortably…trainer said the ground was a bit dead (polite way of suggesting overwatered) but hmm the horse should not need that much help.

A random long one at Tramore this afternoon, from a stable whose mares I like to follow a bit.

3.05 Tramore Petite Gina 33-1 0.5 pt EW
    (40s with some firms that I don’t have accounts with).

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

Pts staked 13.5

Farclas was a bit green at Down Royal and hung left a bit for a lot of the time, but straightened up at the business end and has Davy Russell for company tomorrow.

7.45 Pun Farclas 10/11 3pts win

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

+0.5
    Pts staked 16.5

Farclas is my new favourite summer horse :good: Didn’t hang as much and I like the way he gets down to work at the end.

Another Elliott horse tonight; Allee Bleue used to be decent for Philip Hobbs over hurdles, then gained his chase mark when that yard was still slightly in the post viral doldrums. Don’t know how he will get on with the summer ground but worth a go. Of the other runners: I love Jaime Sommers but they raced the lights out of her last year and the year before. Will just watch her today.

Kil 7.55 Allee Bleue 10-1 0.5pt ew

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

+1
    Pts staked 17.5

Happy enough with that- especially as he drifted to 16s and I got a better return- although he looks more a showjumper than a chaser at times.

Thecraicisninety is a fine big horse. Being by Presenting and a half brother to Sky Pirate, I wonder if they will step him up to 3 miles. A more galloping track might suit better too. Elliot’s mare stuck on very well.

• Total Posts 16235

Nice each way Grass.

Agree about Jaime Sommers, really excited about her two years back, but they’ve definitely overran her.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

Want to watch all my favourite Mullins hurdlers in action today so

4.00 Autueil Benie des Dieux 7-2 1pt win PP

The local mare is obviously a star at the track but she may be pushed a bit harder than last year to beat Benie.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2571

+4.5
    Pts staked 17.5

An odd race. Starter ultra relaxed, let them away like he was starting a maiden race in Ireland somewhere and they went a leisurely canter for the first couple of miles.
    WD Benie.
    Will be looking out for Bapaume in the 2.5m race he won last year- that’s his trip, I think.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2038

Wd GAG. Downpatrick tomorrow actually looks ok!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

• Total Posts 16235

Good start continues Grass, played. In hindsight she was some price.

Jack, trying my hardest not to look at Downpatrick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 217 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.