The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

OPEN GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP

Home Forums General Sports OPEN GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SPECTRUM
    • Total Posts 9
    Imperialcall
    • Total Posts 21

I have backed Greg Norman @ 80/1 for a place, 1-6.

Good record in the Open, came 3rd last year and has won before at Turnberry.

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

For me Garcia 22,Mahan 35,Furyk 40 . Three agin the field

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’ve been hearing all over the place that the rough at Turnberry this week is ‘savage’. When people used to playing on west-Scotland links claim the rough is like a jungle, then you’d sure as hell better not be missing many fairways!
    Tiger Woods has 3 Open titles to his name- 2 at St Andrews in dry and (comparitively) calm conditions, and 1 at Hoylake when things weren’t much more difficult. With missing fairways likely to be so penal at Turnberry this week, I’m finding Woods fairly easy to oppose. The main problem is with whom, given some of the more obvious choices (Garcia, Harrington etc) can’t be backed with much confidence.

I’m liking the look of Steve Stricker, and have already helped myself to some 50, with a small insurace bet for a Top-10 finish. He’s better than ever this year, winning last week to emphasise the point, and has made the top 10 in the last 2 Championships in both ‘easy’ (Carnoustie) and ‘difficult’ (Birkdale) conditions. However, possibly the main issue behind my backing of Stricker is his approach off the tee. If I’m reading my stats off pgatour.com correctly, he’s only used the big dog 106 times out of a possible 736 this season, and that sort of patient approach looks destined to do well this week.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’ve had a small bet on Todd Hamilton at 400 on BF. He’s played fairly well in both majors this year so far and given that’s he’s won at Royal Troon hopefully he can repeat the heroics of 5 years ago!

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I suspect that Spectrum did not expect serious answers to his post but here are my six to ignore in this year’s Open –

Sergio Garcia

Anthony Kim

Graeme McDowell

Sean O’Hair

Henrik Stenson

Nick Watney

Good luck to everybody :)

SPECTRUM
    • Total Posts 9

Do you recommend laying any of these players

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Those are my six selections that I have bet on to win which is why I said they should be ignored as I’m unlikely to back the winner of the Open :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.