The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Olivino

Home Forums Memorials Olivino

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 812

Sad to hear that the 11 year old Olivino suffered a fatal injury when having his first fall (he had only ever failed to complete once when PU – and this was his 61st race …)
    ORS-racing.co.uk reports:
    There was a major PR gaff in the race though. Olivino fell heavily at the second flight and although he got up he was clearly injured and he was eventually caught in front of the enclosures.

The horse had to be put down but for some reason the decision was taken to shoot him and the shot could clearly be heard in the enclosures. In such circumstances would it not have been better to have used an anesthetic to put the horse to sleep?

RIP Brave old warrior
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1455

Sad news. Haven’t heard of him for a while. RIP.

Surely, it’s time to stop using guns in this situation completely. Anesthetics do what is necessary in a much kinder way for everyone concerned.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I appreciate the horses need to be dealt with as quickly as possible but the use of the gun today just drew attention to what was happening – it didn’t help the shot happened to coincide with Stewart taking a breath during commentary so it was actually pretty quiet when it happened, accentuating what had happened.

I don’t think using a gun is an issue when away from the enclosures but in front of enclosures, especially when most of the crowd was families, it would be more sensitive to use an anaesthetic instead.

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Terribly sad. Somehow I always want to read the racing record of the fatalaties – as they’ve paid the ultimate price, I feel it’s the least I can do. This old warrior had also been ridden by the world and his wife during his career and this was his first race since July. RIP lad, sorry you didn’t get the chance of a happy retirement.

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Despite his age not a horse I knew well. Horrible end.

RIP Olivino :(

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13135

Horrible end for a brave servant, the gun somehow seems so barbaric now, and think of the poor connections who wish to say a last farewell. A dignified death should be given to all racehorses.

Condolences to all connections especially the stable lad/lass.
    RIP Olivino :cry: you deserved so much better than this.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 812

I too tend to look up their racing records Mort! Olivino had indeed been there, done it all … by no means a world beater … it would be interesting to hear from someone who knew him – probably a character?
    His fall was particularly yucky, and early on – must have been a complete mis-judgement – surprised he actually got up – quickly too – guess he’d broken a leg but (thankfully) couldn’t see on the replay … still feeling so sad he lost his life in this way … oh I think it was a claiming race too – so connections willing to see him leave …

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.