The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

National Hunt Jockeys – Amount Of Rides?

Home Forums Horse Racing National Hunt Jockeys – Amount Of Rides?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

Would it be possible for any NH jockey to have a similar(ish) amount of rides in a season as Tony McCoy these days, Richard Johnson excluded?

Does none of them want to work as hard as AP, or are they all too deferential to the great man?

Sampras, Woods, Schumacher etc… they all had to give way in the end.

So why hasn’t a single young pup, a winning obsessed maverick, a son McCoy, come into the jumps game over the last 16 years, walked into the weighing room, looked McCoy square in the eye and said "see that jockeys title, I’m ‘avin it".

16 years is a long time.

stonecold68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

I think youre being a little unfair to the hard working NH jockeys out there
    Im sure theyre all hard working but without the backing of a big stable(henderson hobbs o neill etc) then it must be very difficult to even get a decent amount of rides each week never mind every day.
    I feel sorry for some of the jockeys having to travel a lot of miles to ride some big priced "dodgepot" just to bring some money home and put food on the table
    They also get an absolute pittance for riding these animals but im sure that been discussed before!!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The trouble is as long as AP retains his drive, determination and ability (none of which show any signs of diminishing) he will get as many rides as he likes.

And, as Stonecold68, says it is difficult for other riders to get the same number of quality rides to mount a serious challenge.

The only ones with a realistic chance of mounting a challenge would be Walsh, Geraghty or Johnson.

What AP has achieved is amazing – the sentimentalist in me hopes he retires before Johnson does as I think Johnson deserves to win at least one jockeys title. In any other era he would have been a multiple champion.

I believe one day AP will just call it quits – I can’t see him going into decline, he strikes me as being one of those who has to be the best or he does not bother.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1295

I agree Paul, that it would be nice for Johnston to get his hands on the title. Sadly I feel that he is destined to always be the bridesmaid, like the other deserving title aspirant of the past , Adrian Maguire.

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1140

Not wanting to knock AP’s achievements in any way….his record over a long period of time speaks for itself…

Taking the number of winners out of the equation for arguments sake, then at the moment as far as ‘the best’ goes…then surely it goes….

Walsh…..some distance…..the rest….?

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Walsh said on C4 last Sat that he has no intention of riding in the UK full time to chase the jockeys title so rule him out.

The only contender with the volume of rides available is Dickie Johnson

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

Points taken, but the thing is, McCoy didn’t start with an agent who could get him 800+ rides a year. He didn’t start with the job at Pipes or with the McManus gang.

He did start with drive, determination and ability that put him in those positions eventually.

I find it curious that not one other jump jockey has emerged with a similar amount of drive and determination in the intervening 16 years to put it up to the great man. Not a single one.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Points taken, but the thing is, McCoy didn’t start with an agent who could get him 800+ rides a year. He didn’t start with the job at Pipes or with the McManus gang.

He did start with drive, determination and ability that put him in those positions eventually.

I find it curious that not one other jump jockey has emerged with a similar amount of drive and determination in the intervening 16 years to put it up to the great man. Not a single one.

Also good points Cav but is the NH scene the same as it was 16 years ago?

It could be that in 2011 the general standard of jockeys across the board is much higher than it was 16 years ago and, consequently, it is more difficult for a rider no matter how good, how driven to break through and make a significant impact because most of his colleagues have the same drive.

Now I’m not suggesting jockeys did not have drive and determination 16 years ago but has the McCoy effect raised the, for want of a better word, standard across the board.

I’m not saying that is the reason, it’s just a thought?

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

It might be possible if, whoever he is, managed to impress the owners/trainers sufficiently with his winning style ,that they would seek him out to ride their available mounts. Always looking for talent as in any sport. Without the mounts not possible of course.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 836

I think that the role of the agents has played a large part in this. I’m not sure of the exact details, but I think agents first came to the fore about 20 years ago, remember Michael Roberts winning the Flat title? That was definitely down to his agent, who I believe was David Roberts and I think McCoy signed up with him a couple of years later.

Sorry about all the "I thinks" there, but I don’t have the time to check the facts!

chalk jockey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 252

Was the late Graham Rock not M.Roberts agent?I seem to remember reading he backed him to be champion at 100/1or 150/1

If you go to back a certainty always buy a return ticket.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 836

You’re right, found this on The Independent site.

Soon the little figure, hunched slightly upright behind the mane, became a fixture in the big races of the European circuit, and centuries here became as standard as they had been in South Africa. But not a championship. Despite a keenness to oblige which mimicking critics put into the ‘teacher’s pet’ category, Roberts couldn’t get closer than third in the jockeys’ title. For a man who had been raised as a phenomenon it was still not good enough. The astute and industrious Graham Rock was hired as agent, the ambition was hatched, and Rock, in an investment he will take to his grave as underplayed by a factor of 10, had pounds 100 on Roberts for the title at 100-1.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.