The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mia’s Boy

Home Forums Horse Racing Mia’s Boy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Just because something "has always happened", does not make it acceptable, RH. I would love to have seen the reaction in both Australia and Hong Kong to this ride. (Or France – though the fact the filly was double carpet may have failed to stir the Turfistes from their coffee and gauloise).

Pompete, I made no such allegation about Cecil’s involvement. For all I know, sunspot activity in the constellation of Cygnus was responsible for the ride. I stated what I saw and offered it up for discussion.  

I back everyday; and in two years this is the only time I have ever felt the need to comment on this kind of thing. And I gave it a week before I did so in the interest of reasoned debate.  

The race needs looking at and I  found out only last night that the Stewards plan to do so. This is excellent news

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Quote: from apracing on 1:47 pm on May 5, 2007[br]<br>MM,

Did you ask yourself why Mccarthy, a jockey with a 4% strike rate this season and a substantial level stake loss on rides for Chapple-Hyam over several years, was riding this horse?

At a meeting attended by several senior jockeys that regularly ride for the stable, why choose him?

The only plausible explanation is that the horse is a difficult ride and McCarthy knows him from his home work.

AP<br>

The ride looked the complete opposite of someone who knew the horse ap and Chapple-Hyam stated he wanted the horse prominently ridden.<br>Anyway the 14 day ban has been confirmed despite McCarthy’s lame excuse, it will interesting to see if Chapple-Hyam puts him up again.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

A harsh ban. It’s all well and good Chapple Hyam saying he wanted the horse to be ridden prominently. Not that easy once the horse missed the break from his low draw and struggled to put one leg in front of the other in the early stages.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3099

<br>Yeats,

I bow to your obviously superior knowledge of all things connected with horseracing.

AP

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

I don’t buy this idea of "It happens, has done for centuries….." They used to chop peoples’ heads off and display them on London Bridge.<br>I believe we need to modernise racing (along with some other institutions) because if we don’t, respect is lost and participation ceases.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Max

My post was not intended for anyone personally, or at any particular case specifically, just generally.:cool: <br>I’d been backing horses for a long time, and was endlessly frustrated by supporting what I knew to be the best horse in the race only to see it finish down the field.<br>I hate giving money to unworthy causes, plus it didn’t help the confidence to keep backing losers, so I had to come to terms with the situation, which I have now to some degree. Still much to learn, but it becomes much more an open book when you expect it to happen, and make selections accordingly.<br>I may be preaching to the converted in your case, but I would advise anyone who bets seriously to study this aspect carefully, because, whatever some may think or wish, it happens, and unless one budgets for it, they’ll likely end up paying for it.<br>I’d be pretty sure it’s the same everywhere too, regardless of structure or administration.<br>

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3099

<br>Chapple-Hyam may have told the stewards he wanted the horse ridden prominently, but it’s worth bearing in mind that if he’d said he was happy with the ride, he risks a fine of several thousand pounds and a 40 day ban for the horse.

So his orders to McCarthy may not have been quite the same.

AP

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Max…your claim that my claim that you claimed Cecil was involved was wrong, is correct. I didn’t mean to put words into your mouth and accept that what I claimed you claimed was a bit strong.

On a more general point, I also accept that the vast majority of the posting on this site, regarding this issue stem from a love of racing which we all share and equally a concern as to the integrity of racing again which we all share.

So, here’s an idea: how about making Owners, rather than jockeys and trainer, accountable for how their horse performs. Ridiculous idea, maybe – But if I were an owner paying £20,000+ per year to have a horse trained and I were now stood in front of the Stewards being handed down a £5,000 fine, because my horse had been deemed a non-trier. I wouldn’t be too happy.

Just an idea.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

I haven’t seen this race but I have used Adie on my horses a few times and have no problem with him.  He isn’t the strongest in the world but then is is only about 7st 9 wet through.  However he has done what he has been asked to on all occasions.  I have never heard him described as bent and I could tell you 59 other jockeys who you would have way in front of him.  As second rider to CH, I would be suprised if he had blatantly stopped one in such a way, however the rumour mill up at the racecourse today reckon he has lost the job there with CH.

If the race was dodgy then I am genuinely disappointed in Adie (apart from the fact that he has ridden Taj and she could be running during his ban).  If the horse felt wrong under him, then I would hope his employer would give him the benefit of the doubt.  Possibly had this happened last June 3rd then we may not have lost Horatio Nelson in such horrific fashion.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

RH, I agree with you – you have to factor it in – and they are isolated cases. In fact, 3-y-o maidens are off my menu after this, so I learned.

And Pompete…

…your claim that my claim that you claimed Cecil was involved was wrong, is correct. I didn’t mean to put words into your mouth and accept that what I claimed you claimed was a bit strong.

…errrrr…ok sah!:biggrin:   Nice one.

And apologies for the digression, everyone. Saturday night, y’know.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

As has been said, we can understand CH not offering support at the enquiry and thus avoiding the fine and 40 day ban on the horse. However interesting rumour that CH won’t use McCarthy again. He was a respectable 20-144 over the last 5 years. One thing if you genuinely think the horse was stopped and you’ve been lied to, but a sad lack of trust and support if a credible explanation was offered. I remember yonks ago the relationship between Winter- Francome not being the same as it was after the latter’s ride on the unfortunately named Stopped.<br>Overall there isn’t much loyalty in racing. On an apparent issue of competence rather than corruption . Stoute won’t have Abdulla’s retained rider Hughes on his horses.Fair enough Hughes polarises opinion and isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (joining R Hills and Spencer) but he’s good enough for other Abdulla trainers of the stature of Gosden, Cecil,Charlton, Hills and Perrett. Any owner or racing manager worth their salt would have sent the horsebox to take the horses away at dawn next morning. The Home Affairs ride at Epsom seemed to be the catalyst, but Hughes isn’t the first and won’t be the last to get trapped behind fading horses with horses rolling in on the camber on the outside keeping him in- these things happen at Epsom.

(Edited by Lingfield at 8:55 pm on May 6, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Does Hughes really polarise opinion? I thought that everyone agrees he’s s**t
    e.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

You can try and make excuses for Hughes’s ride aboard Home Affairs, Lingfield, but it was nothing more than sheer incompetence – something the ‘Wolvo Reject’ is all too famous for.

As for Mia’s Boy, the arguments both for and against the horse seemingly being stopped can be justified. On the one hand the horse looks less than straight forward, and certainly ran in snatches, but on the other he was going well enough turning in and McCarthy looked less than keen to ask him to quicken. Even when he did begin to run on, Adrian was sitting relatively still.

To be honest I’d be wary of the correlation between Chapple-Hyam’s story and that of McCarthy, if only for the reasons mentioned by apracing previously. After all, PCH is hardly likely to ‘miss’ the services of the likes of Adrian, yet may not feel obliged to pay a hefty fine and keep his horse(s) off the track for an extended period.

I did notice though that Mia’s Boy is owned by Iraj Parvizi who, if memory serves, is a major player in the oil industry. Of Dubaian origin I doubt whether he’s all that bothered about keeping a horse back in a pokey Lingfield maiden and he wouldn’t be the type of owner I’d risk annoying too much (if indeed it is the same Iraj Parvizi).

(Edited by LetsGetRacing at 10:04 pm on May 6, 2007)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

As I have said on my original post on this thread PCH comes across as a genuine nice guy, though I never sat down to dinner with him.<br>But how the hell do we know what instructions he gave the Jockey, Was their pre race conversation recorded by the stewards, be honest he could tell the stewards any old cock and bull story and nobody would be any wiser.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:53 pm on May 6, 2007[br]Does Hughes really polarise opinion? I thought that everyone agrees he’s s**t<br>e.<br>

<br>What’s your enlightened opinion on R Hills and Spencer then David? These two also seem to cause excitement on another forum , the latter being a former champion jockey of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.