Matt Chapman at it again…..

Home Forums Horse Racing Matt Chapman at it again…..

This topic contains 21 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by KevMc KevMc 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1127

“The main positive (beautifully illustrated by this thread) of Chapman is his ability to rattle the Alpen-eating, cardigan-wearing group of fuddy-duddies loosely described as ‘Racing People’.”

What an inane comment. How can alienating your core audience be in any way described as a “positive”?

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1298

Some of his comment are not disimilar to how Big Mac was back in the day and I suspect he is probably encouraged to exaggerate his persona just like Big Mac did (taking on the pantomine bad guy role) – just because he might not go over with the core audience (who will most likely ignore him rather than turn off) doesn’t mean he isn’t appealing to the younger brash generation.

Most of the time I don’t have a problem with him and he does more often than not ask the questions most don’t (or won’t risk) asking in case of upsetting people – but he does have the acting like a pillcok moments to which I just roll my eyes, take no notice and move on.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26327

tbh I agree with most of that LD. Matt is in the Big Mac pantomime/exaggeration/create controversy role. So I can see why ITV use him. But if a lot of us racing types are put off by the OTT prize giving presentation – a lot of York’s racegoers will think the same… And even forgot to press the on button on the mike today. Can’t believe it is only cardigan-wearing fuddy-duddies that don’t like it, LS. LOL

value is everything

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1298

To be fair there are plenty of other commentators/pundits on all the racing channels that have Chapman moments of buffoonery that I have much less time for than Chappers himself but I think it is just a case of putting up with him as the for me the good usually outweighs the bad but I conceed he is not for everyone.

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1371

Chapman’s definitely not for me, I did a lot of channel hopping today keeping an eye on the football scores (well done the Eagles of Crystal Palace by the way !) and every time I turned back to ITV I could hear Chapman speaking his usual nonsense trying so hard to be another John McCririck.

I really can’t see he’s doing anything to make horse racing more enjoyable to the casual viewer.

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1127

As others have pointed out, Chapman is far more restrained on ATR. It would appear obvious that he has clearly been instructed to be brash and OTT by the powers that be at ITV and this betrays a fault in their reasoning.

Those who have decided that being brash, loud and overbearing is the best way to attract young people have obviously never heard of Greta Thunberg.

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

He goes a little OTT with his presentations (trying too hard IYAM) but he’s no bad egg. There was a moment or two that had people chuckling in the parade ring during the Japan presentation, mainly his reference to ‘the lads’ etc which fine as he also used their correct names prior IIRC.

Matt asks difficult questions and creates excellent debate, like any good pundit/journo/interviewer should.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.