The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2018

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I thought I’d take a look at this in the aftermath of Cracksman’s epic defeat in the Prince of Wales’ and am astounded that Corals have Masar at 12/1. Surely just a 1st 3 finish in the Eclipse and he’d head here with a fantastic chance.

Masar 12/1

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Corals have cut Masar into 8/1 now.

At prices, I just wonder if Windstoss makes some e/w appeal at 40/1. I don’t think he was anywhere near his best at Epsom on the soft ground but still ran well to be within 4 lengths of Cracksman at the line. It was a quick surface on which he won last year’s German Derby so a return to similar conditions should suit and the German’s have a cracking recent record in this.

Bobby BluebellBobby Bluebell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 216

Who is Aidan going to run in this now?

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Cliffs Of Moher and Idaho I should imagine. Neither of whom will trouble Masar.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22184

Looks likely Cracksman is out

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/cracksman-to-swerve-king-george/149855

Member since March 2008
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22184

I’ve just had a pound each way on Rostropovich at 50/1 with Boylesports. He’s roughly around 16’s everywhere else

Member since March 2008
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

I think any slight chance of seeing Cracksman at Ascot is now gone with Dettori’s 10 day ban ruling him out of that meeting plus Goodwood.

Participant
    • Total Posts 216

Well, he can’t ride Enable and Cracksman in the Arc…so, this race might be an opportunity for another jockey to get to know Cracksman

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

Rab Havlin is the most obvious replacement for Dettori on Cracksman , having rode the colt to victory on its racecourse debut at Newmarket .

Not that it will matter much , as Crystal Ocean will take the world of beating at Ascot .

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 216

This race just got interesting…AOB says Kew Gardens likely to go here next.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Looks like being a rather competitive renewal without having a real standout star – Crystal Ocean most likely winner as I think Poet’s Word is not as strong a stayer at 12F.

Will be interesting to see who gets the leg up on CO as I would assume Moore will be claimed for Kew Gardens if he runs.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2570

LD73, will both go there considering they are trained by Stoute?

I actually think Poet’s Word has shaped in many of his 1m2 races like 1m4 would be better….

He’s also won over 1m4 on soft…

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Two different connections so I don’t see why they wouldn’t run both and the only other option for PW would be to wait for the Juddmonte which is towards the end of August and from Stoute’s point of view having two darts is better than one.

Think PW is a quicker horse this year than he was last year and at Ascot he didn’t look like another 2F would suit as he wasn’t putting any more distance into Cracksman in the last 1F and at Meydan he looked the most likely winner 2F out but seemed to be outstayed by Hawkbill.

The one thing that may play into his hands was if the didn’t go a strong pace from the start, I think he would have a better turn of foot than CO does but off a strong gallop I could see CO wearing him down in the last 1F.

DegaussedDegaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

This looks quite a bland looking Group 1 with Cracksman an unlikely runner. Crystal Ocean should be one to take on, in my opinion, at 13/8.

I like ROSTROPOVICH at a double-figure price. His form on better ground this year reads:

1st – Listed race
    2nd – Group 2
    2nd – Group 1

He seems likely to take his chance. LTO was his best performance yet and conditions should suit.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4848

Am I going mad?

I think CORONET could be a huge price for this at 10/1 !! She has ran twice at Ascot with a win and a third and to be honest I think when she was third the soft ground may have been against her.
    Peslier has ridden her before so will know her to a certain degree and admittedly on official ratings she has to find about seven or eight pounds but she ran well in France on ground softer than she likes and only just got beat. So at tens I think she may be a bit of value because surely not all of AOB’s will turn up and maybe not even Cracksman will either which could make my 10/1 seem a good each way price.

:good: :good:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.