The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17050

Thought there would be a bigger market formed here, but just a few listed so far…..

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/king-george-vi-chase/winner

I’ve had my eye on Master Tommytucker for a year and a half now, and thought he would end this season with a higher profile.

I wasn’t wrong about that, but sadly, he’s became well known for all the wrong reasons. He just can’t stay on his feet. I’m convinced there’s a very good horse in there, so I think he’s interesting at 50’s. Not interesting enough to bet him this far out though.

The more sensible option might be the unlisted Copperhead. He’s surely a Gold Cup horse, and I was very impressed with him at Ascot. He’ll surely be introduced to the market soon, and he’d be my main hope right now.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2326

Having won over 3m2, 3m1 and 3m wouldn’t Kempton be a minor concern? Rated 155 it probably depends if he does anything more this season, but i’d imagine if he’s off this mark they’ll go welsh nash!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Lemons68Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 426

I would already have one interest only at this stage, and that would be Clan Des Obeaux

Silver Spoon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25

Win or lose at Cheltenham, I think that this is CDO’s race, and though I think it would be just a little unwise to bet this far out, if I had to, I would be with him 100%

• Total Posts 17050

Yeah Jack, options certainly open for him, and knowing the yard, Welsh National a real possibility, but I’ll no be diving in too early anyway.

• Total Posts 17050

Copperhead very definitely didn’t advertise his claims at Cheltenham, and that shout for Chepstow might not be too far away.

Same price 33’s is Real Steel. Yeah, not too many Irish challengers come over, and The Savills Chase is a big draw too, but owners have a history with this race, and they have a horse who would be ideal for going right handed round a flat track.

I thought he ran a screamer in The Gold Cup, and if Racing ever gets back to some kind of normality, then I might be tempted with that 33’s.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2897

Yep…would not be surprised if this was his main target. Warm up at Down Royal, where he has won before (or the Daily Star Chase, if they wanted to avoid CDO) then here.

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1110

Just hope we get a better field this year; the Saville’s chase has really affected it. The last good race was Cue Card/Vautour/Don Cossack

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 320

Unless there is a shift in power, I can see the King George going the way of whatever the Whitbread is called now. That used to be one of the best races of the season. Now it is too close to Punchestown.

Mullins and Elliot look unlikely to send their best horses here. What else is going to run? The track does not suit Santini and I am not sure it well suit Lostintranslation either. I doubt Nicholls will be running Cyrname again. Only Champ emerged as a top British novice chaser.

I can see it being another small field with CDO winning again. At least Nicholls has accepted he is not a Cheltenham horse now!

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2326

I’d say Champ would do just fine at Kempton if Nicky allowed him to go right handed. Jumping would need to brush up of course.

Mullins doesn’t start bringing his main horses out until November onwards, and that’s even getting later so it is probably a lot to ask to send one of his “GC contenders” here. I’d say Real Steel connections + willie will have a big red circle around the King George though.
    Form generally right handed until the GC ofc, and i think Kempton would suit him nicely (sharper test). Perfect prestigious G1 to target for him.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

I think Vinndication at 33s is interesting. He was favourite for the Ultima of top weight, although he seems better going righthanded, in the end he was just edged out up the hill. He had an entry for the King George last year after winning the Sodexo Gold Cup at Ascot, but he got injured. He is only 7 and doesn’t have too many miles raced in his career so far. His novice form is tied in with Champ, Defi du Seuil and Lostintranslation.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 364

Id be worried about vinndication having the speed for the KG , I get the feeling he,s a Native River type and needs a proper test , I’ve stated prev I’d aim him at the GC , not saying he,d win but I could see him running into a place

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1500

CDO around the 5-1 mark is an each way bet to nothing. As others have said there won’t be a lot of opposition turning up.

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1110

The KG used to be a great post-Xmas treat to look forward to, but seems to be going the same way as the summer King George! Perhaps they really need to bump up the prize money (compared to the Savilles) to attract more runners

• Total Posts 17050

Grass, Jack, Pleased to see I’m not the only one liking him.

Maybe just a tad early, but wouldn’t take much to persuade me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.