ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

This topic contains 876 replies, has 127 voices, and was last updated by GoldenMiller34 GoldenMiller34 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 877 total)
  • Author
    yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2891

What have these 4 “things” got in common?

Darryll Holland
    The Tote
    Racecourse Commentating
    Dancing On Ice

Pity ITV racing & ATR don’t follow suit.

Does Chapman add or detract from horse racing and it’s coverage? For me it’s a definite detract.

Not seen his performance on Dancing on Ice but read some of the tweets such as “cringeworthy”. That’s exactly how I would describe his harassment of people in the paddock prior to races or his fawning over jockeys or trainers he favours such as Adam Kirby last night.

And interviewing jockeys prior to weighing in should be a definite no no. Poor old Nicola Currie was stood there with 2 stone of lead last night.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 908

He ends up interviewing Nicola Currie when he had hoped for a beyond the grave exclusive with John Curry :)

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1713

What have these 4 “things” got in common?

Darryll Holland
    The Tote
    Racecourse Commentating
    Dancing On Ice

Pity ITV racing & ATR don’t follow suit.

Does Chapman add or detract from horse racing and it’s coverage? For me it’s a definite detract.

Not seen his performance on Dancing on Ice but read some of the tweets such as “cringeworthy”. That’s exactly how I would describe his harassment of people in the paddock prior to races or his fawning over jockeys or trainers he favours such as Adam Kirby last night.

And interviewing jockeys prior to weighing in should be a definite no no. Poor old Nicola Currie was stood there with 2 stone of lead last night.

Yeats you are a dinosaur on here Chapman is well liked by viewers and lots of people love him if you don’t like him tune to the snobs on racing uk and don’t watch atr or itv racing.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 908

Yeats isn’t a dinosaur. Like me and many I expect he prefers the coverage on RUK. In general, the RUK presenters and analysts are highly professional, intelligent, informative, humorous when appropriate and I find their broadcasts have a rich quality. They are not snobbish and I say that as a Tory-hating Millwall fan! It is extremely rare that I have to endure a snippet of ITV/ATR coverage to catch a big Jumps race. But even then Chapman is unavoidable.

If that sort of style is what you prefer, Steve, good for you. Happy viewing. My concern is over whether the Chapman personality (like McCririck before him) is the correct image for racing to project to mainstream, casual viewers. Is it going to win over the young or is it, in fact, reinforcing a stereotypical impression of racing – shouty, loutish, lads only – that may alienate and lose potential viewers? My fear is that Chapman puts people off and that is bad for racing as a whole going forward. (Facing a ratings slump Dancing On Ice wasted no time in axing him).

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1713

Yeats isn’t a dinosaur. Like me and many I expect he prefers the coverage on RUK. In general, the RUK presenters and analysts are highly professional, intelligent, informative, humorous when appropriate and I find their broadcasts have a rich quality. They are not snobbish and I say that as a Tory-hating Millwall fan! It is extremely rare that I have to endure a snippet of ITV/ATR coverage to catch a big Jumps race. But even then Chapman is unavoidable.

If that sort of style is what you prefer, Steve, good for you. Happy viewing. My concern is over whether the Chapman personality (like McCririck before him) is the correct image for racing to project to mainstream, casual viewers. Is it going to win over the young or is it, in fact, reinforcing a stereotypical impression of racing – shouty, loutish, lads only – that may alienate and lose potential viewers? My fear is that Chapman puts people off and that is bad for racing as a whole going forward. (Facing a ratings slump Dancing On Ice wasted no time in axing him).

Peter Naughton none of those the worse presenter ever on a racing channel
    Stuart Machin dull as ditchwater
    Nick Luck – dull and humourless snob

Many more could be mentioned.

Maybe refrain from saying Chapman was sacked when it is quoted in most media that he quit.

Chapman does bring viewers in as ratings for itv racing show, itv rescued racing from deaths door and Chapman and the team have brought new audiences to a sport that was dying on Channel 4 through their use of dullards like Nick Luck. Your fears have been proved wrong with the ratings.

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 306

Racing may have been dying on Channel 4 and the viewing figures have improved since moving to ITV, but whether these have anything to do with the presenters on either channel is very debatable.

Are the improved viewing figures not just a case of the further you move up the channel list the better the viewing figures are? Has the moving of The Great British Bake Off not proved this. Although it maybe Channel 4s, according to the viewing figures, best ever show. It does not get anywhere near to the viewers it got on BBC1.

7.7 million for the 2017 final compared to 15.9 for 2016 final on BBC1.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 52

Not sure about the viewing figures,2million went missing on Grand National Day and the Opening Show and ITV4 are down so the overall total for 2017 may well be less but the Racing Post have been strangely silent on the subject so who knows?
    As for Matt Chapman he clearly was hired by ITV racing to appeal to all the knuckle draggers but obviously even they cant put up with him so maybe he will rethink his style with trophy presentions etc

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 563

All this changing channels and presenters to attract new viewers is a load of cobblers anyway. The only way to attract more viewers is to get rid of the whip. I have watched closing stages of races with friends and family over the years and many turn away from the screen and say things like “how hard is he whipping that horse, I cant watch”. I try to explain why they use it and its ‘only encouragement and doesn’t hurt them” but they wont have it. That’s the crux of it, not the appeal of presenters. Personally I ain’t bothered either way if the whip stays or goes, but if it goes I expect more people will watch the sport.

Crepello1957
    Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 710

Coverage from Cheltenham and Doncaster today was pretty terrible. Poor camera work, one camera not in focus and not in HD, too many interviews, no sight of the horses in the paddock, when they had plenty of time to show them. Just awful, I fast forwarded all Matt Chapman, so I don’t know just how bad he was today; I suspect very bad.

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 601

Think the Donny pictures were sourced from ATR hence lack of HD but I could be wrong.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7381

Ruby Walsh was the guest on The Opening Show this morning and was plied with questions by Ollie Bell about the welfare of Douvan, Faugheen’s next run and which horses were going to run in what races at the Cheltenham Festival, he also asked would Yorkhill and Un De Sceaux take each other on and if so which would Ruby chose to ride? Ruby was loath to answer but Matt Chapman answered for him stating that Ruby would ensure that he would ride both Yorkhill and Un De Sceaux at Cheltenham so UDS should be aimed at the Ryanair. Ruby seemed happy to have been let off the hook and carried on giving vague answers to most of Ollie Bells questions while the rest were answered by his new Manager Matt Chapman :unsure:

Ruby was finally asked for one outstanding runner at Cheltenham and was finding it difficult to name one out of the many Mullins contenders so once again MC supplied the answer ‘Footpad’ he shouted in desperation followed by a look that said ‘think what you like’ from Ruby….and so it continued and at the end of this in depth grilling we had learned precisely nothing. :yes:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 908

I very much doubt that Ruby knew the answers to the vast majority of Oli’s questions because I think Willie Mullins likes to leave it as late as possible to gauge horses’ exact well-being/form on the gallops before deciding which horses are going to the Festival, in which race each will run, and how strongly each is fancied.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7381

That was exactly it GM, we all knew what Ruby’s response was going to be to those questions even Oli and the team, but they had to be asked… it was just that Matt Chapman wanted so much more and as it wasn’t happening he made it up as the interview progressed.

I always wait until the Festival to see where Mr. Mullins places his horses and back them on the day, you get a very low return but at least you do get a run. :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Running Rein
    Running Rein
    Participant
    • Total Posts 172

Whilst Ruby certainly wouldn’t be keen on revealing too much of the Closutton thinking that particular ‘interview’ was not assisted by the fact that 3 of 4 of Oli Bill’s questions weren’t actually questions but instead vague statements proffered in the general direction of Walsh.
    Oli Bell usually a lot tighter than that and I would be surprised if there wasn’t a post mortem afterwards.

Walsh is brilliant and peerless in deconstructing race riding and analysis on neutral matters…on giving insight on Willie’s runners…not so much.

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Viewer never given time to view horses in paddock, that dreadful morning show, don`t bother with it
    Oh and don`t forget highlighting one horse all day only for said animal to get turned over, they never have a script for it. :unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 877 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.