ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

This topic contains 966 replies, has 135 voices, and was last updated by yeats yeats 2 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 967 total)
  • Author
    paulostermeyer
    paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4561

I appreciate ITV is to broadcasting, what the Daily Star is to serious journalism.

It’s clear they have fulfilled their remit with their coverage of horse racing this afternoon aiming at the viewer with an IQ of 80 which, granted, is probably the average ITV viewer.

Talk about pandering to the lowest common denominator, I don’t think they could dumb their coverage down any lower.

Ed Chamberlin, where the hell did they dig him up from, has the charisma of a wet haddock out of water, looking at the camera like a rabbit with myxomatosis staring at a set of car headlights.

The commentaries are being ruined by asking for the thoughts of Luke Harvey and AP McCoy mid-race, who cares?

Why have them anyway. Harvey is a failed jockey who thinks he is a comedy performer. McCoy may have been a great jockey but suffers the same charisma by-pass as Chamberlin.

What is the point of having a weather forecasting piece of totty – what does she add?

Finally, Matt Chapman has gone into full idiot mode, setting himself up as a McCririck Mk 2 and only succeeding in making himself look an absolute idiot.

Dire, dire, dire

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25624

You missed one out, Paul. Jockey/racing expert Vic Pendleton.

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20373

You’re not enjoying it then Paul….?

Lucy Verasamy is a better choice than Michael Fish for the weather reports, not needed I agree but not her fault

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25624

I was keen to give the new programme a chance, but this is awful.

Look on the bright side, it can only surely get better?

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25624

The commentaries are being ruined by asking for the thoughts of Luke Harvey and AP McCoy mid-race, who cares?

Seem to remember the ITV 7 doing the same with John Oaksey giving his thoughts. Or was that early Channel 4?

value is everything

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 210

Agree with pretty much all of this. Chamberlain is normally much slicker, must be nervous.

Thought Chapman might tone it down, that was wishful thinking. Also a general air of ‘top bants’, which is a big turn off.

Absolutely no need for Victoria Pendleton in this context. Alice was introduced then not seen for 90 mins.

On the plus side, I liked the feature on Jonjo. That, and the opening montage, contained some great archive footage.

But not great. Am sure they can do better.

andrew_03
    andrew_03
    Participant
    • Total Posts 808

Didn’t they regularly used to get Francome to give his thought during the race?

I don’t think its a bad idea to be honest, sooner get the thoughts of ex-jockeys on how a horse is travelling than a comentator.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25624

Where are the form experts?

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20373

Where are the form experts?

Studying

IBRacing
    IBRacing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I disagree with you guys I actually am pretty surprised I think its good.

Its important to remember they are not aiming at a Racing UK audience, this is essentially for the casual / less informed viewer and I think their product has been really good so far. It has an entertaining feel to it and is definitely better than Channel 4 coverage.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25624

I disagree with you guys I actually am pretty surprised I think its good.

Its important to remember they are not aiming at a Racing UK audience, this is essentially for the casual / less informed viewer and I think their product has been really good so far. It has an entertaining feel to it and is definitely better than Channel 4 coverage.

Expected some dumbing down, but not as much as this. Not enough casual/less informed viewers to make it a success. Got to take some racing enthusiasts with them.

value is everything
    The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8707

‘Hair or No Hair’?……Enough said!

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20373

Those with RUK can chose to watch that if the ITV coverage is not for them.
    I think whoever was presenting or whatever the format people would find something wrong with it, we do love a moan don’t we. Some are not happy unless they are moaning so it should be up their street at least.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 981

Prepared to give it time, but please, not Victoria Pendleton again. And i love matt Chapman’s enthusiasm, but this village idiot/comic relief stuff is embarrassing.

Viltash
    Viltash
    Participant
    • Total Posts 196

I think they need more presenters.
    One for each runner should do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.